The Running Back and the $14.5M

The big difference between the NFL and the other major pro sports is that contracts beyond what is specifically stated are not guaranteed. So you have to ignore the contract amount and look at the amount of guaranteed money that is in the deal.

I do not blame him for trying to maximize his worth. He is doing nothing illegal and is taking the risk that by sitting out, what he will get will more than make up for the 14.5M (which would not be guaranteed) he is foregoing. Perhaps he is a player than has been careful with what he has earned so far, and can afford to do it. It is not that dissimilar to Kirk Cousins. While Kirk did not sit out a year, he refused to sign a contract and played under the franchise tag - taking the risk that an injury could have wiped out his value - and ended up with a much bigger payday from someone else.

In addition sitting out a year may be a healthy benefit for him, giving the amount of carries he has had in his career. While older running backs who do well are rare, there are enough recent examples that a team will be willing to take a chance. Remember, it is not just the running back, but the quality of the offensive line for that running back.

I always find it interesting how someone with his level of carries and catches are admired for being a "workhorse" and having "all-around skills", and the club designs their offense to use him a lot... but then when it comes to contract time it changes to "wear and tear" and "longevity". That is the nature of the NFL as a business.

Yes, it's as much about what is guaranteed as it is about the total "contract". Also, once you've let them know you want out, or they figure they won't sign you, they are under no compunction to limit your touches, for fear of wearing you out.
I can't imagine what it does to your body to play running back in the NFL, particularly one like Bell, who is featured in the run game as well as the passing game.
Bell needs to fire his agent. He was given bad advice. He no longer has bargaining power.

ponyboy, I don't understand. Once he's a free agent, he has more bargaining power than ever, does he not?

1st 4 years for Bell: $4.12 million rookie contract that included $2.27 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $1.37 million.
2017 year: $12.12 million (franchise tag)
2018 year: declined the 2nd franchise tag and $14.5 million.
2019 year: maybe a third franchise tag?

Le'veon is challenging the system, I believe. He's also taking a serious look at risk management. He ran 321 times in 2017, under the franchise tag. He risked a lot, and takes a year to recover from a very high number of attempts for a modern running back.

Any thoughts regarding Le’veon Bell’s approach?

May be a good approach to leave a team :popcorn:.

No one is indispensable. Think of all the franchise players in sports history that didn't play for the same team their entire career.

That said, I think football is one sport that the huge contracts are more justified as a football career is usually a lot shorter than other sports due to the risk of injury. Think of Bo Jackson, for example. Football ended his sports career.

Bell sitting out a year is a risk for him too as the average productive life for most RBs is short.

Back
Top Bottom