Swan Songs

Two I have told my girls I want are "We'll Meet Again" and "Happy Trails"
On a related note, the memorial company has refused to chisel " He's God's Problem Now" on my marker...

Ripple by The Grateful Dead

Edit: I hadn't read the article, but I just did and saw that Ripple was on it. So that makes it a good list.

I also like In My Life by the Beatles, which I saw on the list.

Last edited:
I have my preferences, but since the young wife will be in charge of things then, I'm sure it will be "Happy Days are Here Again".

Two I have told my girls I want are "We'll Meet Again" and "Happy Trails"

Our church (Episcopal) just used "Happy Trails to You" as a recessional at a recent funeral.

I chose "I'll Meet you in the Morning" for DH's recessional. This YouTube version still brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

No idea on my own- hope it's not needed for a couple of decades.

The postlude, however, will be the Widor Toccata. It's gonna leave smoke on the keys.

Since my dear wife will likely outlive me, I will leave instructions for playing Richard Strauss' "Morgen!" to remind her of our many conversations about the beyond and our place together in it. I've included the translated-to-English lyrics, (Strauss based the song on the German poem by John Henry MacKay, which drew me to the song).

Morgen! (Tomorrow!)

And tomorrow the sun will shine again
And on the way which I shall follow
She will again unite us lucky ones
As all around us the earth breathes in the sun
Slowly, silently, we will climb down
To the wide beach and the blue waves
In silence, we will look in each other's eyes
And the mute stillness of happiness will sink upon us

One of many versions on YouTube, this is by the incomparable Renee Fleming.

-BB

Last edited:
Although I'm pretty much an agnostic, I want a bagpiper to play Amazing Grace.
Why? I just like the way it sounds.

I normally really hate bagpipes, but this version of The Parting Glass by the High Kings gets me right in the feels. So I choose this.

Last edited:
My daughters insist they will play "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix. That would be great, but I'm doubtful DW will agree. ...

I always thought this Jimi Hendrix tune (Villanova Junction) had a great "finality" and funeral dirge sort of sound. Just like it was used in the movie "Woodstock", as the last people were leaving and cleaning crews come in, I could see this providing the background as people left a grave site. Great, subtle playing, with Wes Montgomery style octave-unison playing.

Although I'm pretty much an agnostic, I want a bagpiper to play Amazing Grace.
Why? I just like the way it sounds.

Agreed!

-ERD50

From my end: funerals are meant for the living, to help them move on. So up to them to decide how to do that best.

If my sister is still alive I'm going to have them play "On Eagles Wings" and "Be not Afraid"- that'll make her blubber. Seriously, love those songs, but they make me cry too.

My instructions are to dump my ashes off the back of a boat. So I guess it will be whatever the local FM station is playing.

If my sister is still alive I'm going to have them play "On Eagles Wings" and "Be not Afraid"- that'll make her blubber. Seriously, love those songs, but they make me cry too.

DH sang “On Eagles’ Wings” at his sister-in-law’s funeral in December. Everyone was already crying (except for DH) and this certainly didn’t help. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom