Wrong first name on daughters W2

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Preparing daughters 2019 tax return. First name on W2 not correct. Rest of information on W2 correct. Daughter contacted employer weeks, ago. Employer said they corrected the error, but cannot print out a corrected W2.

Small, 2 stores, french bakery.

Did google search. Old posts said not a problem. Went to IRS web site. Could not find "form" "instruction" which addressed this issue.

Any experts out there. :)

Thanks.

Not a problem. Last name and SSN are the important items that are subject to immediate computer matching when attempting electronic filing.

Not a problem. Last name and SSN are the important items that are subject to immediate computer matching when attempting electronic filing.

+1

Just make sure it matches what’s in her SS card and your fine

Couch potato method for determining if it is a problem: Send in the return. Wait.

I doubt it's a problem. DM's had the wrong first name since 1935. SS# is the key. Just don't try to get a passport.

Thanks, I won't worry. Just wish I could find "official" wording at IRS.gov site.

I have worked in payroll for 25 years. It is not a problem at all, as long as her SS# and last name are correct. It does not matter if you do the return by mail or electronically. The only time this is a problem is when someone takes their W-2 to something like H&R Block... then the rep usually refuses to do the return without a W-2C.

Back
Top Bottom