What does lawn mowing cost in your area?

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just wondering if any of you know what people charge for lawn mowing and weed eating in your area?

This would be for less then 6000 square foot yard.

The first guy we hired was $40 for the yard (a bit over 1/4 acre). I did it myself for a couple of years after that, then hired another guy who has a bunch of customers all nearby if not right next to each other. He charges $25 for the yard and every other mow $50 for the common ground behind us. I want that mowed to keep the critters down in the woods.

In S. Fla here, so doing it myself is not a good option, not in the summer. I know plenty of people do it, I'm not one who wants to.

We have a service which gets a cut every two weeks for half the year, and every week the other half. Cut, edge, weed-whack. $90 a month. About 1/5 acre.

I only use them if we’re away, but it’s $30 per cut for our 0.33 acre lot.

When my riding lawnmower was being repaired a few years ago, I paid the neighbor teen $25 to do my lawn a few times.

It took about 2 hours to mow and put the clippings in my mulch pile. He didn't do any trimming.

A lawn service would have cost at least twice that much.

I always enjoyed doing my own yard work. The home we'll be moving to in a month is in an association and lawncare is paid by the HOA. I'll still putter, but won't be mowing any longer.

That gives me a good idea what people are charging. The full blown lawn services would be more like many of you have indicated. I thank you very much.

Just about $4 for 1.5 gallons of diesel to run my JD 955 72" mid mower over our 5 acres of grass...I have never paid anyone to mow.

I do it myself but I only cut about 10 to 12 acres around the house. That's $20 to $25 in diesel each time I cut it and 6+ hours of seat time.

Last edited:
My lot is 150' x 220', and I cut it with my own 54" commercial mower in 1/2 hour. It's too much fun to run a zero turn to give it up to an outside grass cutter. But it's nice that 100% of the yard is able to be cut by the rider.

Around here, it's about $50 to have a simple yard cut--if there's no trimming to be done.

Full year is $808.49, after a 10% discount for paying in full, and one free mowing for paying before 12/25. So, around $22/wk for mowing/trimming 0.2 acre Mar-Oct weekly, then two mowings in Nov and one in Dec.

HFWR >>> that is a very fair price per cutting.

Just wondering if any of you know what people charge for lawn mowing and weed eating in your area?

This would be for less then 6000 square foot yard.
My lawn guy charges $35 to mow and edge my 50x120 lot, about 6000 sf. Some in my area just charge $25-$30, but I pay more because I think he is reliable, trustworthy, and does a very good job. He has mowed for F's family for over 40 years, and has mowed for me for over 15 years.

He doesn't mow when it is raining, and also he only mows every other week during the coldest months. So, the total was $1295 for 2018.

When my 10+ year old lawn mower gave up the ghost a few years back, we looked at getting this service. We received estimates ranging from $50 to $110 per week May-Sept for slightly over an acre lawn. I decided it was still cheaper and not much of a time impact to get a basic $1000 riding mower with a mulching blade and keep doing it myself for now.

Last Summer I paid $28 for a 9,900 sq foot yd, it's on a corner so the lot is bigger than many of my neighbor suburb homes.
When I mow it myself, with a walk behind self powered mower, it takes me 1 hr, without trimming.

My lawn guys trim and mow it for that $28 per week, but no collection of clippings.

Last edited:
Rehabbed a vacant house a couple of years ago (to sell) and looked into having the small lawn mowed professionally. Did the math for the projected 12 weeks and bought a new Honda powered push mower instead. Kept the Honda at my personal home. Hauled my 8-9 year old Craftsman to the rehab-used it all summer, then sold it for $50. Was much simpler than hauling a mower back and forth (in my trunk) all summer.

$30 a cut for complete lawn and edging the grass around the sidewalks also. Or $100 a month. I used to cut it but can only do it before 8am or after 5pm in Florida during the brutal summers. To cut grass during the day under the sun in the summer is insane.

Lots in my neighborhood are 50x100. There is a guy that mows most of them for $35 each and one friend pays $40 to another person. It takes maybe 20 minutes to mow, edge and blow off the pavement with a 2 man crew. Seems like a rip to me. I do my own but will turn it over to someone at some point.

In Central Florida: 10K sq. ft. lot, $120 per month for mowing, edging and blowing plus removal of fallen palm fronds and other debris. Weekly mowings spring thru fall, 2x a month in winter.

In Central Mexico: 10K sq. ft. lot with extensive landscaping and fruit trees, 2 gardeners 5 days a week for 2 hours each day, USD equivalent $ 160 per month for complete lawn and garden care, mowing, trimming, planting, and debris removal, etc. PLUS they clean and maintain our swimming pool (fyi, pool service if hired separately runs about $ 50 per month).

In Central Florida: 10K sq. ft. lot, $120 per month for mowing, edging and blowing plus removal of fallen palm fronds and other debris. Weekly mowings spring thru fall, 2x a month in winter.

In Central Mexico: 10K sq. ft. lot with extensive landscaping and fruit trees, 2 gardeners 5 days a week for 2 hours each day, USD equivalent $ 160 per month for complete lawn and garden care, mowing, trimming, planting, and debris removal, etc. PLUS they clean and maintain our swimming pool (fyi, pool service if hired separately runs about $ 50 per month).
Gotta love living in Mexico. Expats I know living with other gringos in gated community said that hired help is easy to find. One retired family has a housekeeper, landscaper, driver and are living the good life.

WOW! What a deal.

1/4 acre lot. Takes me 40 minutes to mow with walk behind. Last year I traveled most of the summer and had a service mow and trim along the fence and house for $30 a pop. Took him about 10 minutes on his Ferris mower.

I have 2 acres I mow with my 60-inch zero turn. Takes about $2 in gas and 2 hours with some minor weed whacker trimming. My neighbor with a similar size yard pays $70/mow. In season it requires about once/week mowing here.

My mom had a stroke in 2017 so we had to mow her yard and keep it maintained until we could sell her house. She lived in a rural area about two hours from our house, so I called around to see if I could find someone to maintain the yard for us. She had a double city lot so I was expecting somewhere in the 30-50 dollar range. The quotes I got were around 250 dollars PER TRIP. Ouch! Needless to say, I loaded up my self-propelled walk behind mower and made the two hour drive once a week or so and mowed it myself. Took me just under an hour to mow and weed eat her entire property.

Back
Top Bottom