A Solo Seniors Guide to Happiness

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My sister is in this situation, though it might be a worthwhile read for some here? Some good ideas and resources in the article. DW and I don’t have kids, so we’ll need to plan similarly.
A growing number of people are facing retirement by themselves. Here’s how to prosper and live life to the fullest when it’s a party of one.

Retirement: Seniors Without Family Are Finding Resources | Money

Thanks! That looks like a great article. We are childless. Siblings only a little younger. We'll definitely be looking at how to hire advocates in our older years.

I have a much younger sister-in-law, but she lives overseas.

Last edited:
Thanks Midpack that was good.

Thanks for this article, Midpack. This gives me hope that by the time DH and I need help, there will be resources available, especially if we are proactive about it. We’re still in our 50’s but this has been a concern of mine as we don’t have kids and most of our friends are a bit older than we are.

Do some thinking before joining the Facebook group. Who is getting your very specific demographic info linked to your name? I got out of it AFTER I thought about it.

It's a good article about the issues though.

Midpack, what a cool article!

I loved the part about the man having breakfast 6 days/week with other elderly singles who would check on him if he didn't show up. Having contacts like that could mean the difference between happily living alone, or having to live in a facility simply for safety's sake.

I loved the part about the man having breakfast 6 days/week with other elderly singles who would check on him if he didn't show up. Having contacts like that could mean the difference between happily living alone, or having to live in a facility simply for safety's sake.

like a Romeo group

retired old men eating out

like a Romeo group

retired old men eating out

Exactly! Too bad there aren't Roweo groups, retired old women eating out. Right now Frank and I do that every day, but if I didn't have him in my life then I'd sure like to belong to a Roweo group.

Excellent article! Thanks, Midpack, for posting.

Definitely a concern of mine.

omni

Exactly! Too bad there aren't Roweo groups, retired old women eating out.

Maybe it needs a catchier name to catch on. Rodeo - Retired old dames eating out. Yee-haw!

Maybe it needs a catchier name to catch on. Rodeo - Retired old dames eating out. Yee-haw!
I love it! :LOL:

I think that is the Red Hat Society.

https://www.redhatsociety.com/
Oh! I think I have heard of that but don't know much about it at all. I'll check out their website.

Edited to add: EEK, I just couldn't dress like that, just to join a club; that's just not me or who I am. The Red Hat Society sounds great for those who like it, but as for me, I'll pass and keep looking for a Rodeo club. :D

Exactly! Too bad there aren't Roweo groups, retired old women eating out. Right now Frank and I do that every day, but if I didn't have him in my life then I'd sure like to belong to a Roweo group.

It's called Ladies who Lunch and there are a lot of those groups around . I belong to one that meets on Fridays .

Why is everyone talking single sex? I'd want a mixed group of friends. Not just women.

I see groups of the same old men early in the morning at various McDonalds I go to occasionally for breakfast before golf, travel, oil changes, etc., always thought it was a little sad. Now I'm thinking they're smart to do so...

Why is everyone talking single sex? I'd want a mixed group of friends. Not just women.

That is a little tricky as you age .If you are a widow or a divorcee couples avoid you like the plague .I have a few male friends but I have had them for years and they are friends with both My SO & I.

I meet almost every day around 8:00 AM at a local Burger King with between 5 and 12 retired guys who have known each other for several years. It's a ROMEO group for sure.

A few retired women usually show up around 10:00 AM for their own meeting about the time we are breaking up.

It's all good.:cool:

Great article. Thanks for posting the link, OP.

I plan to move into a CCRC later, which will address many concerns.

I like that as I move to assisted living or nursing unit, I won't lose my friends. They will still live in building or on campus.

Gee, I would hope that by the advanced ages we are talking about, this would no longer be an issue. Also if people are still coupled-up, they probably don't have the same loneliness issues as being discussed.

I have never fit in well with all-women groups. However, I've always fit in well with mixed sexes, as long as there is some common interest. Something about men and women in a group together, seems to tone down the more tedious aspects of either sex.

That is a little tricky as you age .If you are a widow or a divorcee couples avoid you like the plague ..

Great article. Thanks for posting the link, OP.

I plan to move into a CCRC later, which will address many concerns.

I like that as I move to assisted living or nursing unit, I won't lose my friends. They will still live in building or on campus.

Even in a CCRC I am concerned about having a health advocate and other people who look out for me. I don’t feel that I can depend entirely on the CCRC.

Last edited:
Gee, I would hope that by the advanced ages we are talking about, this would no longer be an issue. Also if people are still coupled-up, they probably don't have the same loneliness issues as being discussed.

I have never fit in well with all-women groups. However, I've always fit in well with mixed sexes, as long as there is some common interest. Something about men and women in a group together, seems to tone down the more tedious aspects of either sex.

Sadly I think it is an issue with the elderly, especially because as time passes, there are way more women than men. In my dad’s assisted living facility, two women were kicked out because they were fighting over him constantly.

Even in a CCRC I am concerned about having a health advocate and other people who look out for me. I don’t fell that I can depend entirely on the CCRC.

You are right about having an advocate. The residents who have someone visiting frequently and watching how their loved one is being treated get more attention.

I think you're right. The genders seem to buffer the more negative traits that come out when it's all one gender or the other. I guess the desire to not look like complete fools to the opposite sex is a strong force in our lives.

With some experience in a CCRC, (even though we live in a separate "Villa".

Living in a group residence doesn't necessarily mean automatic socialization. Of course eating meals together necessitates human contact, but it is not uncommon to have loners. Our CCRC does have a very active program to bring people together...planned events, as encouraging card games, dominoes, and bingo's that go on every day of the week.
A well organized calendar for shopping, concerts, gaming boats, and classes for cell phones and computers. Hymn sings, health lectures and exercise routines and cookouts.

This does not just happen. Before making a decision for yourself or a loved one, all of this is just as important as nice buildings, comfortable living areas and good physical care.

Back
Top Bottom