I don't want a smartphone!!

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I feel like I am being forced into getting a smartphone. DH and I both have good, serviceable dumb phones. I sometimes have difficulty hearing over the phone and my experience is that I can hear much better with the dumb phone than a smartphone. We have an old plan with Verizon for under $50 per month (for 2 dumb phones) (including all taxes and fees) that gives us al the voice minutes and texts we need. We spend our summers in a mountainous area that is only serviced by Verizon. When I look at the Verizon plans for smartphones, they would cost ALOT more than the $50 we are paying now for 2 phones plus there would be the cost of the smartphone itself.

We have a MacBook pro we use at home that does everything we need on the internet plus we have an iPad we take when traveling. We see people with smartphones who walk around looking at them all the time and can't even eat at a restaurant without constantly checking their smartphones! We don't want that. Some of our friends/family have smartphones (costing a small fortune), but many still have dumb phones and we have a few friends with no cell phone at all!

Today I got a card in the mail from a charitable organization to which I have been a donor for years. The charity was having a donor appreciation event with a free nice lunch and free tickets to a baseball game. When I tried to sign up online to attend the lunch and game I found out I had to have a smartphone to receive the tickets for entry to the lunch and the baseball game. I was disappointed that I would not be able to attend so I called the charity and explained I had no smartphone. The first person I talked to was no help and seemed surprised that there a actually people in the world without a smart phone. I later received a call from someone else at the charity who apologized and said they would personally make sure I got tickets to the events (they must have looked up how much $$ I have given to the organization over the years!).

Anyone else on this Forum who still has a dumb phone? Are you finding events, etc. where you must have a smartphone to participate?

I don't want a darn smartphone!

Various third parties offer ordinary cell phones that operate on Verizon's network. I think that's true of GreatCall who sells various phones and plans that might meet your preferences.

I was in the same place as you. I finally gave in. I live in the mountains where there is no cell service. Verizon has been closest over the years but that is no longer always the case. I pay Boom Mobile, which uses the Verizon network, 29.99 a month for 2 gigs of data and unlimited talk and text. This is within a few cents of what I was paying Verizon for the dumb phone. Their operators are in the USA so no language issue. The smart phone actually has a couple of good things on it. I can look thing up on the web and don't have to wait until I get home. The maps work great for navigating when needed without lugging around another piece of equipment. I have access to my schedule which I keep in my Chrome browser. This lets me check the schedule and set appointments without having to review and reschedule as needed when I get home. When I am sitting in a chair waiting for an appointment, I can kill time using the FIRE app! I guess I have been converted to the dark side... :facepalm:

I was in the same place as you. I finally gave in. I live in the mountains where there is no cell service. Verizon has been closest over the years but that is no longer always the case. I pay Boom Mobile, which uses the Verizon network, 29.99 a month for 2 gigs of data and unlimited talk and text. This is within a few cents of what I was paying Verizon for the dumb phone. Their operators are in the USA so no language issue. The smart phone actually has a couple of good things on it. I can look thing up on the web and don't have to wait until I get home. The maps work great for navigating when needed without lugging around another piece of equipment. I have access to my schedule which I keep in my Chrome browser. This lets me check the schedule and set appointments without having to review and reschedule as needed when I get home. When I am sitting in a chair waiting for an appointment, I can kill time using the FIRE app! I guess I have been converted to the dark side... :facepalm:

I have never heard of Boom Mobile. I will have to look them up. What kind of smartphone did you get, did you buy it from Boom Mobile and what was the cost?

Ever seen the movie "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or "The Stepford Wives" (original with Katherine Ross)?

I felt the same way too before my smartphone vowing to resist. But you will get used to having one in time, it won't hurt :(.

Last edited:
Even with a smartphone I was be annoyed as heck if I had to use it instead of my laptop to sign up for something. But, you can't expect old technology to continue to be available and cheaper than new. You may like your turntable but buying an mp3 player and digital music is cheaper and easier than buying a new turntable and LPs.

Towers are still going up in places. My mountains used to have virtually no service either, but it continues to get better with more carriers adding towers nearby. And check for a cheaper service that uses the same network. Here's a fairly recent article that gives some options. https://clark.com/technology/verizon-total-wireless/ Unfortunately the Total Wireless website is down, so I don't know if it's still available or if there's another option.

As far as not wanting to be stuck with your face in the phone all the time, just don't! But it is nice to have google, especially maps, at your fingertips. Not to mention a good camera with video capability. And ability to retrieve emails, in case, for example, you get in a car and forget the address of a place you were given.

I have never heard of Boom Mobile. I will have to look them up. What kind of smartphone did you get, did you buy it from Boom Mobile and what was the cost?

Its a Moto G 5+ which is a pretty nice phone IMHO. I got it at Costco for about $200 last June.

With a flip phone, I felt flustered as folks assume I had a smart phone so would just text me. Of course, to text on a flip phone is a chore.

On my smartphone, now I can get by with most tasks (texting, web surfing, installing and using apps). Except using the device to make and receive phone calls, I still prefer the flip :facepalm:.

I was corrupted during my w*rk life. It was a necessity when traveling overseas (email, texts, maps). DW held out a little longer, but got got corrupted by using mine.

As Walt said, resistance is futile.:D

With a flip phone, I felt flustered as folks assume I had a smart phone so would just text me. Of course, to text on a flip phone is a chore.

On my smartphone, now I can get by with most tasks (texting, web surfing, installing and using apps). Except using the device to make and receive phone calls, I still prefer the flip :facepalm:.

Worse than just phone calls, I have a Google Voice phone at home on my computer because I don't have any other way to use the phone. Now when one of my kids calls my Google Voice number I have to figure out how to get that app to work for a phone call. Then there is my regular cell phone which is totally different! :nonono::nonono::nonono: (But I am still now attached to this smart phone. :blush:)

Op here, I don't have any problem with texting on my dumb phone.. I don't text that much anyway, I mainly use it to talk.

When I have borrowed others smartphones (mostly Apple phones) to talk on I have found that the sound is much inferior to my dumb phone. Is that true of all smart phones? Can you hear on some better than others?

Regarding using the Verizon tower for some of the other brands like Boom, is the coverage identical to Verizon's? I can only get Verizon at my mountain house (no AT&T or Sprint coverage at all) and sometimes I even have trouble getting Verizon, but I usually can find somewhere in the house to get Verizon. How will I know I can get coverage if I go with one of the other brands?

Even if I go with a less expensive company it still looks like I will be paying more for 2 lines and still have the expense of buying 2 new phones for something I don't really want. I think I will resist for as long as I can.

When I have borrowed others smartphones (mostly Apple phones) to talk on I have found that the sound is much inferior to my dumb phone. Is that true of all smart phones? Can you hear on some better than others?

I have used DW's iPhone 6S for voice and it does seem to be a tad more clear than my dumb TracFone, but not enough to make any noise about.

Maybe the difference is network or simply location?

I'm not sure how many/often you make calls. I go through Tracfone where I can pay as I go since I am hardly on the phone.

I have an older Samsung Galaxy Stardust and have replaced the battery twice. I have been looking for a replacement phone for about 2 months now. I found a good deal on Amazon this morning on the "Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone with Amazon Exclusive Free $40 Airtime Bundle." It comes with 1000 minutes/2000 text ans 2gb data preloaded and the additional $40 airtime for $99 shipped and it runs off of Verizon. Usually the phone goes for $100 to $150 without the bundle being offered to Amazon prime members.

Voice texting is the bomb! No typing! :cool:

I can't live (as easy) without my Google Nexus 5X smart phone, and I am older than dirt.

Personally I want to keep up with the latest devices/apps just so that when I'm 90 I'm quite able to handle myself in a world of younger people. I don't want to be limited by my inability to use a new device let's say that is a derivative of a smart phone just because I didn't want to be bothered with a smart phone etc. I also want to have access to whatever replaces Uber or Lyft when I'm 90. Things like that, but probably many things that I can't even imagine now. Personally I want to be on that curve, if I cant be ahead of it.

Twenty years ago many were saying the same about mobile phones and you can see where you would be if you decided against having one. For example here where I am if you're getting a delivery they will send you a text to tell you the time slot. Not a phone call or an email. Must be a text.

Just look at the difference between older people that can use the internet versus those that can't. That could be me someday if I fall behind.

I don't know about all smart phones, but with two basic Motorola (I'm on Android) smartphones I've had, yes, sound is not good. I've often had to put the phone on speaker to hear what the other person is saying.

Wonder why the phone part is so bad and playing video like on Youtube the smartphone can crank the volume up pretty good.

Plus, I a flip phone just fits the contour of human face better than a flat smartphone.

That said, now I have a check my phone at night habit which I can't break! :facepalm:

We have AT & T and pay 86/month for 2 smartphones. I love being able to play games or get on the internet while waiting in doctor's offices, etc. I have a hearing loss and can hear great on my Apple 7.

Op here, I don't have any problem with texting on my dumb phone.. I don't text that much anyway, I mainly use it to talk.

Regarding using the Verizon tower for some of the other brands like Boom, is the coverage identical to Verizon's? I can only get Verizon at my mountain house (no AT&T or Sprint coverage at all) and sometimes I even have trouble getting Verizon, but I usually can find somewhere in the house to get Verizon. How will I know I can get coverage if I go with one of the other brands?

Even if I go with a less expensive company it still looks like I will be paying more for 2 lines and still have the expense of buying 2 new phones for something I don't really want. I think I will resist for as long as I can.

There is an app for Everything! I put an app on my phone just the other day that boosts the volume. It helps for this deaf old Hermit. :LOL:

The coverage is the same with Boom as it was with Verizon. My phone says it is connected to the Verizon network. (Boom has all networks. Verizon is their Red network.)

I can't remember the sound quality on my flip phone since it's been so long, but quality depends a lot on your signal. Mine (Moto G4 now, Samsung G4? before that) is fine when the signal is decent.

I have days where I'm ready to toss my smartphone and go back to the simplicity of a flip phone. The old dumb phone did one thing extremely well ... it was a phone. The smartphone does a ga-zillion things only fairly well. I don't recall ever butt-dialing with my flip phone. Or finding a text message in composition mode that read: xK8h yek bngfd%$ kd*0kduyel!

I'm no help. I love my smart phone. I find it so useful when I'm out and need to check prices, reviews, directions, or even entertain myself while waiting at the doctor's office.

I have a moto e (2015) I paid $30 for from Freedom Pop. I don't get a cell signal but use it on wifi at the ponderosa. Comes with 200 free minutes 500 text, and 500mb of data per month. I do pay $4 a month to rollover my unused monthly data that's it. in 7 months I may have made 20 phone calls not including wifi calls. I was able to sign up because my zip code extents 50 miles up to the interstate. Check deposit, Mobile Passport, airline info, certainly made me a believer. I have 5+ GB of reserve data right now.

https://www.freedompop.com

still have a flip phone thing wont die and with unlimited calls text and data for $40/month (was able to keep my mega corp AT&T discount in retirement) I'm not in any hurry to change. However, it has been getting harder to charge lately sometimes anyway So, I assume the connection is just getting loose or some such thing with age (ten yrs old with only one battery change and that was within the past year) so i assume I will be forced to go with one of the "old people" type plans (to quote a sweet young cousin) probably with AMAC I think I can get a plan for about the same price (limited data but i don't use much data now anyway) with either a new flip phone or some refurbished smartphone for either free or less than up to $100 depending on how fancy or up to date i want. Cant imagine any new or newer phone will be as amazingly durable as my current one. its easy to text, coverage and sound quality is great i can access e-mail with it but that is a bit of a process to do checking news headlines or my portfolio is easy. really PANTECH made a great flip phone. glad i happened to get it ten yrs ago by chance as it was the only "free" phone option with that old mega corp plan at the time

Anyone else on this Forum who still has a dumb phone? Are you finding events, etc. where you must have a smartphone to participate?

I was in IT for 33 years, and I resisted a smartphone until this past year.

What pushed me over to the dark side was folks sending my group texts, which my dumb phone handled, well dumbly.

To be honest, a smartphone has made my life easier - I don't even use my Garmin GPS anymore. The WAZE app works much better, and doesn't yell at me to do a U-turn and backtrack when I chose to deviate from the GPS's chosen directions.

I can walk into a Lowes store, and search for an item on their website, and then get the exact location in the store where the item is located and whether it's currently in stock.

When in a SAMS warehouse, when I find an item I'm interested in, I can check google and amazon to see whether SAM's price is really a "deal", and see if there's any reviews on it.

Back
Top Bottom