Boy Scouts - Heartbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Here's the article:
The Boy Scouts of America is thinking about filing for bankruptcy to deal with all the lawsuits it faces over inappropriate conduct by employees. The Wall Street Journal reports the Boys Scouts hired a law firm for possible chapter 11 bankruptcy filing assistance. The Scouts, in a statement, said no immediate decisions about bankruptcy are expected. It wasn't immediately clear how a bankruptcy filing would affect the century-old organization's 2.4 million youth participants and nearly 1 million adult volunteers.

Wonderful memories of 45 years in scouting. From the earliest times, to squad leader to asssistant scoutmaster , to troopmaster, and then 30+ years as committeeman, merit badge counselor and counselor. Guiding young men to responsibility and commitment to society.

Yes, a change from the days when helping old ladies across the street, but one of the last basic moral foundations for our country.

But... a sign of the times. The few who abandon their promises. Whether entertainment, business, politics, and yes religion... the few who abandon their conscience and social morality, change the world in which our children are growing up.

So sad. 3.4 million who will be affected and forever changed.

One mans' opinion.

We received an email from the "Boy Scout Executive" this morning. The entirely email did not even address the financial situation the organization was facing. It did however talk at great length about the victims and families of abuse and how the BSA would continue to support them. My son is currently a Cub Scout and I a den leader. It saddens me the organization may not be solvent. Especially considering the annual dues and other costs we pay for our scouts to share the same experiences I had growing up.

I have many find memories of what the BSA was. In its current incarnation, let's just say I will not shed any tears if this mess is replaced by a successor that is what scouting once was for young men.

I was a scout for several years back in the day and have good memories of origination. There was absolutely no mention/discussion back then of the abuse you hear about today. I don't understand how anyone in a leadership position in the scouts, church's or any such organizations are allowed to get away with the things that "seem" to be happening today. There seems to be so much of it now, I often wonder if some (how much?) of it's fake news. Can't tell anymore since the news is filled with so much BS.

Last edited:
It's sad. Scout, Asst Cubmaster, Cubmaster, Asst Scoutmaster. Both my boys went through scouting to a mid level. They loved it. I agree that there were similarities to the Catholic Church debacle which is still ignored to a great degree. The final nail in the coffin was opening up the BSA to females. My guess is much of their independent financial support was cut off then

I was a scout for several years back in the day and have good memories of origination. There was absolutely no mention/discussion back then of the abuse you hear about today. I don't understand how anyone in a leadership position in the scouts, church's or any such organizations are allowed to get away with the things that "seem" to be happening today. There seems to be so much of it now, I often wonder if some (how much?) of it's fake news. Can't tell anymore since the news is filled with so much BS.

Back then folks didn't even talk about it.
I recall my Mother talking about one of her friends, and I told my Mother what all us children knew (the common rumor), that her friend was a Pervert, a child molester. She said "We don't talk about such things".
All us kids knew to NOT visit the fellow, but anyone not in our group was a potential victim.
Today, the news would spread world wide about him due to the internet, and would possibly force Police to check him out due to public pressure.
In our day, Police wouldn't listen to such stories/accusations from some kids.

Well, I guess the main issue is whether there is a demand for a hierarchical, "scouting"-type organization these days.

To me, it always looked as if the Boy Scouts did much more interesting activities than the Girl Scouts; and as far as I know, the GS have not been as scandal-ridden.

So, if the GS start doing more exciting activities, maybe they can open up the GSA to boys, and everyone can be happy. Acting like Nature has decreed that there are "girl" activities and "boy" activities always struck me as arbitrary and a bit silly.

Was in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Explorer Scouts, as well as some light volunteering. Don’t recall the national organization having much to do with it...

I think “scouting” offers young folks lots of opportunities, so I’m hopeful it will continue.

Well, I guess the main issue is whether there is a demand for a hierarchical, "scouting"-type organization these days.

To me, it always looked as if the Boy Scouts did much more interesting activities than the Girl Scouts; and as far as I know, the GS have not been as scandal-ridden.

So, if the GS start doing more exciting activities, maybe they can open up the GSA to boys, and everyone can be happy. Acting like Nature has decreed that there are "girl" activities and "boy" activities always struck me as arbitrary and a bit silly.

The gsa seems to be basically a cookie selling mlm.

As the father of an Eagle Scout, this saddens me to no end. The Boy Scouts were instrumental in forming that young boy into the man he is today. I hope they find some way to get past this and continue their good work.

I was in boy scouts back in the day. I didnt realize what their belief system was back then. Didnt realize they were against gays. Good riddance to that entire organization as far as im concerned.

The positive side to groups like this with archaic ways of thinking is they are slowing but definitely being extinguished. The younger generations want no part of it.

I also believe the internet is part of the movement. Exchange of information is much easier now, more instant. People are smarter. Heck, I call my smart phone a "bullsh*t meter." Its hard to lie considering someone can be called out with a simple internet search. My FIL hates it...yeah, he's one of those old school fellas.

Like Bob Dylan said..."the times they are a changin'

I was in boy scouts back in the day. I didnt realize what their belief system was back then. Didnt realize they were against gays. Good riddance to that entire organization as far as im concerned. ....

Like Bob Dylan said..."the times they are a changin'

But couldn't they re-invent themselves? Are we maybe throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

What's the term these days? "My views have evolved"?

-ERD50

I also believe the internet is part of the movement.

Yes, it's so much better for youngsters to sit in front of high powered gaming computers all day and to stare at smart phones the few minutes they're not gaming than to have them messing up the outdoors with their hiking and camping and..... and..... all that crap.

I blame Boy Scout leadership for focusing (at least to my eye) on the suburbs and rural areas and ignoring cities.
Being "not inclusive" has not helped in recent years.
Very diverse board -- https://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/about-the-bsa/national-leadership/ LOL

I hated Cub Scouts (no overnight camping).
I loved Boy Scouts (overnight camping is the only thing I cared about).

Yes, it's so much better for youngsters to sit in front of high powered gaming computers all day and to stare at smart phones the few minutes they're not gaming than to have them messing up the outdoors with their hiking and camping and..... and..... all that crap.

Nah...you're being dramatic and highlighting the far spectrum of what the internet is. It absolutely can be a huge time sink...if you allow it to be.

It can also be a massive educational tool. This is the part where parents need to actually parent, limit the amount of time young kids are on the interwebs.

But couldn't they re-invent themselves? Are we maybe throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

What's the term these days? "My views have evolved"?

-ERD50

Possibly...but the dinosaurs that are part of the boy scouts would need to go. More than likely something else would need to start up. Rebranding only goes so far when massive damage has been done.

Like with the Catholic church, there was a major coverup that allowed abuse to continue. That is the crime of the organization itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom