Giving Tuesday

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, tomorrow is Giving Tuesday and to me it is the start of the year I really like to give, it is the season.

I'm a board member of a Foundation that has been a big part of my life. This foundation is very unique in that every penny giving goes back to the people in a very large area. No money that is donated pays wages or any overhead costs ALL goes back to the people.

For me I have always seen the value it does for the community and surrounding area. EMT's, fire dept., law enforcements, hospitals and individuals needing health care have been helped through this foundation.

It is heart warming to see these gifts of money going for a great cause. It is a Foundation that helps the new born to the oldest and every group or organization that may need help and qualify for help.

My wife and I will be matching all funds that come into a time slot tomorrow. I hope it is a great day of giving and I encourage people to give on Tuesday, to start the giving time of the year.

Good for you Street. We set up our charitable donations a few days ago as QCD’s from our IRA’s as part of our RMD’s for the year.

Interesting they make another National day. As it is, many of the charities and churches can make up to 60% of their income during these last six weeks. Personally I give throughout the year so mostly ignore this. However I am curious if this is the first year? I wonder if this was done do to spur on those who normally would use this on Schedule A and might not have that benefit this year.

What is the day of giving?

Giving Tuesday, often stylized as #GivingTuesday for purposes of hashtag activism, refers to the first Tuesday after U.S. Thanksgiving in the United States. It is a movement to create an international day of charitable giving at the beginning of the Christmas and holiday season. It has went global and over 100 countries have it as their national day of giving.

I also give through the year but today is a day that is designated for giving. So the word gets out all across the country and giving on this day has been a huge day for charitable organizations. It make us aware to give if we can to help others and community.

It was recognized in 2012 as the day of giving.

Yet another of the banal, contrived 'Hallmark holidays' (Children's Day, Earth Day, Family Day, Grandparents' Day, Military Spouse Day, Parents' Day, Peace Officers Memorial Day, Secretaries' Day, Siblings' Day, White Cane Safety Day) that are manufactured in the USA. To regard it as truly international is quite a stretch.

I contribute regularly throughout the entire year, and in my view this campaign is meaningless and unnecessary. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
I like to save up throughout the year and make most of our donations in early December. This allows me to budget for a little unscheduled giving throughout the year if friends have fundraisers for causes we want to support. In December I take what we have left in our charitable giving budget and distribute it, and usually the unscheduled giving doesn't affect the scheduled giving much or at all, but it's much simpler for me to manage this way.

To me #Giving Tuesday has become symbolic in the sense that it reminds people to give. We all give which is a wonderful thing, how we give, or when we give, is an induvial decision. It is a day where there is a push on social media to remind people of how important giving is to many. So it is a day to remind the fortunate to share and that is about it.

I always feel blessed that I can give and is heartwarming to see the results from people that can give. I especially see it from a community of a very rural area but large area benefit from giving. The thing that can be accomplished is huge.

Yet another of the banal, contrived 'Hallmark holidays' (Children's Day, Earth Day, Family Day, Grandparents' Day, Military Spouse Day, Parents' Day, Peace Officers Memorial Day, Secretaries' Day, Siblings' Day, White Cane Safety Day) that are manufactured in the USA. To regard it as truly international is quite a stretch.

I contribute regularly throughout the entire year, and in my view this campaign is meaningless and unnecessary. YMMV, of course.

I agree. Will probably donate zero today, although a couple of days ago I donated to a friend's fundraiser; she's going to be doing the Anchorage Marathon in June to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and said she'd match anything received through today. Last year my charitable donations were 15% of my AGI- mostly money with some mileage and a few items as well. I don't need a reminder- I know I'm blessed.

I have a friend who runs a small non-profit animal sanctuary.
She tells me that during the winter months of January and February the donations drop a lot. So if she can get a lot of donations at this time of the year, it is great.
It makes up for the slow months.

We donate year around. Mostly just another charge each month. I volunteer Tues and Fri every week. Won't do anything additional today, but if it helps to remind people that there is need throughout the world, then it does good.

I always keep a stash of ones and fives in my backpack for tips. This time of year, I raid said pack and drop in any Salvation Army kettle that I pass. Sort of my year end surge.

My wife and I will be matching all funds that come into a time slot tomorrow. I hope it is a great day of giving and I encourage people to give on Tuesday, to start the giving time of the year.

I’m about to do one of my regular donations. I like to wait until they have a matching funds promotion. Usually it’s a major company doing the matching, however this time the donation is being matched by the organizations’ board members. Good for them and good for you street.

^ thank you, and this group here on ER, is a very giving group of people. It is a day that helps bring in some funds and for some this is the day they give and don't all year long so I'm glad there is such a day.

Back
Top Bottom