Like a horror movie the foot prints in the snow add to hat uncomfortable feeling..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hunters like nothing better than a light snowfall. You can see the wildlife trails, including the predators....

In a prior post I mentioned that we had a ‘trespasser’ walk from our back yard up my drive way and then met a car at the corner. I called the next door neighbor who was on vacation (Joe was robbed Super Bowl night 2 years ago). and the police. They took a copy of the video.

We got about an inch of fluffy snow yesterday, It snowed very lightly all day. I get a call from the neighbor a half an hour ago. He found fresh adult footprints in his back yard. Apparently following the same path as the uninvited guest on Monday. Yikes. Joe said the prints were quite big. Great Big Foot.

Joe spoke to the neighbor behind us and his kids saw someone running through his property. Double Yikes.

The cameras captured him again .. we now believe he’s walking from a street quite a ways back. There is no other explanation.

Last edited:
stay home on SuperBowl Sunday!

are these people opening gates/hopping fences? Or is it open?

As a teenager I used to cut through peoples property for shortcuts, never really felt how they would feel bothered by it.
Now I understand how detested I must have been.

One of them was every morning on the way to school, the scuttle bucket the owner "farmer" had salt in his shotgun which would hurt but not kill, it made it more exciting.
I never knew anyone that got shot, probably just a story.

Do you have fence and gates and keep them locked with a padlock ?

stay home on SuperBowl Sunday!

are these people opening gates/hopping fences? Or is it open?

Gates are pretty nonexistent here
- 1 acre lots would make it pretty expensive
- 2 they are discouraged by many developments

Security cameras are good. Motion lights are even better. Or, better yet, a dust/dawn light. Stays on all night.

Like Sunset when I was a kid I would often cut through yards on my newspaper delivery route. Maybe put up no trespassing signs, the ones that also indicate video surveillance taken place.

+1 on the motion light. If he's cutting through your yard after dark, I would think a bright light clicking on as he went past would at least motivate him to change his route. You can install a solar-powered light that you don't even need to wire up.

If its happening nearish the same time, it could be something as innocent as someone is getting picked up or dropped off from work by family member or coworker. They could have quite a long walk and folks tend to take every cutthrough possible to save time, weather exposure and energy. And if someone is picking them up they may walk to the place more convenient for the driver and less convenient for them. HaloFIRE is a walker and is always outside. I could see him making it his business to talk to whoever this person is and casually see what they are about. Perhaps you are also so inclined

Had to re-read your post and several replies to be sure you weren’t referring to a critter.

A few years ago we had a nice tracking snow that showed that one of the mountain lions had carefully gone house to house down the street walking up to each front door in turn.

Like a horror movie the foot prints in the snow add to hat uncomfortable feeling..

My first thought was maybe wear a more comfortable hat...

Last edited:
When I lived in suburban Philly my yard was a cut through for school kids. My house was 2 doors down from the corner, and they'd cut across the two backyards, then down my driveway to our street. (Catholic school was 2 blocks up our street.)

I could have put up a fence. But decided as long as they walked on the grass, not the veggie plot, I was ok with them taking the short cut.

I, personally, wouldn't stress about someone cutting through your yard.

We think he may well be coming from a street behind our homes - it is however not close. I am not too concerned since the cameras answer the question who and when. The next door neighbor who was burgled 2 years ago is understandable upset. His home is sporting a new camera aimed at “Big Foots” prior path.

We have had a problem just a couple miles down the road where an aggressive homeless dude was living in a patch of woods left over between some older developments.

Lots of break-ins, vandalism, never did catch the guy, and just last week I saw multiple police cars at the site of a newly-built home (only around a mile way from my place) that accesses those woods...hmmm....

Perhaps put up "NO TRESSPASSING" signs. The bad guys might get the message.

If the walker is a local, then I don't see why one wouldn't talk to them. They could be another set of eyes for true vandals.

With fresh snow, why not try to track where the footprints are coming from? Sometimes even knowing where they are NOT coming from leads to some insight.

Back
Top Bottom