Windows Retreat

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Windows is taking a deep breath, and backing off the aggressive update/improvement kick that it has been on for the past several years, due to bugs and user dissatisfaction.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/13/18090982/microsoft-windows-10-quality-focus-updates-2018

Without going into details, for me, it has been a difficult, and time consuming project, just to stay on top of the creative and innovative changes to windows 10. I am sure that younger users appreciate the changes, but being forced to learn new programs means a learning process that takes away from time that could be better used. Don't know if GMail in included in this change, but the "advances" there offer dozens of new improvements that I neither want nor need. The latest "force" to use Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome means changing some already learned non-Microsoft programs.

I have gone to the free Slimjet operating system on some of my computers.

Kudos to those who have already wisely gone to Macs. Unfortunately I can't afford the several thousand dollars that it would require to buy all new computers.

Yes... it's probably just old age, and resistance to change, but time is starting to get more precious to me, and I don't need to support Microsoft in their learning curve.

Am hoping that the change, outlined in the link is a step in the right direction. I shudder every time that little pop-up shows "click here to upgrade Windows 10".

End of Rant.:blush:

Last edited:
Ah yes, developers with impossible agile sprint schedules testing their own code through automation they write, pushing out sprints to nameless "insiders," and then calling the final build good. What could possibly go wrong?

It is so nice to be retired from software development.
Microsoft has been criticized with Windows 10 for shifting the way it tests the operating system. In the past, Microsoft used dedicated Software Test Engineer (STE) roles for ensuring quality, but the software giant axed most of these during a huge round of layoffs a year ahead of the Windows 10 release. Instead, it has favored developers testing their own work, or reports from the Windows Insider feedback program.

I read these posts all the time and am unsure what is happening. I started using PCs when they first came out in 1981. I have never had an OS problem and upgraded probably hundreds of times. I have never had a problem.
I have had 5 hard drives crash on me, a video card go out and two motherboards with capacitor problems. Hardware is what I worry about, I never worry about software.
However, I usually have fairly new computers from better manufactures.

It's not old age. I'm 40 and just made the switch to a Mac a few months ago. Win 10 and the 2 hour updates is the dumbest crap ever. I've never been so eager to spend 2 grand in my entire life.

Ah yes, developers with impossible agile sprint schedules testing their own code through automation they write, pushing out sprints to nameless "insiders," and then calling the final build good. What could possibly go wrong?

It is so nice to be retired from software development.
What could possibly go wrong with developers testing?

Change for the sake of change seems to be the trend now. Not only for Microsoft but things in general like financial websites like banks. Plus, don't get me started on Facebook.

I never heard of Slimjet before.

I use Linux 99% of the time.

I only fire up my Windows 10 or Windows 7 laptops if I need to do something work-related. Considering my current job situation, that is not often.

Would not buy an Apple product as I cannot justify the cost.

I Google'd Slimjet and it came up as a web browser not an OS.

I read these posts all the time and am unsure what is happening. I started using PCs when they first came out in 1981. I have never had an OS problem and upgraded probably hundreds of times. I have never had a problem.
I have had 5 hard drives crash on me, a video card go out and two motherboards with capacitor problems. Hardware is what I worry about, I never worry about software.
However, I usually have fairly new computers from better manufactures.
I *almost* got bit bad by the latest Win 10 problem. On two of my other computers, I have my "documents" folder redirected to a different place than normal. On my newest Win 10, I do not. I accidentally loaded this "update" because I wanted "the latest" for a different problem. Lucky for me, I didn't do this on the other computers, what Microsoft calls the intentional download. If I had, I would have erased all my documents.

So, yes, OS problems do occur. Usually they are for only a small number of people. Consider yourself lucky you've never had a problem. Although I can say anyone with Win 8 had issues. Win 8.0 problems were mandatory for all users. 8.1 cleaned most up.

What could possibly go wrong with developers testing?
What could possibly go wrong with bankers never having audits, internal or external? Would could possibly go wrong with contractors doing all self inspection and never dealing with building departments? What could possibly go wrong if states and municipalities inspected all their infrastructure on their own time and budget? What could possibly go wrong with self inspection of nuclear power plants? Etc.

Kudos to those who have already wisely gone to Macs. Unfortunately I can't afford the several thousand dollars that it would require to buy all new computers.

Yes... it's probably just old age, and resistance to change, but time is starting to get more precious to me, and I don't need to support Microsoft in their learning curve.

First, let me assure you that Apple can and does obsolete equipment at a 'snappy' pace. They are not shy about doing away with things like USB ports and a place to plug in standard headphone jacks.

Second, I know people who would still be using Word Perfect if they could get it to run on their machine. I don't think it's age. Rather it's priorities. Do you want to spend your time doing what your enjoy, or learning new software on somebody else's schedule??

Last edited:
I *almost* got bit bad by the latest Win 10 problem. On two of my other computers, I have my "documents" folder redirected to a different place than normal. On my newest Win 10, I do not. I accidentally loaded this "update" because I wanted "the latest" for a different problem. Lucky for me, I didn't do this on the other computers, what Microsoft calls the intentional download. If I had, I would have erased all my documents.

FWIW, back in the good old days of mainframe computers our philosophy was to always be 6 months or one release behind. Let others fight on the bleeding edge of technology. Today, that time frame is rather long, but I do wait a week or two after any new software release or updates just to make sure I don't get bit by some unforeseen bug. Usually, social media is full of complaints with a few days so two weeks seems like a ample buffer.

What could possibly go wrong with bankers never having audits, internal or external? Would could possibly go wrong with contractors doing all self inspection and never dealing with building departments? What could possibly go wrong if states and municipalities inspected all their infrastructure on their own time and budget? What could possibly go wrong with self inspection of nuclear power plants? Etc.

I'm retired from development and support.[emoji111]
Great list.

FWIW, back in the good old days of mainframe computers our philosophy was to always be 6 months or one release behind. Let others fight on the bleeding edge of technology. Today, that time frame is rather long, but I do wait a week or two after any new software release or updates just to make sure I don't get bit by some unforeseen bug. Usually, social media is full of complaints with a few days so two weeks seems like a ample buffer.
Yep. I wasn't paying attention as to just how new (literally the day of release) when I agreed to the update.

Over my career and many companies, the products my Mega and Kilo corps put out were all to big, mostly wise, customers. Only about 20% of the customers would take recent releases. The other 80% usually were on releases at least 1 year old. Just For This Reason.

I Google'd Slimjet and it came up as a web browser not an OS.

My mistake... I know better. :facepalm:

But... about Slimjet... I have several old computers...Windows 7, XP and Vista. ..Chrome no longer supports these operating systems.... but....

Slimjet Does! and, IMHO quite well. In some cases, easier to use than Chrome.
...and, can't beat "free".

I have one PC that uses Windows 10 and indeed updates are a PIA (I keep it on Win 10 because turbotax, HR, taxcut etc won't run in linux) . All my other computers use Linux Mint and no problems at all there.

Kudos to those who have already wisely gone to Macs. Unfortunately I can't afford the several thousand dollars that it would require to buy all new computers. ...
As others have mentioned, there is another alternative: Linux.

Use inexpensive common hardware, and IMO, a better experience than either Windows or Apple. Having to troubleshoot anything on DW's Macbook now drives me crazy - not because of non-familiarity (I was Apple only for decades), but because so many things are harder on Apple. It was only fairly recently that they upgraded to tabbed Finder windows, they hide system and library files from you, and make you jump through hoops to see them.

On the MacBook, I had to go into the terminal and jump through hoops and restart the Finder every time I wanted to view 'hidden' files/folders (".filename"), and it affected the machine globally, and then repeat/restart to return to the default. On my Linux (Xubuntu variant), I simply type CNTRL-H to toggle show/hide hidden folders, per window, not globally.

-ERD50

I have one PC that uses Windows 10 and indeed updates are a PIA (I keep it on Win 10 because turbotax, HR, taxcut etc won't run in linux) . All my other computers use Linux Mint and no problems at all there.

+1
Another vote for linux, except I use Ubuntu.

Keep a Win machine around for taxes and occasional w*rk vpn transfer.

I have not really had much in the way of Windows problems, just didn't want to pay $110 for an OS when I built my computer.

I agonized a few month back about what OS(es) to use. I'm now at peace using Win as my primary and Linux for some things Win does a crappy job at -- plus, I like to have alternatives as a choice :).

I can deal with Linux. But some stuff just needs Windoze. Linux also gives me w*rk flashbacks. Of course, if I stay away from opening a terminal window, even that goes away.

I went through this last spring when I finally had to replace my computer. I wanted Windows 7, but it was not available, so I went with Win 10. However, before I did that I found out how to stop the annoying forced updates by using a metered network connection configuration. Now updates are done when and how I want, which for the most part is never unless it is a security issue.

With regard to Linux, I may go that route next or have a boot up option with that. My concern is that for my consulting, I need to use good Office compatible documents and the Open Office and Libre have some quirks that show up in Office documents that are difficult to manage.

Nevertheless, I agree with most here, Windows has turned into a PITA the last few years - heck, Microsoft in General - double heck, Google, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft - power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely....oops, rabbit hole :)

I am pretty sure to be alone on this one.

Windows 8.1 will probably be my preferred OS through 2023. As opposed to Win 10, updates can still be installed manually at my discretion and convenience.

On two of my Windows computers, I keep Linux Mint on a separate drive that can be switched as easily as a USB device.

When Win 7 loses mainstream support in 2020, those computers will probably be using Linux although Win 10 is an option.

My mistake... I know better. :facepalm:

But... about Slimjet... I have several old computers...Windows 7, XP and Vista. ..Chrome no longer supports these operating systems.... but....

Slimjet Does! and, IMHO quite well. In some cases, easier to use than Chrome.
...and, can't beat "free".

I would be careful about going online with PCs running XP and Vista.

Microsoft has a little known version called Windows 10 LTSC, it doesn't update every 6 months, only every 3 years. It has no junk in it like Candy Crush. It is the way they should have done it if it was done right. They don't want regular users using it, it is only for business.

Back
Top Bottom