Instant Pot sale

fosterscik

Full time employment: Posting here.
FYI - Amazon has the 6 qt instant pot duo on sale for $90 for the next 14 hours or so.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBKTPTS/
I know many have talked about this device here in the past. I'm a big fan and use it most nights to cook rice, potatoes, beets and beans in addition to one pot meals (soups and stews). It does a great job with surprising foods (cheesecake! baby back ribs...).

I've been waiting for a sale and this will be a second cooker for me (I often want to cook two veg or rice and...)

FYI - Amazon has the 6 qt instant pot duo on sale for $90 for the next 14 hours or so.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBKTPTS/
I know many have talked about this device here in the past. I'm a big fan and use it most nights to cook rice, potatoes, beets and beans in addition to one pot meals (soups and stews). It does a great job with surprising foods (cheesecake! baby back ribs...).

I've been waiting for a sale and this will be a second cooker for me (I often want to cook two veg or rice and...)

Can you recommend a baby back rib recipe for the instant pot ?

I use a (slightly) modified version of this recipe for baby-back ribs
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-baby-back-ribs/
to make it less sweet.

My ingredient list is:

• 1 meaty slab baby back ribs
• ½ cup water

Barbecue Rub
• ¾ tablespoon paprika
• ½ tablespoon chili powder
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt

Barbecue sauce
• ½ tablespoon honey
• ⅛ cup cider vinegar
• ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• ½ tablespoon soy sauce
• ½ tablespoon Srirachia sauce

But the prep and cooking are the same. I'm sure you'll enjoy either version. The pork is melt in the mouth tender!

Thanks for the heads up! My wife has been wanting one of these and I told her I would only get one for her if it was on sale. Ordered!

You got me. I just decided to BLOW SOME DOUGH and got it.

I have to see what the fuss is about.

On a related note, I've found a lot of Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker recipes around the web are somewhat hit-or-miss and it's hard to tell the good ones from the others. I went looking for e-books from the library (which turned out to be a great way to try out cookbooks) and ended up buying these two. Both are well written with professionally tested recipes and I've been enjoying using the Instant Pot much more since getting them.

Dinner in an Instant by Melissa Clark

Multicooker Perfection by America's Test Kitchen

edit: fixed link to point to the right ATK book

I was intrigued and bought an Instant Pot around a year ago. It's been a good purchase... one of those kitchen items that actually gets used, at least several times a week. I make hard boiled eggs in it all the time. Last week, I steamed a spaghetti squash and it came out great. Still experimenting.

Thank you! I have been thinking about ordering one of these, and this motivated me!

I think one of the biggest problems with instant pot is people trying to do things with it that they could do better with other impliments.

I have a 6 qt and a 3 qt, and DH came home from a guys lake trip saying we need an Ultra Instant Pot so we can cook steaks sous-vide steaks. Dude, we downsized and I don't have room for three of anything anymore, particularly Instant Pots. They take up a lot of space, especially when you buy every gadget made for them. :)

I do love cooking in them though. For me, it's been pretty foolproof, and I can be a real fool in the kitchen.

BLOW THAT DOUGH!

I can vouch for my IP. The one on sale has the fancier electronics, but it's still a pretty good deal.

I like it for rice (I wouldn't get it if I had a rice cooker, however), eggs, yogurt, and soups/stews. Know that although recipes will say something takes, say, five minutes, the total time will be more like 20-30 counting the time it takes to heat up and cool down. It's time unattended, though.

Eggs are worth it IMO because they peel very easily and don't come out with green yolks. Making yogurt is trivially easy and is much cheaper and better than store-bought. Not counting the cost of the IP, obviously. :)

On a related note, I've found a lot of Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker recipes around the web are somewhat hit-or-miss and it's hard to tell the good ones from the others. I went looking for e-books from the library (which turned out to be a great way to try out cookbooks) and ended up buying these two. Both are well written with professionally tested recipes and I've been enjoying using the Instant Pot much more since getting them.

Dinner in an Instant by Melissa Clark

Multicooker Perfection by America's Test Kitchen

edit: fixed link to point to the right ATK book

Dadcooksdinner is a good site - the recipes have been reliable.

Last edited:
We don’t have room for these large kitchen tools. We don’t like clutter and have a smallish kitchen. The only things on the counters are our Nespresso machine, some pods in a rack, our knives, a banana hook, and paper towels. As much as I’d probably enjoy experimenting with this, we’ll have to skip it.

Thanks for this.. (I'm a sucker for Kitchen appliances) Got my IP yesterday, will try it out this weekend. Also found several cheap Kindle IP recipe books.

Less is More

I can vouch for my IP....I like it for rice (I wouldn't get it if I had a rice cooker, however

Our cheap rice cooker was better at cooking rice.
But, our Instant Pot replaced:
rice cooker
crock pot
stove top pressure cooker

3 bulky appliances replaced by 1.
Long live the Instant Pot.

Thanks, OP! That deal was better than the Prime Day deal. I bought one that day and am gearing up to cook some beans in it!

Interesting to see Alton Brown's take on the Instant Pot. (Disclaimer: I have an IP and love it.)

How do you feel about the craze over something like the Instant Pot, which promises to do a little bit of everything?

It depends on what kind of adopter of technology you are. I’m one of those people who adopts very slowly. The Instant Pot does what it says it does, but I’ll look at it and say, I’ve got a pressure cooker and these other tools that I know how to use. Why am I going to learn how to use another thing?

If you read the whole article, you'll also see that Good Eats is coming back! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom