Is there a financial “summary” site that you read and reference every day?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

I’m looking for a summary site that provides big picture view of national and international markets, news, etc ...

What do you read in the mornings and reference during the day?

http://finance.yahoo.com

I like that they show the 3 majors, the Nikkei, the VIX and some currencies right across the scrollable ribbon at the top, then on the right side if logged in with your own portfolio tickers showing (provided you added them to the porfolio).

It's basically a one stop shop and super simple to setup. They show/aggregate news from multiple sources.

Although I tend to only watch the financial news for satirical entertainment and usually take it with bias and a grain of salt.

Now tax policy change, and retirement policy change is definitely something I pay attention to even at the macro level of my own employers sponsored 401k plan.

As much as I dislike most of the programming on CNBC, I do like the website since it shows the top 5 or so financial related stories on the right side of the page. I *might* read a 1/3rd of the stories, but it gives me an idea of what is going on. I don't know how ad intensive the site is though, my Adblock plus works pretty well on the site.

I don't really read any of them, since I am pretty much a buy-and-hold mutual fund investor. Besides, I pretty much think that all these websites are garbage because I don't believe any of the authors have a clue. If they did, they wouldn't tell ME about it; they'd be away on their own private island or yacht, enjoying their billions.

I do go to Yahoo Finance every day to see what the markets are doing. If an article there catches my eye, I might read it. But, I don't take any of them very seriously.

Thanks - took a look at all of them ... they're all sort of following the same format ... was hoping there was something I hadn't noticed - with a bit more bling that would allow some tailoring for specific interests ...

msnbc/yahoo/bloomberg plus weathica for portfolio consolidation.

I start every day with Morning Joe because I align with his world view.

I'm learning it's all entertainment. I do not like Jim Cramer, I do like Bloomberg. CNBC is interesting sometimes. Just keeping up with "who's up, who's down" what the future looks like. I like those commentators. I'd like an elementary financial channel that doesn't use acronym's all the time. It's so fast paced.

Not every day. I usually put on the financial channel in the morning while getting ready for work (unless they get annoying at which point the remote control is used).

I also listen to a financial station on the radio while driving.

I don't really read any of them, since I am pretty much a buy-and-hold mutual fund investor. Besides, I pretty much think that all these websites are garbage because I don't believe any of the authors have a clue. If they did, they wouldn't tell ME about it; they'd be away on their own private island or yacht, enjoying their billions.

I do go to Yahoo Finance every day to see what the markets are doing. If an article there catches my eye, I might read it. But, I don't take any of them very seriously.

Yes, I don't look at any of these sites to drive any actual investment decisions. But I do like to keep up in general on what's going on in industry, and sometimes find specific news about a company interesting. If I run into someone who works at one of those companies, or in that industry, I find it can help get some conversation going. Or just feeds my general curiosity.

Some good links for that here, I need to bookmark these and try them out for a while. Thanks to all!

-ERD50

When I'm interested, I go to Kadaza and "finance and biz" then click through the sites I like.

I’ve got two TV shows programmed to record on a regular basis: CBS Sunday Morning and PBS Nightly Business Report. The latter presents finance-related news in a much calmer way than networks like CNBC (in my opinion). I do check the CNBC mobile app if I want to see which way the wind is blowing in the markets.

I find the cable business news just try’s to hook you in with hype (up or down) and to me that is annoying.

I read MarketWatch on my phone and am happy with their summary.

I’m kinda liking seekingalpha ... hard core stuff with real article links ...

Finance.yahoo has quick info on markets, but nonsense trash for articles.

Kanazawa.com is interesting .... but can’t be tailored, right?

I think someone already mentioned Bloomberg.com. I also like their mobile app. They do a good job showing the top financial news and they include tabs for indices, commodities, currencies, futures, rates and bonds.

I am a passive investor so I pretty much ignore the noise and don't even watch the market that much. It will do what it's going to do and I cannot control it, so hovering over it just leads to heart burn.

When mini-megacorp went public our CEO appeared on the set with Jim Cramer. Cramer ran on and on about the company (I LOVE you guys). CEO sits there looking uncomfortable as Cramer rattles on and on about fictitious competitors and a bunch of nonsense. He knows nothing! I’m sure the average onlooker assumed he knew what he was talking about so I always have that image in mind when I see Cramer speaking as if he knows a company’s business. If he would just stick to revenue, share price etc I’d have more respect for him.

I like https://www.wsj.com/news/markets. Right side has snapshot of major markets. I check this multiple times a day to see how the markets are trending. Click the Europe tab to see their markets. In the evenings you can click the Asia and Futures tabs to see markets opening the next day, oil futures, etc.

Back
Top Bottom