Hello from the UK ... retiring in 2019

Adventurer

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi,

Not sure if there are many UK members out there!?

So, I’m late 40s, fed up with the relentless all-consuming nature of work, and have decided to retire mid 2019. It’s not that I don’t like work, per se, but if it could be, for example, 5 hours a day, 3 days a week, I’d be fine carrying on. But, it isn’t! It seems to be all or nothing!

Married, my wife doesn’t work, a couple of teenage kids. They’ve all become used to a fairly extravagant lifestyle over the years (but, personally, I prefer simplicity), so there are likely to be a few hard conversations in the new year!

Anyone faced a similar situation before?

I didn't have that situation, but I suggest that you give everyone a clear explanation of the future financial rules so they can get used to what is coming. I am from the US but have been to the UK 3 times, and will be visiting again next year.

Have you come up with a future budget vs. the current budget, so you could explain in more granular fashion how the expenses will change?
Does the wife have any hints about these thoughts?

It depends how you define simplicity doesn't it? That discussion is no different if you are here or in the UK...

Welcome to the site Adventurer :flowers:

My wife and I grew up in the UK, myself in Co. Durham, my wife in Manchester. We moved to the USA in 1987, retired in 2010, traveled for a few years and moved back in May 2016 to North Yorkshire, to the town we were living in when our children were born.

How about yourself?

Hello Adventurer, welcome to the forum.

Before making any decision, make sure that the wife and kids are fully on board with that simpler living. In my experience, when you are not the one working for the money, it is much harder to give up a lavish lifestyle.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Yes, I have a clear annual budget, perfectly manageable with a bit of common sense. I’ve discussed with my wife a few times; she’s more concerned that I’ll be bored and directionless. But, I suspect she would also not appreciate me imposing budgets ... !! But, that’s perfectly manageable ... I think.

Alan, hi from close to London! I grew up in North Yorkshire, actually, Swaledale to be precise. Is that close to you? But, since then, I’ve lived in Scotland, London, and many countries overseas. The first thing we’ll do one I retire is put the house on the market and move somewhere with fewer people ...

And, what’s the ‘confused about dryer sheets’ thing all about, please.? Have I done something inadvertently in my registration?

Thanks for all of your responses.

Yes, I have a clear annual budget, perfectly manageable with a bit of common sense. I’ve discussed with my wife a few times; she’s more concerned that I’ll be bored and directionless. But, I suspect she would also not appreciate me imposing budgets ... !! But, that’s perfectly manageable ... I think.

Alan, hi from close to London! I grew up in North Yorkshire, actually, Swaledale to be precise. Is that close to you? But, since then, I’ve lived in Scotland, London, and many countries overseas. The first thing we’ll do one I retire is put the house on the market and move somewhere with fewer people ...

We live in a market town not far from Whitby, Guisborough.

As for dryer sheets...

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/whats-the-deal-with-the-dryer-sheets-44456.html

How do the teenagers feel about moving? This will probably affect them more then the budget issue.

Back
Top Bottom