Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/sleep-for-a-nightcap-which-is-healthier-alcohol-or-marijuana-if-you-need-chemical-94939.html)

michelek 11-26-2018 09:59 PM

Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Sometimes people use sedatives to help them end the day. Given that there are health risks for all chemical means to achieve sleep: The studies on the cancer risk of drinking alcohol are all over the board. Even the ďpeopleís pharmacyĒ says the risks of alcohol are not nearly as bad as it appears in the media depending on each person. Is it safer to end the day with marijuana/ wine or booze or other chemical assistance?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000423201540
Health risks could be overblown by the media.

Doribe 11-26-2018 10:04 PM

Herbal tea

txtig 11-26-2018 10:49 PM

Makerís Mark, neat.

W2R 11-26-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doribe (Post 2147491)
Herbal tea

+1

Alternately, warm milk.

Sunset 11-27-2018 12:08 AM

I find I have no problem sleeping if I do an hour or two of hard physical labor, like digging 4 foot holes for concrete posts, or chopping wood.

When I just sit in front of the computer all day, I have trouble sleeping, I'll take 1/2 of a benedryal and that solves it.

mexexpat 11-27-2018 04:21 AM

Advil PM

sturbridge 11-27-2018 04:22 AM

Yoga and breathing exercises to wind down.

happy2bretired 11-27-2018 05:04 AM

Well I canít drink because of past bouts of pancreatitis. So, Iím currently experimenting with CBD oil even if itís not technically marijuana. I sometimes can reach that nice relaxing state but not consistently.

Dawg52 11-27-2018 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexexpat (Post 2147523)
Advil PM

This or Benadryl. I don't do it every night though. Just a couple of nights a week. Normally sleep pretty well but have a couple of nights I need some help.

donheff 11-27-2018 06:17 AM

I don't know and am not sure there is any research that answers the question about relative safety. Everything I read about alcohol would lead me to conclude that anything larger than a small night cap could be problematic and could interfere with sleep. I wonder why people think anything other than occasional use of Benadryl or NSAIDs like Advil are safe. NSAIDs are well known to cause gastro-intestinal problems.

I hear anecdotal reports from friends who use indica strains of marijuana to sleep (including DW who swears by it to alleviate restless leg syndrome and induce sleep) but I am not aware of studies documenting those effects or addressing safety of long term use. That said, I know people who have used it daily for half a century and seem fine. If I had sleeping problems I would risk marijuana before I would turn to regular use of NSAIDs and certainly regular use of prescription sleep meds.

VanWinkle 11-27-2018 06:24 AM

A clear conscious seems to work for me.:dance:

A clear conscious is the sign of a bad memory!

VW

erkevin 11-27-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexexpat (Post 2147523)
Advil PM

The sleep aid in this is diphenhydramine (benedryl). Just buy the generic; cheaper and no NSAID to destroy your stomach

MRG 11-27-2018 07:10 AM

Can't see anything on the OP.

IMHO alcohol will make you fall asleep and shortly after you will wake up restless and toss the rest of the night.

Cannibis, at least Indica strains are for relaxation and sleep. CBD while not technically indica, also makes for good rest. You may find that you don't dream as much or vividly. This can be a disappointment to some or a godsend to those who suffer with nightmares associated with PTSD.

FIREd 11-27-2018 07:22 AM

Herbal tea or herbal supplements for me. Alcohol makes me sleepy for a little while but then I have trouble staying asleep.

Alan 11-27-2018 07:23 AM

No blue light for at least 30 minutes before going to bed. That means no TV or computer screens. If you can't manage without, then many (most,all?) tablets and smart phones have a night time setting that removes much of the blue light from the display.

I use the last half hour to either listen to an audio book or read an e-book or paper book.

joeea 11-27-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelek (Post 2147489)
Is it safer to end the day with marijuana/ wine or booze or other chemical assistance?

It's safest to use none of the above.

MrsHaloFIRE 11-27-2018 07:59 AM

no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees

MichaelB 11-27-2018 08:09 AM

Curare, with an appropriate psychedelic compound.

Lawrencewendall 11-27-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE (Post 2147606)
no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees

Thatís funny! I used to do the same thing but I started at my toes. Now that I have a CPAP, a nightcap of rum puts me right in the spot. I dream now which I never did.:dance:

mystang52 11-27-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeea (Post 2147602)
It's safest to use none of the above.

+1 I'm a lifelong insomnia, despite being physically active. I think the best advice is to not go to bed at a set time, but wait until you are sleepy. Regardless of any appointment I may have the next day, I will not go to bed until I am drowsy.