Successful Social Security Interview

I was the victim of Social Security fraud (someone else started getting my social security payments--SS could never explain to me how someone was able to get into my SS account to change where payments were being sent)) so I had to deal many times with Social Security both at my local office and on phone to the national office and many times on the phone to Medicare. It was a terrible, frustrating experience. I found that almost everyone I talked to was incompetent including the supervisors. It took them many months to get my social security payments started again and they cancelled my medicare coverage even though I was told it would not be cancelled. The only way I ever got it all straightened out was to call my Congressman's office. Once I called my Congressman it was all straightened out in a matter of days. So if anyone is having trouble with Social Security I suggest you call your Congressman.

Last edited:
Well I called to arrange to come off restricted application spousal benefits and go to my age 70 benefits. It may not be going as smoothly as described by others; I cannot tell. After my phone call they sent a letter confirming the appointment at the local office and telling me what to bring to fill out the retirement benefit application. My appointment is Sept.19. About a week after that appointment confirmation I got another letter informing me that the local office has determined that I am not eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI, not SS). SSI never even came up during the phone conversation. How could I have applied for it? Do they check to see if you are eligible for SS and SSI when you apply for one or the other? There was nothing about cancelling my appointment so I guess the appointment is still scheduled (I hope). Meanwhile I am hoping there hasn't been a misunderstanding about my purpose for making the appointment.

Does everyone get a letter denying them SSI when they apply for SS? I may have brought this on myself because the woman on the phone started questioning me about my other finances and I told her I just wanted the appointment and my finances wouldn't affect my Social Security benefit. I now realize that she might be tasked to check people on their finances to see if they qualify for benefits on top of their SS. The way she put it I thought she was just looking for employment income that would make me subject to WEP. If so, once again my angst against giving strangers on the phone who might be a call center too much personal information may have caused all my problems.

Tadpole; I was just rereading this thread and noticed this comment. I wish I had seen this at the time you posted this. I was away for a couple of weeks during the period that you posted this. The rep I dealt with by phone on 8-10 explained the whole SSI questioning and told me about the denial letter I would receive and to ignore it. I can see that I benefited from having an experienced rep. I wish you had the same experience. But I think you will still have the results you expect “on time”.��

Sigh, well I'm sure you will get notification of your new raised amount along with everyone else. No one is ever happy, you got the result you wanted, they have taken care of your Part B payment and now you want to nitpick the language they used to explain everything. In January your payment will be the same benefit number plus your raise.

They made the exact statement that future payments would be $xxxx, the same $xxxx as the first payment after the Part B is deducted. For someone that relies on Social Security and is expecting a raise in January, that could be confusing and upsetting. Better to program the computer to have the letter accurately describe what will happen than to get a lot of phone calls and office visits from worried recipients.

I just wanted to report to Tadpole that I received the written Statement confirming the change in my benefits in the mail yesterday. If you haven't also received your Statement, be on the lookout for it any day. And no surprises in my Statement. I continue to be very satisfied with SSA's handling of my claim.

I just wanted to report to Tadpole that I received the written Statement confirming the change in my benefits in the mail yesterday. If you haven't also received your Statement, be on the lookout for it any day. And no surprises in my Statement. I continue to be very satisfied with SSA's handling of my claim.

Thanks! No change yet on my end. I hope you are right. I'm just holding tight to see what happens when my last spousal check is issued Wednesday.

And no surprises in my Statement. I continue to be very satisfied with SSA's handling of my claim.

I still have received nothing and am very concerned about whether I am still covered by Medicare Part B. The last spousal was deposited today but the status I previously posted has not changed. Remember it said my benefits were terminated on the 1st Nov and no more payment to Medicare would be made. It strikes me that I may not be covered by Medicare and open season is ending soon. If they let the time lapse a month do I need to reapply for Medicare? If they don't show me as receiving Social Security, what about Medicare? How long did today's deduction cover Medicare. Last month? This month? Second Wed Oct to second Wed of Nov? Or what? This is a nightmare.

Did your Medicare number change when you switched to your own record?

I am wondering who to talk to since I am just getting reassurances from the local office but no movement on the problem.

Hmmm. My social security number changed about 3 months ago, but not because of the claim to switch to my own record. What does the website say regarding what the amount of your next payment will be in December? Is it zero? Or the same as your old payment?

Last edited:
Hmmm. My social security number changed about 3 months ago, but not because of the spp to switch to my own record. What does the website say regarding what the amount of your next payment will be in December?
Do you mean your Medicare number changed?
I still have received nothing and am very concerned about whether I am still covered by Medicare Part B.
Have you tried checking MyMedicare? That would confirm you’re enrolled.

I still have received nothing and am very concerned about whether I am still covered by Medicare Part B. The last spousal was deposited today but the status I previously posted has not changed. Remember it said my benefits were terminated on the 1st Nov and no more payment to Medicare would be made. It strikes me that I may not be covered by Medicare and open season is ending soon. If they let the time lapse a month do I need to reapply for Medicare? If they don't show me as receiving Social Security, what about Medicare? How long did today's deduction cover Medicare. Last month? This month? Second Wed Oct to second Wed of Nov? Or what? This is a nightmare.

Did your Medicare number change when you switched to your own record?

I am wondering who to talk to since I am just getting reassurances from the local office but no movement on the problem.

Don't panic since you were on Medicare B from your spousal it will transfer over and you are still covered. You are caught in computer limbo. My DH will take his first check on Jan 1 as he turns 70 that month. I will take my first spousal the same month. Our rep told us don't panic because your spousal can't be processed at the same time as your DH because he needs to be collecting for you to get a spousal. The computer will take care of it and sync things correctly. I might not even get my first check on time but then I would get 2 checks.

Do you mean your Medicare number changed?
Have you tried checking MyMedicare? That would confirm you’re enrolled.

Yes. Sorry. I meant my Medicare number changed over to a number that is different than my SSN.

I went to the local SSA office this morning to find out about the medical coverage. I asked if my application was completed. He spent 3-5 minutes reading the computer screen without saying a word. From his head we could tell he was reading line by line, then mouse action and reading again. My husband who had stayed in his seat in the waiting area got up to find out what was going on. I was getting concerned. I have no idea what he was reading that read like text and took so long to read. He finally said that it didn't seem finished. It maybe my imagination but it felt like he had a secret he wasn't sharing; paranoia on our part, probably. I told him about my comparison with someone else with my birthday and he said he'd look and see if I was sent any mail. He said there was no record of recent mail. All in all it didn't sound like he really could tell where in the processing the claim was.

I asked about the Medicare and he said he had never been asked if the number changed but I shouldn't be concerned about continued coverage. He reassured me that my application would be completed in time to get my benefits on time. I don't feel all that reassured but I don't see that there is any more I can do but wait for the letter or wait until the second week of December and see if my benefits come and Medicare is paid.

I left wondering who was doing the processing and why the local office couldn't find out with more granularity what the current status was.

MichaelB: Have you tried checking MyMedicare? That would confirm you’re enrolled.
I checked MyMedicare and it showed the usual enrollment in original Medicare but if there were a problem it might not see it until next month's payment. That would be the one that was expected but didn't arrive if something went wrong. The man at SSA said the Medicare part should happen seamlessly.

Hmmm. My social security number changed about 3 months ago, but not because of the claim to switch to my own record. What does the website say regarding what the amount of your next payment will be in December? Is it zero? Or the same as your old payment?

The website still says that the SSA check will be $0.00 and that $0.00 will be deducted for Medicare. It also still says my benefits will terminate in November 2018. But it doesn't say what benefits. I take it to mean both SS and Medicare.

It says starting in November my benefits will be terminated. Here is the entire statement. It is the same statement that scared me into going in the last time. It is still there and, after my last spousal went in today, I got really concerned about the continuation of my health insurance.

From MySocialSecurity account (bold mine):

Information About Current Social Security Benefits

Beginning November 2018, the full monthly Social Security benefit before any deductions is $0.00.

We deduct $0.00 for medical insurance premiums each month.

The regular monthly Social Security payment is $0.00.
(We must round down to the whole dollar.)

Social Security benefits for a given month are paid the following month. (For example, Social Security benefits for March are paid in April.)

Your Social Security benefits are paid on or about the second Wednesday of each month.

Benefits were stopped beginning November 2018.

It says starting in November my benefits will be terminated. Here is the entire statement. It is the same statement that scared me into going in the last time. It is still there and, after my last spousal went in today, I got really concerned about the continuation of my health insurance.

From MySocialSecurity account (bold mine):

This is all true you terminated spousal connected to your husbands SS bennys and are now drawing under your own. These changes need to be updated in the computer. Perhaps the reason the rep wasn't sure if the app was finished is because they have to wait until you get your last spousal check to update your record..they'll get it done...maybe you'll a get double check the first month

This is the way my rep explained my situation and said don't worry if you don't get mail or see anything online it will happen.

Tadpole; I can see why that last sentence caught your attention. I also inderstamd why the waiting and lack of clarity from the SSA staff makes you feel vulnerable. But...... it also defies logic, that both SSA and Medicare are shutting off your hard earned benefits. I think the very worst case scanario, and unlikely at that, is that there is a hickup for a month, which will be rectified with an extra check. I’d put money though, on it being resolved before your November check is deposited next month.

Tadpole, I suggest that you call Medicare on their 800 number to ask them what they are showing about your Medicare. The wait to get the Medicare number answered may be an hour or so but not nearly as long as the SS number wait. Personally I have had such a terrible time with my local SS office I don't trust anything they tell me.

There is a way on the Medicare website that a doctor can check to see if your Medicare is still in effect, you might be able to get your doctor's office to check to see if your Medicare is still in effect. I found out that my Medicare had been mistakenly terminated when I was the victim of identity theft when I went to my doctor.

If you find out that for some reason your Medicare has incorrectly been terminated I would immediately call your Congressman's office. I could not get my Medicare restored even after many calls and visits to the local SS office. One call to my Congressman's office got it straightened out in a few days.

This is all true you terminated spousal connected to your husbands SS bennys and are now drawing under your own. These changes need to be updated in the computer. Perhaps the reason the rep wasn't sure if the app was finished is because they have to wait until you get your last spousal check to update your record..they'll get it done...maybe you'll a get double check the first month

This is the way my rep explained my situation and said don't worry if you don't get mail or see anything online it will happen.

I agree that this is the most likely explanation. All is OK if any delayed SSA payment is acceptable to Medicare when the late payment is made. If I get a Dec check for Nov, it will be one payment. If I don't get a first check until Jan then I would expect two checks with two Medicare payments, one a month late. The check I received today had a Medicare deduction.

Again thanks for your information. Retire early expertise keeps me half way sane.

Tadpole; I can see why that last sentence caught your attention. I also inderstamd why the waiting and lack of clarity from the SSA staff makes you feel vulnerable. But...... it also defies logic, that both SSA and Medicare are shutting off your hard earned benefits. I think the very worst case scanario, and unlikely at that, is that there is a hickup for a month, which will be rectified with an extra check. I’d put money though, on it being resolved before your November check is deposited next month.

Thanks Golden sunsets. I know, deep down, you have to be right. But you know that guy in the comics with the cloud following him around? I have a bit of that guy in me and, well, you see the result after 70 years. I am worse than a glass half empty person. I micro-manage "spilt" milk as if it were melted gold.

Tadpole, I suggest that you call Medicare on their 800 number to ask them what they are showing about your Medicare. The wait to get the Medicare number answered may be an hour or so but not nearly as long as the SS number wait. Personally I have had such a terrible time with my local SS office I don't trust anything they tell me.

There is a way on the Medicare website that a doctor can check to see if your Medicare is still in effect, you might be able to get your doctor's office to check to see if your Medicare is still in effect. I found out that my Medicare had been mistakenly terminated when I was the victim of identity theft when I went to my doctor.

If you find out that for some reason your Medicare has incorrectly been terminated I would immediately call your Congressman's office. I could not get my Medicare restored even after many calls and visits to the local SS office. One call to my Congressman's office got it straightened out in a few days.

Thanks I'll look into these things. My husband has a doctor's appt next week. Maybe his staff knows how to check on this.

I logged into my account at MySocialSecurity this morning and found a promissory note for a mucho big payment on December 3 (? that must be just the month end date not the deposit date) complete with Medicare B deduction of $134. The numbers are all what they should be. I think this episode in my life is over.

On a serious note. I want the RE crowd to know that I greatly appreciate being able to discuss this during the long waiting period. The bitdrinks are on me!

They did get it done, makes my feel better for my turn after the first of the year!

Thanks for updating..

Plenty of surprises for me. Could you compare your letter from them with the following from my 2 letters from them. I am looking for the answer to the questions at the bottom of this very long post.

You aren't going to believe this. I got two letters from SSA today (SSA Southern Program Service Center, Birmingham, AL). One letter said they were changing my payment day to the 3rd of the month because I was in one of the following categories:

receives railroad retirement or SSI payments. (Nope)
has income or resources used to decide if someone else is eligible for SSI. (Nope)
moves outside the U.S. (Nope)
has Medicare premiums paid by the State (Nope)
has payments garnished,(Nope) or
is entitled on more than one record (:confused:Nope unless every person with a spouse is a 3rd of the month too)

The next check you receive will be for (correct after Medicare amount), which is money you are due through November 2018.
After that, you will receive (correct after Medicare amount), on or about the third of each month.

The first part of the second letter from the same place begins with the amount and when I will get it and agrees with the first letter. i.e. the after Medicare amount deposited on the 3rd of the month.

Then it has a section entitled "Information About Medicare". There is nothing in this section. It doesn't even mentioned that Medicare B was deducted from my total benefit to arrive at the (correct after Medicare amount). Nothing, na da.
The next section entitled "The Basis for the Decision" should clear it up for me. Nope. It says: "Based on the information given to us you were born on December 1, 1948." Then under the next section "Other Social Security benefits" it says: "This benefit is the only benefit you can receive from us at this time. In the future, if you think you might qualify for another benefit from us, you sill need to apply again." The last section first sentence says "Your benefits are based on the information you gave us." I never told them I was in one of the special categories above:confused:

When I search the Internet I discover that most people paid on the 3rd are on SSI. You will recall SSA sent me a letter saying I didn't qualify for SSI (I think you or someone here got one too.) So, they know I am not on SSI. I can't find anything that says ex-federal employees get SS on a special day so that's not the reason. I am worried that they have me in some special status that might affect my husbands survivor benefit.

Questions for you:
Was the Medicare part of your letter blank?
Did they change your deposit date to another day of the month other than the one everyone else born on your birthday gets theirs?
Did they ever mention your benefit before the Medicare deduction in the "Notice of Award" letter? Mine sounds like the Medicare part doesn't exist but my benefit has, nevertheless, been awarded after it's deduction.

There is no stone left unturned on this forum. I praise the minutia detail of every post.

Tadpole, have you called Medicare at their national 800 number to confirm you have Medicare coverage? That is what I would do next.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom