Mary Ann, Mary Ann, Mary Ann

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh no, another celeb down on luck. Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) from Gilligan's Island. Isn't she and Tina Louise (Ginger) the only two still alive from the show?

"Gilligan's Island" star Dawn Wells is severely down on her luck -- nearly $200k in the red -- and she's seeking financial aid from Gilligan fans ... TMZ has learned.

Dawnfamously played Mary Ann Summers on the iconic TV sitcom, but according to a friend who launched a GoFundMe she's desperately in need of money so she can move into an assisted care facility.

The friend tells TMZ ... Dawn broke her knee this year, and was already recovering from a major surgery where she suffered complications. According to the fundraising page, she's been struggling since losing almost everything during 2008's banking crash.

'Gilligan's Island' Star Dawn Wells Suffering Financially After Surgeries | TMZ.com

"According to the fundraising page, she's been struggling since losing almost everything during 2008's banking crash."

I don't want to be too judgmental, but it seems an awful lot of losses get blamed on the banking crisis of 2008. Could it be she panicked and sold low? Or she got taken advantage of by a "financial advisor"?

FYI: I always thought Mary Ann was hotter than Ginger.

This article has a little (not a lot, just a little) more detail:

A friend has now launched a GoFundMe so that the former TV star can move to an assisted care facility, "hopefully in the motion picture home that she likes," the GoFundMe page says.

The pal says Dawn has had some difficult health battles of late. She spent last year recovering from a major surgery that "came close to killing her," the page says, and she also broke her knee earlier this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...-turns-to-fans-for-help/ar-BBMVonO?li=BBnb7Kx

FYI .. A bit of Dawn Wells trivia. For that episode on "Star Trek" called "Assignment Earth" with Teri Garr as the secretary, Dawn Wells had also auditioned for the part.

"According to the fundraising page, she's been struggling since losing almost everything during 2008's banking crash."

I don't want to be too judgmental, but it seems an awful lot of losses get blamed on the banking crisis of 2008. Could it be she panicked and sold low? Or she got taken advantage of by a "financial advisor"?

FYI: I always thought Mary Ann was hotter than Ginger.

I the judgmental part, had me thinking too. I remember a few years back she was making the rounds promoting Mary Ann's cookbook or something like that. Wonder what happened with that venture.

+3 (ma > g)

+3 (ma > g)

+4. But, we are a FIRE Forum. I bet if you go to the FiDO (Financially Destitute & Old) Forum, where the threads are about long legged fast women, booze, gambling & how to look like you’re rich, then the consensus would be 4:1 for Ginger. :cool:

Probably not at this point.
That's the magic of reruns...she doesn't age.

I wonder if INTJ's like the girl next door more than the glamor queen? (In general...a correlation)

I am a sucker for a red head but also a sucker for sweet cute girl. I would vote to date Ginger for fun but invite Mary Ann home to meet mom.

Ginger. I love the challenge of high maintenance.

Google some recent images of both. (ma > g) by a long shot.

Dawn's mug shot even looks pretty good without any glamour preparation.

Ginger. I love the challenge of high maintenance.

lol, good luck with that. How about Lovie? She seems pretty high maintenance.

Google some recent images of both. (ma > g) by a long shot.

Dawn's mug shot even looks pretty good without any glamour preparation.

Yeah, she had the pretty face. Ginger was more about her bod and the glamour. A pretty face has more lasting power.

Last edited:
I saw her at the Alhambra Dinner Theater in June 2017. She still looked pretty good. I didn't know she has had financial problems. Sad to hear.

Cheers!

She was a close friend and reportedly caregiver for "Mrs. Howell" (Natalie Schafer, who died in 1991)

Rumors were that Wells inherited the bulk of Schafer's nearly $10 million estate.

If true, how the mighty have fallen...

Dawn Wells net worth (online) is $7M. I always wonder if these figures are true. They seem right because Madonna's net worth on Forbes is $590M. And Paul McCartney is $1.2B.

She was a close friend and reportedly caregiver for "Mrs. Howell" (Natalie Schafer, who died in 1991)

Rumors were that Wells inherited the bulk of Schafer's nearly $10 million estate.

If true, how the mighty have fallen...

I think this story isn't over yet. It the rumors are true, my bet goes to she probably got taken by some fast talking money manager (similar to how the so-called advisors get athletes to plunk in good money after bad). Of course, there is the possibility of living a carefree, fast life. I want more details.

$10 million? Nonsense, the Howells were worth billions:

Interesting. I don't remember Mr. Howell talking much about billions but millions. Maybe they only packed a measly million for their 3 hour tour. Remember how Mr. Howell would read the same newspaper with stock quotes over and over? Cracked me up.

https://www.forbes.com/2006/11/20/t...dia_cx_mn_06fict15_gilligan.html#10f8fe605df4

Back
Top Bottom