Anyone have a "FIRE twin"?

jollystomper

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As I have been contacting fellow Megacorp employees I have worked with over the years to let them know I am retiring, I discovered I have a "FIRE twin". He and I are the same age and started with Megacorp right out of college on the same day. In our first 10 years we worked together on about a half dozen projects. While we were located in different parts of the country, we did become friendly and in those early days we and our wives got together a couple of times when our travels took us to the same location.

Since that time we moved to different organizations within Megacorp. Every several years we'd send each other emails, just to say hello and see how each other was doing. I sent him an email last week to inform him of my retirement at the end of June, and jokingly said he needs to keep working to keep my pension. Imagine my surprise when we called and said "you are not going to believe this - I also decided to retire at the end of this month!" Even more interesting, we will both be retiring on the same day.

So we declared ourselves "FIRE twins", having our Megacorp career start and end on the exactly same day, by our own choice.

A cool coincidence. I curious as to how common this might be. Anyone else have a "FIRE twin" (or triplet, or quadruplet, etc.) they know of?

That's really cool! :cool:

But, no, I don't have a retirement "twin" or even a close retirement "brother" or "sister".

Not exactly a Fire twin, but DW had a sort of twin in her first job. They were born the same day, were hired the same day, and 30 years later when DW retired, they still had lunch together at least weekly. They also had the same first name.

Nope, contacted a few and they all say they are in it for another decade to pay for various stuff.

Wow, amazing!

The two people I started with left the company (not retiring) well before I did. I remember one of them coming back to some shareholder meetings well before the company went public - it was hard to exercise stock options back then, and they would not have all vested anyway. But maybe they had bought some shares in the early days.

So I don’t know if my colleagues reached FI to RE.

Other employees who joined a bit later - several of them retired before I did, and I still retired before 40!

A FIRE comrade in meatspace sounds wonderful. A twin sounds even better. Congratulations!

No FIRE twin for me but that is way cool.

I hope you both have a long, healthy, and comfortable retirement!

That's very cool!

Long before the rounds of buy-outs which made us part of a series of mega-corps, we all pretty much started around the same time, and were about the same age. We went through all the phases, partying, pairing up, having children, wearing the golden handcuffs that kept us tied to our j*bs, and finally, retiring.

I could be going to a retirement party about once a week for the past 3 years or so. There's starting to be some social activity in the "alumni" group. We'll see where it goes. Maybe not twins, but it's more like a RE family.

Somewhat off topic but my Dad had a 'death twin'.

Forty years ago he was rushed to the hospital with a heart attack. He ended up in ICU and next to him in ICU was a woman from his town with a similar heart attack. Her first name was the same as my mother's.

They both underwent bypass surgery on the same day and were in recovery rooms next to each other.

Even though they lived in the same town, he never saw her again but here is where it gets weird:
Fourteen years later, they both died on the same day.

Weirder still:
Their wakes were at the same time at the same funeral home.
and.......they are now buried right next to each other in the cemetery...10 feet apart!

Last edited:
A really good friend and I retired on same day from federal govt. We went to all the training sessions & Retirement seminars together. Very helpful to have a sounding board then and now.

Somewhat off topic but my Dad had a 'death twin'.

Forty years ago he was rushed to the hospital with a heart attack. He ended up in ICU and next to him in ICU was a woman from his town with a similar heart attack. Her first name was the same as my mother's.

They both underwent bypass surgery on the same day and were in recovery rooms next to each other.

Even though they lived in the same town, he never saw her again but here is where it gets weird:
Fourteen years later, they both died on the same day.

Weirder still:
Their wakes were at the same time at the same funeral home.
and.......they are now buried right next to each other in the cemetery...10 feet apart!

Definitely a weird coincidence! This situation, with a little augmentation, would make a great Twilight Zone episode.

Definitely a weird coincidence! This situation, with a little augmentation, would make a great Twilight Zone episode.

I know. They might call it "The Woman Who Followed Me Around".

No FIRE twin, but definitely an ER family from my previous Megacorp. Still in touch with many and we do semi-annual reunions at a local bar. A slightly different crowd comes each time. It’s fun to see what others are up to, and the ones who come tend to be doing interesting things.

One of my colleagues retired 3 months ahead of me at 59. We had same yrs of service. I saw how Mega reacted to him giving notice and decided to give bare minimum notice. When we compared notes financially he was pretty amazed at the depth of my planning. He was enable by DW that retired with pension from the same Mega and I was enabled by DW that is still working.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom