Update on Darn Tough Socks

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I can't seem to find my post, but I recently mentioned that my $24 DarnTough.com socks come with lifetime warranty, but that shipping them back for replacement costs $4.50 in shipping. The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes.

I since learned that I can exchange them for free at a local retailer.

I can't seem to find my post, but I recently mentioned that my $24 DarnTough.com socks come with lifetime warranty, but that shipping them back for replacement costs $4.50 in shipping. The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes.

Wow, good for you that you found a local retailer! Good deal!

Anyone have any experience with Jox Sox? Got a promo email from them for low cut golf socks, 3 pair for $22. They also offer a lifetime warranty, replacement or money back. Not sure about returning to a local retailer, seems like you have to ship the old ones back.

You folks are brave to spend that much on socks.

I buy mine on sale, getting 80-90% cotton ones, and pay about $1 each. I open the pack of 12 and dump them in my sock drawer and that is all I wear, over about a year most are worn out.
So DW makes me throw them out and repeat.

....The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes. ...

Please elaborate about "wearing one pair daily with no shoes".... so you walk around in just socks all day? Just an educated guess that the manufacturer's guarantee is premised on their customers wearing socks with shoes! :confused:

BTW, they are made in Northfield, VT, USA.

You folks are brave to spend that much on socks.

I buy mine on sale, getting 80-90% cotton ones, and pay about $1 each. I open the pack of 12 and dump them in my sock drawer and that is all I wear, over about a year most are worn out.
So DW makes me throw them out and repeat.

THROW THEM OUT:confused: What are you, made of m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ dryer sheets? :LOL:

Seriously, I do keep "retired" but bleached CLEAN white cotton items in a rag bag, which came in VERY handy when I discovered that our freezer had accreted a solid block of ice behind the door shelves. They also come in handy when wiping up anything really greasy, as I can just throw them out when I'm done.

Last edited:
Please elaborate about "wearing one pair daily with no shoes".... so you walk around in just socks all day? Just an educated guess that the manufacturer's guarantee is premised on their customers wearing socks with shoes! :confused:

Thats exactly what I do.

Given that I walk on concrete part of the day, I cannot get 2 years out of a pair of Darn Tough socks.
I don’t try to use the warranty as I don’t care. They are good socks.

I buy and fold socks. I thought that was what everyone did. AND I do not get them through a sock broker or any kind of fancy foot-ware planner. Heaven forbid you get caught up in some kind of an annuity.

I lived in Vermont for 8 years. I used to love going to Cabot's annual sale where they had all sorts of excess inventory, factory seconds, etc. at really low prices. I still have a few pairs of Army green Darn Tough winter socks that were made under a Govt contract. Not sure why they were on sale at the annual sale. They're at least 10 years old and still going strong.

can get another 5 years use as garage rag!

Me, too. They used to sell cushion soled athletic socks in black, but now just sell the white ones. I'm still in mourning. I buy their thinner socks, but they are not as comfortable.

I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us.

I knew a guy that would buy a paint gun on Friday and then return it for a refund when he finished painting on Sunday. He would tell home depot it would not work.

Me, too. They used to sell cushion soled athletic socks in black, but now just sell the white ones. I'm still in mourning. I buy their thinner socks, but they are not as comfortable.

Yes, I miss the black ones also. They even had them in a larger size for people like me with clown feet. I have used their outdoor socks but I find they wear out very fast and I end up walking on the net that supports the rest of the fiber in the sock

I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us.

My thoughts also. I remember when I could buy a product from REI and if it failed in an unreasonably short amount of time I could return it for a refund or replacement. Period. I rarely returned things but it was nice to know I could. Now I have only one year thanks to the return artists. Not so good.

Last edited:
I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us. ....

+1 It's like buying something, abusing it by using it in a manner not at all intended, and then returning it for a replacement when it "wears" out.

Heck, I even had some velcro closure LLBean boots that I got replaced after a few years of use because the velcro wore out and when the same thing happened again a few years later I didn't feel right to ask for a free replacement, thinking that I had gotton my money's worth from them by using them for 6 years.

I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out.

I can understand your point of view. Here's mine:

I bought these socks for $24/pair instead of Costco socks for $3/pair thinking they would last, if not my lifetime, then for a very long time. No, I didn't think they were magic, but I was convinced by the sales pitch.

"Lifetime guarantee" implies something that will last a lifetime. That's their selling point and why I bought them. That's how they compete. The guarantee didn't say that they really wouldn't last a long time with rough use, but would be replaced.

I spent $168 on the socks, and I find that they last me only two years. I'm not going to just throw them away.

I suspect they probably would, if worn in shoes like I'm sure they expect you to do. What you're doing is totally unreasonable IMO.

Agreed. Socks are meant to be worn with shoes or slippers. You can't expect a "lifetime" from daily use that is outside the norm. I sometimes walk around the house in just socks, but I expect that to add wear, I limit it.

I bought these socks for $24/pair instead of Costco socks for $3/pair...

I spent $168 on the socks, and I find that they last me only two years. I'm not going to just throw them away.

So that's 7 pairs? And "wearing one pair daily " - does that mean that after 2 years, you have another 6 pair that are new? You have another 12 years before you've utilized your $168, that's $12/year for socks. I'd expect Costco socks to last only a few months if worn daily w/o shoes, so you're no worse off.

Call it a failed experiment and move on. Maybe buy some nice leather slippers with a lifetime guarantee? But then don't use them to run marathons or as water shoes! :facepalm:

Here you go:

-ERD50

Last edited:
Kind of with Al on this. I wear my socks around the house all the time. I never wear slippers or shoes indoors. And yes, on dry days, I may even wonder a very little bit outside on the concrete in socks. Doing that, my Costco socks last a pretty long time. Never tracked it, but certainly more than a year and I’m guessing around two years. So, if I spent a lot more money on a pair of socks that were marketed as tough and given a lifetime warranty, I’d expect to turn them in and get a new pair at least once and probably twice. Especially if they only lasted a couple years, the same as my ordinary socks last.

Sorry, but I don’t put on shoes or slippers so that my socks wear longer.

Back
Top Bottom