Invisaflects insulating paint

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody heard of invisaflects insulating paint. I'm getting ready to finish off my basement and I do not want to dry wall and insulate. I heard about this ceramic based paint that can be put on basement walls and insulate the area at the same time. While it is not cheap it certainly is cheaper than drywalling in the whole basement.:)

It does not act as insulation. It reflects radiant heat, and is a poor radiator. If there's not a lot of radiant heat, it will have little or no effect. It's the same concept as a radiant barrier in your attic. So I think it won't be effective in your basement.

So I think it won't be effective in your basement.
+1. You won't notice any difference, except in your wallet.
I've insulated most of my basement. It has been a big project, but made a big difference in the comfort/temps in the basement. I used rigid foam boards, studs placed on their flat sides and Tapcon'ned to the blocks, drywall inside. About R10 total wall value, and a total of 4" thick. It could be done with less thickness and still be quite effective.

There's a LOT of snake oil in the radiant barriers/coatings business. The government has taken some companies to court, but they pop up faster than they can be smacked down.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't read or heard anything spectacular about it. So thanks everybody

+1. You won't notice any difference, except in your wallet.
I've insulated most of my basement. It has been a big project, but made a big difference in the comfort/temps in the basement. I used rigid foam boards, studs placed on their flat sides and Tapcon'ned to the blocks, drywall inside. About R10 total wall value, and a total of 4" thick. It could be done with less thickness and still be quite effective.

There's a LOT of snake oil in the radiant barriers/coatings business. The government has taken some companies to court, but they pop up faster than they can be smacked down.

Talking about snake oil in radiant barriers. I looked long and hard to try to understand if / how it works.

1). Needs an air space
2). Needs to be kept clean and shiny.

That said pulled the trigger on an attic barrier and after 2 years, I would say it keeps my living area 3ish F cooler when it’s sunny and 100F+ outside.

Back
Top Bottom