Super Glue

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Repair doesn't stick, but my fingers do? :confused:

Not what I remember.

And... oh yeah... understand that superglue (unopened), is only good for one year.

Thoughts?

Ha hA super glue , I have tried the Flex seal for different jobs and I still have not had luck with it . I tried flex seal to seal my well water tank ...nope it does not hold pressure , tried the paint on to seal around the bottom of a building it was real messy and shrunk up . I went back to clear silicone.

Common Baking Soda can be used as both an accelerator (so is water) and a filler to give more body to the glue.

The standard super glue is trash...get the super glue gel...much better!

Loctite makes an amazing array of high quality adhesives including super glue. HD and Lowes carry all the consumer products.

In Torquay, the windows stick but the stamps don't

JB weld is an epoxy so it takes time to set, but it holds up even at high temperatures.

51F3WAR6q5L.jpg

We like Gorilla Glue. The Gorilla Tape isn't bad either.

Kid sealed up a nice slice on the side of their foot with medical grade Super Glue while out-of-town on a recent trip.

Cheaper and get a lot more by ordering from places that cater to hobbyists like Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies and the like. The B&M stores don't usually have the different thicknesses either (thin, medium, thick) but the hobby retailers do. I have some in the freezer that is five years old and works fine. Oh, and they also sell a debonder that dissolves the glue when you glue your fingers together. It takes a few minutes, but works well. Don't ask how I know.

Cheaper and get a lot more by ordering from places that cater to hobbyists like Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies and the like. The B&M stores don't usually have the different thicknesses either (thin, medium, thick) but the hobby retailers do. I have some in the freezer that is five years old and works fine. Oh, and they also sell a debonder that dissolves the glue when you glue your fingers together. It takes a few minutes, but works well. Don't ask how I know.

Like Walt said, the best place to buy super glue in different consistencies is a hobby shop. Also, as said above, refrigerate it when not in use.

For high purity, high strength cyanoacrylates in a wide range of viscosities, plus accelerants, catalytics etc, the Polyfix brand is hard to beat. Burt Rutan used a similar brand (Satellite City) in the construction of his record setting Voyager aircraft.

Adhesives from Aircraft Spruce

Never had much luck with super glue bonding anything together except my fingers.

JB weld is an epoxy so it takes time to set, but it holds up even at high temperatures.
I was introduced to JB weld about 15 years ago and absolutely love the stuff. They have both the 5 minute and 4-6 or 24 hours as well as wood, marine etc and I've used them all. When they're on sale I stock up. I've never had luck with super glue, but haven't used it in about 15 years so maybe they've improved.

I've had great results with Plumber's Goop for parts inside toilets, as it is waterproof once it dries, and also for gluing down a wood panel on my garage door. The tube is now about 5 years old and is starting to dry out somewhat but still worked when I used it on the garage door panel, in it's drier form.

I've never had much luck with the bigger reusable super glue tubes until I tried Loctite Super Glue 'Gel Control'. It has the two black plungers on the side of the contained that you squeeze to release the glue. Have had it over a year and used it several times and it's still holding up well. Had to use it the other day to repair the frames on my reading glasses and it worked well.

I have ordered the family to not buy Super Glue. With a 7 year old in the house, she could do serious damage of she got hold of any. If Super Glue is needed, the remainder must be thrown away after use.

I also throw away every Sharpie permanent ink pens I find. They could be destructive in the hands of a kid that thinks they are water soluable.

I have ordered the family to not buy Super Glue. With a 7 year old in the house, she could do serious damage of she got hold of any. If Super Glue is needed, the remainder must be thrown away after use.

I also throw away every Sharpie permanent ink pens I find. They could be destructive in the hands of a kid that thinks they are water soluable.

I'd just lock them in the gun safe. I use Sharpies pretty often. As far as the Super Glue, you might as well throw it away. I've never been able to reuse an open tube.

Back
Top Bottom