Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Melatonin is a natural substance taken by gummies. And it's great for sleep.
My wife is taking OBD oil for restless legs, back and foot pains and in place of Klonipan. It's done a great job--actually miraculous. But I don't know if it makes you sleep well.

I just use hard work--being tired. Now if I could just get Xena the Rottweiler to quit waking me up at 3:00 a.m. for a good rubbing, I'd sleep much longer.

I'm interested in listening to the podcast, but I can't figure out which episode deals with this topic
What day was it published on?

No solution. Have learned to get by with three hours of sleep.

BTW... where does one get marijuana? I don't think they sell it here.
At a dispensary. Illinois has medical cannabis for some conditions. I did read there is a move to pass recreational cannibis in Illinois soon. Here's a link about qualifying medical conditions.

http://earthmed.com/patient-information/medical-conditions/

Qualifying Medical Conditions

While there are hundreds of conditions that can potentially be helped by the use of medical marijuana, the state of Illinois only recognizes the following conditions as treatable using cannabis.***Please note that this list will be changing as the Illinois law evolves. If you do not see your condition listed, please check back at a later date as we will be updating the list of medical conditions that the state of Illinois deems appropriate for medical marijuana use.**

Map of current legal status of cannibis:
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html

Last edited:
I read for about a half hour in bed before turning the light out. Then I start listening to a 12 minute meditative podcast on my i-Pod Shuffle. I rarely get to the very end before I am zonked out.

I find that getting fresh air everyday regardless of the weather helps me to sleep more soundly. I keep my house cool at night both winter and summer...can't sleep well if air is too warm...and sleep in a very dark bedroom with no distractions (tv, computer, etc.). I also try to go to bed at a consistent time and get up at pretty much the same time (11 p.m.-7 a.m.) and don't eat anything after 7 p.m. I sleep pretty well most nights.

I asked my doc about sleep, he said Melatonin or he could Rx Trazodone.

I just get hammered around 8:30 on Scotch and head to bed at 9.

If you're in an adult use or medical cannabis state, an indica dominant cannabis strain is worth a try. I know a good number of folks who use cannabis for relaxation and sleep. Most either smoke "flower" or use a vape pen. Edibles have delayed onset, and dosing is hard to control consistently.

If you try cannabis, they key is to microdose, then scale up to what works best for you. Today's cannabis is not like the Mexican "dirt weed" we had in the 70s -- it can be 5x stronger in THC concentration. Too much THC = a bad experience for most.

Some report that CBD aids in sleep, but I don't find that to be the case personally. I use CBD almost daily (in the morning) as a general health and wellness supplement.

It's safest to use none of the above.

says who? actually, were I in a cannabis friendly state I'd likely try just the opposite of what you consider the safest.

As it is, I muddle along with some alcohol in the evening, no TV or computer for an hour before sleepy-bye time, a clear and clean conscience, some reading in bed, and just figure it's ok if I wake up after two hours and need to pee and may or may not get right back to sleep.

After all, I'm retired, and don't need to answer to an alarm clock. And I avoid making any appointments before 11 AM.

says who? actually, were I in a cannabis friendly state I'd likely try just the opposite of what you consider the safest.

As it is, I muddle along with some alcohol in the evening, no TV or computer for an hour before sleepy-bye time, a clear and clean conscience, some reading in bed, and just figure it's ok if I wake up after two hours and need to pee and may or may not get right back to sleep.

After all, I'm retired, and don't need to answer to an alarm clock. And I avoid making any appointments before 11 AM.

Perfect. I add classical music, played VERY low (you can barely hear it) to the mix.

Perfect. I add classical music, played VERY low (you can barely hear it) to the mix.

excellent..I forgot to add that to my list. I have Alexa bedside. I prefer my Stan Getz Pandora Station to classical myself, but I'm sure classical would work just as well.
Yoga breathing helps me.

Yep, that too.

Melatonin for me.

Yep, indica cannabis. The wifey and I dropped our alcohol consumption by 90% and now use cannabis most evenings. We are sleeping like babies. This has been a life-changer for us!

sativa for me. if I can't get to sleep, I get up and smoke a small bowl. right back to bed and fall asleep immediately. but I never take anything before going to bed to make me sleep. could be because I get up when I wake up, usually 0400.

Ok seems like there’s more to know about all this marijuana stuff. Maybe I should spend a few nights in Colorado.

Last edited:
I am shocked how many think smoking dope is acceptable. Last husband was a daily user. I for one do not think this legalization trend is a good thing.

I will suffer with insomnia before using that crap. My new husband doesn't think I should care about all the dope smokers. He says it's just thinning the gene pool.

We recently rented a car from Hertz stunk so bad of marijuana it gave me an instant headache. It was a brand new car, we tried multiple air fresheners nothing worked.

You smell people here East Bay, smoking and driving on the freeway just ridiculous you think DUI but they can't determine a legal limit since it stays in your system so long.

Ok, rant over. Sigh.

I am shocked how many think smoking dope is acceptable. Last husband was a daily user. I for one do not think this legalization trend is a good thing.

I will suffer with insomnia before using that crap. My new husband doesn't think I should care about all the dope smokers. He says it's just thinning the gene pool.

We recently rented a car from Hertz stunk so bad of marijuana it gave me an instant headache. It was a brand new car, we tried multiple air fresheners nothing worked.

You smell people here East Bay, smoking and driving on the freeway just ridiculous you think DUI but they can't determine a legal limit since it stays in your system so long.

Ok, rant over. Sigh.

+1, I agree with you!

Ok, rant over. Sigh.

+1, I agree with you!

Well, you guys probably should just stay away from it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom