Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

michelek

Recycles dryer sheets
Sometimes people use sedatives to help them end the day. Given that there are health risks for all chemical means to achieve sleep: The studies on the cancer risk of drinking alcohol are all over the board. Even the “people’s pharmacy” says the risks of alcohol are not nearly as bad as it appears in the media depending on each person. Is it safer to end the day with marijuana/ wine or booze or other chemical assistance?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-peoples-pharmacy/id268003768?mt=2&i=1000423201540
Health risks could be overblown by the media.

I find I have no problem sleeping if I do an hour or two of hard physical labor, like digging 4 foot holes for concrete posts, or chopping wood.

When I just sit in front of the computer all day, I have trouble sleeping, I'll take 1/2 of a benedryal and that solves it.

Well I can’t drink because of past bouts of pancreatitis. So, I’m currently experimenting with CBD oil even if it’s not technically marijuana. I sometimes can reach that nice relaxing state but not consistently.

I don't know and am not sure there is any research that answers the question about relative safety. Everything I read about alcohol would lead me to conclude that anything larger than a small night cap could be problematic and could interfere with sleep. I wonder why people think anything other than occasional use of Benadryl or NSAIDs like Advil are safe. NSAIDs are well known to cause gastro-intestinal problems.

I hear anecdotal reports from friends who use indica strains of marijuana to sleep (including DW who swears by it to alleviate restless leg syndrome and induce sleep) but I am not aware of studies documenting those effects or addressing safety of long term use. That said, I know people who have used it daily for half a century and seem fine. If I had sleeping problems I would risk marijuana before I would turn to regular use of NSAIDs and certainly regular use of prescription sleep meds.

Last edited:
A clear conscious seems to work for me.:dance:

A clear conscious is the sign of a bad memory!

VW

Last edited:
Can't see anything on the OP.

IMHO alcohol will make you fall asleep and shortly after you will wake up restless and toss the rest of the night.

Cannibis, at least Indica strains are for relaxation and sleep. CBD while not technically indica, also makes for good rest. You may find that you don't dream as much or vividly. This can be a disappointment to some or a godsend to those who suffer with nightmares associated with PTSD.

Herbal tea or herbal supplements for me. Alcohol makes me sleepy for a little while but then I have trouble staying asleep.

No blue light for at least 30 minutes before going to bed. That means no TV or computer screens. If you can't manage without, then many (most,all?) tablets and smart phones have a night time setting that removes much of the blue light from the display.

I use the last half hour to either listen to an audio book or read an e-book or paper book.

no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees

Curare, with an appropriate psychedelic compound.

no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees

That’s funny! I used to do the same thing but I started at my toes. Now that I have a CPAP, a nightcap of rum puts me right in the spot. I dream now which I never did.:dance:

It's safest to use none of the above.

+1 I'm a lifelong insomnia, despite being physically active. I think the best advice is to not go to bed at a set time, but wait until you are sleepy. Regardless of any appointment I may have the next day, I will not go to bed until I am drowsy.

All things in moderation.

I find melatonin to be a nice alternative to other consumables.

Melatonin, valarian root, or CBD oil work for me. Alcohol makes me sleepy, but I don't imbibe very often.

No solution. Have learned to get by with three hours of sleep.

BTW... where does one get marijuana? I don't think they sell it here.

Back
Top Bottom