Bank Accounts - How Many Do You Have?

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious, how many different bank or S&L accounts do you have? My daughter mentioned in passing that my wife and I seem to have a lot of bank accounts. Am I out of the norm?

3 checking, 3 CD's and 1 Money Market for a total of 7.

2 checking (1 B&M, 1 online), and 1 online savings plus my FIDO joint brokerage acct with cash management.

3 "banks"... CU we have had accounts with for 33 years but now 25 miles away, bank with branch at our closest gas station/grocery store and Discover Bank for cash in our retirement account.

3 accounts with the CU... 2 checking and 1 savings... 1 account each with the other 2 banks... so 5 accounts in all.

The CU checking account is our main bill paying account, the other checking account is rarely used as is savings account. The closest bank is mainly for ATM/cash withdrawals and an occasional deposit where we receive a physical check.

Discover Bank is because for the longest time MM yields were pathetic and online savings account yields were much better... now that MM accounts are more competitive I could close that in favor of VMMXX but I'm keeping it only in case the situation reverses back to what it was before.

I could consolidate some but what we have now is manageable since 3 of the 5 accounts have minimal balances and activity and are effectively dormant.... so only 2 of the 5 have any regular activity.

One checking, my Vanguard IRA, and a Simple IRA for my pt job. I simplified.

One B&M bank with checking, savings and HELOC, one Credit Union with checking & savings, Ally online for emergency fund, and Vanguard for our IRA's. So, I guess that's 4?

Less is more to me. We have three, considering dropping to two - BnM checking, online savings and brokerage. My wife’s 401k will rollover soon, we’re depleting our HSA as fast as possible, and I’m ready to sell off my iBonds (not worth having IMO).

I do everything through a cash management account at my brokerage, so I guess one? Maybe by the OP's definition, none.
I like the power and simplicity of consolidation. Makes record keeping and tax time pretty simple.

I have 3 financial accounts:

1 credit union with Checking, MM and a couple of CDs.

1 Vanguard account with a Cash Advantage account, IRA and mutual funds and
1 Ally account with a savings, checking and a CD ladder.

So only 3 places but a LOT of different accounts within them.

We have a checking account at Wells Fargo that we rarely use. We keep it just for the occasional B&M service discussed in another recent thread (notary, large cash withdrawal/deposit, etc).

Most of our normal banking activity utilizes our Fidelity cash management account, including checking, bill-pay, direct deposit, ATM, check deposit, and cash-back CC. Not sure I'd call that a "bank account" though. It's a Fidelity brokerage account with all cash management features enabled.

We have an online savings account at Ally where we keep a small cash allocation as part of our investment portfolio.

I guess that's 3... or maybe 2. I could probably consolidate everything to the Fidelity CMA, but what we have is easy to manage.

I have only one bank account, a Schwab high yield investor checking account. I do also have a Fidelity cash management account that has some of the same features as a bank checking account but it is not a bank account and I do not have checks for that account and I do not use it as a checking account.

(3) accounts at local CU where we pay bills and use ATM. Money market account for savings through Capital One. Cash account at Fidelity to buy sell stocks. Ira with Fidelity and (2) Roths with Fidelity. So(5) I guess.

4 institutions.
2 online savings
1 B&M savings
1 Checking
2 TIRA
1 401K

We have a lot these days - 2 standard banks, 4 credit unions, 3 online savings accounts. So that’s 9. Multiple accounts at those institutions.

Plus we have 2 brokerages that also provide us checking/cash management and associated ATM cards. Multiple accounts at each brokerage too.

We ended up with several credit unions for different CDs and/or credit card offers.

We also have funds/CDs across multiple online banks to stay under FDIC limits.

We’ll simplify one day, maybe one standard bank, one brokerage, one high yield savings (depending on limits) and drop the credit unions.

I have only one bank account, a Schwab high yield investor checking account. I do also have a Fidelity cash management account that has some of the same features as a bank checking account but it is not a bank account and I do not have checks for that account and I do not use it as a checking account.

It actually is a bank account. If you look it up you can see which bank (or banks) they are using to hold your account.

Last edited:
Local Credit Union: 2 savings, 2 CD's
Local B&M Bank: Checking, Savings
Online MM account
Brokerage: After tax, 2 tIRA's, 2 RothIRA's

So I guess that is 12?

FWIW, the CU savings accounts only have a few bucks (required to open the CD accounts)

It depends upon your definitions.
1. We have no business relationship with a bank.
2. We do have accounts with our excellent credit union (DCU.org).
3. Our credit union allows us to have sub-accounts, so:
a. For me
Checking
Savings
House
Escrow
Vacation
Dave's Stuff
b. For wife
Checking
Savings
Clothing
Vacation
c. For both of us
Business checking
B savings
B taxes

15 banks; several B&M, the rest online for us. 27 accounts, 4 soon to be canceled. We have accounts with banks we expect to offer good CD rates, accounts with several "hub" banks linked to a number of the other banks and which have high daily/monthly ACH limits, accounts with banks with cheap, fast and easy wire transfer capability, and accounts with banks that offered rate or bonus specials or that were needed for a credit card bonus.. I clear out the deadwood every year after the taxes are done and hide the dead accounts in Quicken so we don't have to look at them.

Having rentals, making property loans, having summer and winter homes in different states, and maximizing bonus and interest return makes for a bunch of connections - I enjoy it though.

Sounds like I'm not alone. And for me this doesn't include various investment/pension accounts. I just seem to "collect" these different accounts which I guess is good because my cash investments tend to be laddered.

Not according to Fidelity...

What is the Fidelity® Cash Management Account?
The Fidelity® Cash Management Account is a brokerage account,1 for your everyday spending and short-term investing needs with all the benefits of a traditional checking account including:

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/faqs-cash-management-account

It’s a brokerage account wrapper around a bank account. The core cash position is kept in one or more FDIC insured bank accounts.

Seven on-line banks. Savings, money market and checking scattered among them
Three big banks with local offices. Multiple accounts with one.
Schwab checking from the old days when they paid decent interest
Fidelity cash management, not really used much

Over 15 accounts. What can I say, I'm a rate chaser...

Not according to Fidelity...

What is the Fidelity® Cash Management Account?
The Fidelity® Cash Management Account is a brokerage account,1 for your everyday spending and short-term investing needs with all the benefits of a traditional checking account including:

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/faqs-cash-management-account

It’s a brokerage account wrapper around a bank account. The core cash position is kept in one or more FDIC insured bank accounts.

I agree with audrey. The routing number for my Fidelity CMA points to UMB. Their name is printed on the checks, albeit a lot smaller than the giant Fidelity branding.

Back
Top Bottom