Are These Stove Flames Normal?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The flames seem a lot yellower than usual. Googling tells me the stove isn't getting enough air.

NDcta7X.png

What could have happened?

Google is right. Are all the burners like that?

It has been a while, but as I remember, there's an open tube that goes to the burners... if that got misadjusted, I'd get the mixed color flames.

My thought on whether or not this is all burners is because it helps to understand what’s going on. If it’s just one burner, then the adjustment is probably going to be the answer. Though, how did it get out of adjustment? Did you just move the stove or clean it in a way that would cause something to happen? It may just be that the burner isn’t seated right. Again, knowing a few things will help. If it’s all burners, I think I’d call a service person. Not sure if you can get bad natural gas but it would seem unlikely all the burners got clogged or out of adjustment all at one time.

More likely it’s a clog. You may have a spider in there. That’s the most common reason for this to happen in my outdoor grills’ burner.

Yes , abnormal. Call PG&E . They should come out to do a safety check and adjust anything that can be adjusted for free.

^ been already posted.

My thought on whether or not this is all burners is because it helps to understand what’s going on. If it’s just one burner, then the adjustment is probably going to be the answer. Though, how did it get out of adjustment? Did you just move the stove or clean it in a way that would cause something to happen? It may just be that the burner isn’t seated right. Again, knowing a few things will help. If it’s all burners, I think I’d call a service person. Not sure if you can get bad natural gas but it would seem unlikely all the burners got clogged or out of adjustment all at one time.

More likely it’s a clog. You may have a spider in there. That’s the most common reason for this to happen in my outdoor grills’ burner.

^^^

Yes. A spider did this to my outdoor burner.

^ I forgot everything you do is better and prettier. LOL

Guess what? Today it is back to normal. Here it is on high:

dlN92EX.png

Maybe there was a spider involved, but he couldn't stand the heat and got out of the kitchen?

PS Yes, it was all burners.

With it being all burners, my guess is that it was something with the gas. Maybe there was a loss in pressure. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think there is a central air flow that would get clogged. As the twice posted ( :) ) video shows, the air is burner specific. Maybe your stove is different, but at least it looks good this morning.

With it being all burners, my guess is that it was something with the gas. Maybe there was a loss in pressure. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think there is a central air flow that would get clogged. As the twice posted ( :) ) video shows, the air is burner specific. Maybe your stove is different, but at least it looks good this morning.

I've been having issues with the propane. Our new furnace frequently fails to light. It's a mess. Furnace guy has been out six times.

I had the propane regulator adjusted a week ago.

I've been having issues with the propane. Our new furnace frequently fails to light. It's a mess. Furnace guy has been out six times.

I had the propane regulator adjusted a week ago.

Time for a new regulator. A propane or natural gas regulator is adjusted once upon installation. If years down the road, suddenly gets flaky, needs adjustment, get a new one.

This is not an area to cheap out. Seriously.

Get a new furnace guy too. 6 trips to figure out a supply pressure issue ?

Time for a new regulator. A propane or natural gas regulator is adjusted once upon installation. If years down the road, suddenly gets flaky, needs adjustment, get a new one.

^ exactly. I would request a new regulator from your Energy Supplier. I also would tell him you are documenting this call and the problems that have been happening. The ball is in their hands and the liability is theirs and they know that if somethings happens. I wish you the best and hope it gets resolved because of the gas can be very dangerous.

Should have done that 3 trips ago. Seriously, a furnace is not rocket science, and they can of course be dangerous if not repaired correctly. Anyone that tries 6 times and fails is incompetent, and possibly dangerous.

As far as the yellow flames, I have noticed some yellow on rare occasions on our stove. For maybe a day, then back to normal? I assume it is atmospheric pressure or humidity related, maybe furnace and water heater on at the same time drops the pressure? Since it was a minor change and went away, I never was too concerned.

However, the flames you show are very yellow. Mine were never that bad.

Can you get a pressure meter connected somewhere in the house so you can monitor the situation?

Don't play around, get someone competent in to look at it.

-ERD50

BTW, did you ever get a larger gas line installed for your tankless water heater that was tripping off on safety control years ago ?

EDIT: that might have been another poster with the tankless problem.

Last edited:
BTW, did you ever get a larger gas line installed for your tankless water heater that was tripping off on safety control years ago ?

EDIT: that might have been another poster with the tankless problem.

Yeah, that was someone else.

Good to know. Will do. I was thinking that a new one might be a waste if the old is now putting out enough pressure (13.5 " of water column), but I take it there are other issues involved? I'll do it and hope it solves the furnace issue. #BurnThatDough!

Furnace guy has seemed good, but I agree he should have caught this early, perhaps. OTOH, some of his visits were for other problems (water coming out onto the floor, for example).

My concern is that because the pressure was low, things have sooted up, so that even with good pressure, the furnace will still have problems. What do you think?

About 1/10 times it cycles up, turns on the flame, fails to detect the flame, shuts down for 10 seconds, then starts up again (usually successful second time around).

Here's a video I took so the furnace guy could see the problem even if it didn't happen when he came here.

I had to do this about six times before I got it to fail. That's why you hear me say "Ah. Got it!" when it fails.

Last edited:
UPDATE

The furnace continued failing to ignite occasionally, even after having the pressure raised and installing a new regulator.

The furnace swapped it out for a new furnace, no charge. Since then, it's worked flawlessly.

The theory seems to be that pressure was low. As a result, the new furnace sooted up such that it was no longer usable/fixable. That low pressure may have been the cause of the failure of the last furnace.

What should have happened: Either the furnace guy should have tested the pressure and said, "You have to fix this before we install the new furnace," or the new furnace should have refused to run at all with that lower pressure.

UPDATE

The furnace continued failing to ignite occasionally, even after having the pressure raised and installing a new regulator.

The furnace swapped it out for a new furnace, no charge. Since then, it's worked flawlessly.

The theory seems to be that pressure was low. As a result, the new furnace sooted up such that it was no longer usable/fixable. That low pressure may have been the cause of the failure of the last furnace.

What should have happened: Either the furnace guy should have tested the pressure and said, "You have to fix this before we install the new furnace," or the new furnace should have refused to run at all with that lower pressure.

Now the new furnace is failing to ignite in the same way.

Any idea what could be going on?

I'm ready to hire a new company and get a different brand of furnace, but could there be something wrong with the gas supply?

I'm ready to hire a new company and get a different brand of furnace, but could there be something wrong with the gas supply?

It is very unlikely that you have faulty gas, but maybe worth asking neighbors if they are having issues.
Unlikely, but possible:. Does it only fail to ignite when another gas appliance is running? This could lower pressure at the furnace even if the NG pressure at the meter/regulator is right.
More likely is a problem with the thermocouple/sensor. If it doesn't sense the heat of the flame, it won't send more gas. If this is a new furnace, this would likely be a warranty issue.

I'm ready to hire a new company
and get a different brand of furnace, but could there be something wrong with the gas supply?

Should have done that a long time ago.

This isn't rocket science, but the issues need to be understood. You and the company seem to be shotgunning this. If the problem is gas supply, a new furnace isn't going to fix it. Every brand has similar ignition systems, and many of the parts are generic commodity parts.

You are on propane right? Others are assuming utility NG supply I think. So I'd definitely start with your gas supply and get a company that knows something. They should measure pressure and validate good supply to all fixtures and make sure that you stay regulated with everything on at once. IIRC, you have a tank-less water heater that's going to be a big draw on propane. Did any of these guys monitor the furnace while drawing hot water at least?

Maybe call the furnace manufacturer, maybe they can recommend an installer that actually knows their brand?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

No, it happens even when no other gas appliances are on.

Our propane comes from a tank in our side yard.

Yes, we tried it with everything on at once: Dryer, tankless water heater, all stove burners running. Pressure was fine, furnace ran okay. Measured by propane company and furnace guy.

Had the propane company out, got a new regulator, everything is okay, according to them.

The furnace guy has been in touch with the manufacturer.

He says he's installed hundreds of these units.

What a pain. Will I be able to say: "Okay, take your furnace and I want my money back?"

Back
Top Bottom