Do you use your dishwasher?

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?

I have a dishwasher, but it's very old, and it's situated in a way that I have to unload everything on the kitchen counter first, close the washer door, and finally, I can put stuff away. When I lived in California, I used the dishwasher, but it was an older dishwasher (or maybe it was just a cheap dishwasher) and I had to rinse first, which kind of defeated the purpose IMO... Anyway, it's just two of us now, and we just wash dirty dishes right away by hand and leave them to air-dry.

How about you?

Sorry, so many questions...

Use it almost everyday, even though just two of us. Much of my cooking is from scratch so I use quite a few pots and pans, which I put in the dishwasher.

With me and 2 teens at home, it runs every night and is emptied first thing in the morning. Use it as a drying rack for any hand washed cookware before filling it up again at the end of the day.

Yes. Since ER it gets used twice as much, with me at home eating much more often.

It developed a leak a few years ago and we had to have some rubber thingy replaced. The part's cost was trivial, but the cost of the labor wasn't. We wish we had simply replaced it. The dang thing seems to need its filters cleaned more often than any other machine I've owned, and it's not a simple procedure. Well, it might be for a younger person with better knees.

Yes.
Every day.
2 people.
Bosch. Quiet.

Same as above.

Plus, we rinse before loading the dishwasher. Can't imagine any other way. To us, it's basically a sanitizer and dryer.

Yes, as a final wash/sanitizer, we don't run the heated dry. 2 of us, we run it about every 2 or 3 days. We get almost everything off the dishes as we load them in. It's a handy drying rack. I wouldn't cry if we didn't have one.

Yes, we have one and use it about twice a day. It is not new. We scrape and /or rinse.

I bought a DW back in 1993 when I was still working full-time, so I could relax a little bit while I was running it. It was a small DW, only 18 inches wide because I have such a small kitchen. It's a portable, on wheels, so I would have to roll it into the kitchen to load it up. Then, because the floor in the kitchen isn't quite level, I'd have to rotate it around or else water would leak out the front of it while it was running. Then, after I unhooked my faucet water filter, I'd attach the adapter thingy to the faucet so I could hook up the water hose to the sink. Plug the electric in and turn it on.

I usually didn't want to waste the electric in the dry cycle, so I'd unhook the hose, unplug it, and turn it around so I could open the door and let the dishes dry naturally. Also, sometimes a wooden spoon would fly around inside and end up on the heat coil and begin to burn.

After a few years, the water wasn't spraying around too well inside, so there were some "blind spots" inside I couldn't place items. By 2001, when I began working part-time, I stopped using the DW altogether because the DW wasn't working well. Not even sure it works any more, it has been so long. I was around more after I began working part-time, so it wasn't a burden to wash dishes any more.

But when I got rid of the faucet filter, I reattached the adapter thingy to the faucet because I get a smoother water flow with it. At this point, I should just get rid of the DW because it is a bad use of space, as I can only put things on top of it. A small cabinet would provide me with some extra storage space.

Never use it.

We use it sometimes. We also wash by hand, since there are only two of us and it takes awhile to fill the dishwasher up. We have a Bosch and it is quiet and works well.

I wash everything by hand, just the 2 of us. Occasionally, I worry that it needs to be run at least once a month, so . . . I grab a bunch of utensils out of the drawer, load glassware from the cabinet into the top rack, and put some dishes in the bottom rack, and run it.

Yes. Just replaced the 16 year old dishwasher with a Bosch, last year.

I hand wash big stuff and awkward shaped stuff because I'm all about maxing out the volume of dishes loaded. We run it every day to day and a half... More in the summer when the kids aren't in school. (We have two teenage boys.)

The new washer is amazing.... everything comes clean, without pre-rinse and even when I've loaded it wonky. Old washer I had to pre rinse and be careful about how I loaded it.

I hear that with newer dishwashers, you use less water with full loads than washing the same by hand. And they're a lot cleaner too.

We got a Bosch last year. 3 trays-I really like the top silverware tray. Very quiet, and everything comes out really clean without seriously pre-rinsing. I hand wash the high end pots we bought 20 years ago, plus items like broiler pans and knives.

We run it every other day unless I cook something complicated; then we run it more.

Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?

My dishwasher came with my dream house, and it does not look terribly new but it does a good job of getting dishes clean.

I only use it about once a week, when there are enough dishes to mostly fill the machine. I always rinse/clean by hand as the dishes accumulate, since it takes so long until I get around to running the machine.

Yes. Just replaced the 16 year old dishwasher with a Bosch, last year.

I hand wash big stuff and awkward shaped stuff because I'm all about maxing out the volume of dishes loaded. We run it every day to day and a half... More in the summer when the kids aren't in school. (We have two teenage boys.)

The new washer is amazing.... everything comes clean, without pre-rinse and even when I've loaded it wonky. Old washer I had to pre rinse and be careful about how I loaded it.

So you just scrape off bits with a paper towel and load? How about hard cheesy bits?

I bought a DW back in 1993 when I was still working full-time, so I could relax a little bit while I was running it. It was a small DW, only 18 inches wide because I have such a small kitchen. It's a portable, on wheels, so I would have to roll it into the kitchen to load it up. Then, because the floor in the kitchen isn't quite level, I'd have to rotate it around or else water would leak out the front of it while it was running. Then, after I unhooked my faucet water filter, I'd attach the adapter thingy to the faucet so I could hook up the water hose to the sink. Plug the electric in and turn it on.

I usually didn't want to waste the electric in the dry cycle, so I'd unhook the hose, unplug it, and turn it around so I could open the door and let the dishes dry naturally. Also, sometimes a wooden spoon would fly around inside and end up on the heat coil and begin to burn.

After a few years, the water wasn't spraying around too well inside, so there were some "blind spots" inside I couldn't place items. By 2001, when I began working part-time, I stopped using the DW altogether because the DW wasn't working well. Not even sure it works any more, it has been so long. I was around more after I began working part-time, so it wasn't a burden to wash dishes any more.

But when I got rid of the faucet filter, I reattached the adapter thingy to the faucet because I get a smoother water flow with it. At this point, I should just get rid of the DW because it is a bad use of space, as I can only put things on top of it. A small cabinet would provide me with some extra storage space.

Wow, it looks like you went through a lot of work to use your DW!

Yes. It is why we own one.

(now if the question was …."Do you use your Gulfstream Jet", my answer would be different):cool:

Last edited:
Whirlpool from 2009, run it every 2 - 3 days, always use the drying cycle. We quick-rinse plates and glasses under the faucet before we put them in, as they may be sitting for days before having a full load to run. It cleans real well, but we rinse to avoid any smells with it sitting till next run. No filters to clean, zero maintenance.

We hand-wash pots, pans, knives with wood handles.

We follow the loading instructions that came with it, which maximizes the water jets impact on items.

Back
Top Bottom