Extreme Longevity - the American Presidential legacy ?

Koogie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found this story fascinating. The 4% rule might not serve the Tyler family very well given their longevity risk..... :angel:

How two of President John Tyler's grandsons are still alive, 174 years later
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-two-of-president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive/

""John Tyler was the first vice president elevated to the presidency on the death of the chief executive and the first president to marry in the White House. Nearly 175 years later, two of his grandchildren are still around.

Harrison Ruffin Tyler, 89, is one of two living grandsons of President John Tyler, who was born in 1790, one year after George Washington was sworn in as president.

Just three generations -- President Tyler, his son Lyon Tyler, and grandson Harrison -- span almost the entire history of the United States.""

Yep, I thought the fact my maternal grandfather (b. 1850) was a teen during the civil war was exceptional, but the Tylers beat that by sixty years.

I also remember this story from a couple years ago....

U.S. Still Paying a Civil War Pension
A North Carolina woman is the daughter of a Civil War veteran, and still collects his benefits.
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...ments-payroll-151-years-after-last-shot-fired

""Irene Triplett – the 86-year-old daughter of a Civil War veteran – collects $73.13 each month from her father's military pension. The identity of Triplett was first reported by The Wall Street Journal in 2014.

Triplett's father was Mose Triplett, born in 1846. He joined the Confederate army in 1862, but later deserted and signed up with the Union. His first wife died and they did not have any children. He later married Elida Hall who was at least 50 years younger. They had five children, three of whom did not survive infancy. But Irene, and her younger brother Everette did. Mose Triplett was 83 when Irene was born, nearly 87 when her brother Everette came along.

Mose Triplett died a few days after returning from the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1938.""

Back
Top Bottom