OTR convection/microwave problem

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
We have a Kenmore otr unit that is less than 3 yrs old. Recently we were using the convection oven mode when we noticed an odor that we guessed was either burning plastic or electrical or both. After determining that we were in no immediate fire danger we started the unit again, but it produced no heat - the oven feature was kaput. All other functions still work, microwave, timers, display, etc.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

No idea what the problem is. OTR microwaves are essentially throwaways. I'd almost be afraid of their convection ovens up there.

Our OTR microwave died in a similar fashion, no smells, but it was sudden death for the part that makes heat. Ours, however, was >10 years old.

We installed the replacement ourselves, as the cost for installation was greater than the cost of the microwave.

I'm on my 3rd OTR uwave in 10 years. 2 GE's and now a Samsung. "They don't make them like they used to" plus being over the stove burners adds stress to parts.
If this failure rate keeps up I'm going to just spend the counter space on a countertop model... its chewing up the wall with holes for installing all of the mounting brackets.

My 11 year old GE Profile is dying. The control panel is going wonky and not responding properly (all buttons act like you just pressed the left side ones).

Not bad for 11 years. I can get a LG new one installed and delivered from Home Depot for about $400 so that's the current plan.

Would never try to repair, since that's $75 spent just to get them to come out, and even if it's only $200 that is silly for a old unit. For a 3 year old or higher end I might think about it.

Back
Top Bottom