I heard some bad news today....

Was it the bridge?

I’m going with the bridge. It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day.

Just pass the biscuits, please.

A few years back, I became obsessed with that song (surprised I didn't make the connection today!). Ran down a bunch of versions of it on youtube, read up the history. I found the hand written drafts of the song (much better after some editing). Looked up the places mentioned on Google maps.

I lived on a farm when that song came out, and though we were up North here in IL, that line about 'chopping cotton' didn't sound right to me. Would cotton be ready for 'chopping' by the 3rd of June, even in the warm South? I figured it was some LA or New York song writer.

But my recent research showed that 'chopping cotton' meant weeding it, chopping at the weeds, not chopping down the cotton for harvest. OK, that makes more sense.

I think that song is treasure, it runs the line of giving you enough information to paint a picture, but not too much, so you fill in details, and your picture can be different from some one else's, and there is no right/wrong.

The song takes place very near the sight of the tragic death of Emmett Till.

Bobby Gentry said the song really wasn't about what they threw of the bridge, it was about how the family did (and didn't) interact over the news.

Anyhow, here is my favorite version, it's a little more talked out with expression than sing-song-y, and surprisingly performed on the Andy Williams show!

I like the expression, the dragging/talking out of lines like "never had a lick of sense", and "it's a shame... about Billie Joe... anyhow", "when he...and Tom.... and Billie Joe, put a frog down my back" "you know it don't seem right"...

And Ms Gentry sure was a looker!

-ERD50

A few years back, I became obsessed with that song (surprised I didn't make the connection today!). Ran down a bunch of versions of it on youtube, read up the history. I found the hand written drafts of the song (much better after some editing). Looked up the places mentioned on Google maps.

I lived on a farm when that song came out, and though we were up North here in IL, that line about 'chopping cotton' didn't sound right to me. Would cotton be ready for 'chopping' by the 3rd of June, even in the warm South? I figured it was some LA or New York song writer.

But my recent research showed that 'chopping cotton' meant weeding it, chopping at the weeds, not chopping down the cotton for harvest. OK, that makes more sense.

I think that song is treasure, it runs the line of giving you enough information to paint a picture, but not too much, so you fill in details, and your picture can be different from some one else's, and there is no right/wrong.

The song takes place very near the sight of the tragic death of Emmett Till.

Bobby Gentry said the song really wasn't about what they threw of the bridge, it was about how the family did (and didn't) interact over the news.

Anyhow, here is my favorite version, it's a little more talked out with expression than sing-song-y, and surprisingly performed on the Andy Williams show!

I like the expression, the dragging/talking out of lines like "never had a lick of sense", and "it's a shame... about Billie Joe... anyhow", "when he...and Tom.... and Billie Joe, put a frog down my back" "you know it don't seem right"...

And Ms Gentry sure was a looker!

-ERD50

That song had such a strong impact on many of us. It seemed so realistic. People think their death will affect those left behind, and will create such drama, when in reality often all it elicits is "pass the biscuits please". Also life is not easy and yet it goes on after we are gone; the song gets that across with quite an impact too.

When I was living in Mississippi (1975-1976), we drove by the Tallihatchie bridge because of that song. Probably the wrong one since we didn't do much research on it.

“As he passed around the blackeyed peas”. Come to think of it - I don’t think that I’ve ever had blackeyed peas. I need to find some.

All the production and takes for the original recording were for the accompanying strings. The guitar and vocals were from Bobbie Gentry's original demo tape.

Come to think of it - I don’t think that I’ve ever had blackeyed peas. I need to find some.

WHAT? :confused:

Maybe it's a southern thing, but everyone around here (well the natives anyway) eat black-eyed peas each New Years day. (For good luck)

Maybe it's a southern thing, but everyone around here (well the natives anyway) eat black-eyed peas each New Years day. (For good luck)
It's regional. My sister lives in PA, pork and sauerkraut is what's for new year dinner.

“As he passed around the blackeyed peas”. Come to think of it - I don’t think that I’ve ever had blackeyed peas. I need to find some.

:eek: When I was about 5 my grandfather took me to the local family run grocery store in his small town. He said I could pick out anything I wanted thinking I would go for the jars of penny candy. I went for the black-eyed peas. :D You're missing out if you never had black-eyed peas cooked with a smoked pig knuckle. It's so good if you were to dab a little on your forehead your tongue will beat your brains out trying to lick it off.

Cheers!

I never liked peas as a kid. My mom would hide a black eyed pea in my mashed potatoes every New Years Day meal, just so I’d have luck on my side. Truly, moms are the best.

omg lol OP, Ode to Billy Joe was a favorite when I was young and mom played old country all day long while in his bedroom my brother played The Doors and in my room I liked a mix but I loved that song. It's a wonder we could hear ourselves think in our house :).

Thanks for the memory

Last edited:

:eek: When I was about 5 my grandfather took me to the local family run grocery store in his small town. He said I could pick out anything I wanted thinking I would go for the jars of penny candy. I went for the black-eyed peas. :D You're missing out if you never had black-eyed peas cooked with a smoked pig knuckle. It's so good if you were to dab a little on your forehead your tongue will beat your brains out trying to lick it off.

Cheers!

I got to get out more- or at least to the south. Black eyed peas sound delicious. Thought I would google them to see what they look like. It took a while for me to find pics of black eyed peas online. (Lots of articles though on why Fergy left the band).

I got to get out more- or at least to the south. Black eyed peas sound delicious. Thought I would google them to see what they look like. It took a while for me to find pics of black eyed peas online. (Lots of articles though on why Fergy left the band).

LOL yep, the rapper group called The Black Eyed Peas.

Well this is NOT the best time of year to be visiting. The heat index was over 100 today in south Alabama. Give me a call in the fall and we'll watch some college football and I'll make you some blackeyed peas. [emoji3]

Well this is NOT the best time of year to be visiting. The heat index was over 100 today in south Alabama. Give me a call in the fall and we'll watch some college football and I'll make you some blackeyed peas. [emoji3]

Sounds like it is a little warm down there. Thanks for football/ black eyed peas offer!

I had DW check the local grocery store - no black eyed peas. But she waitressed at a local restaurant in the 70’s where customers brought their own on New Years Eve.

Last edited:
Gasp- the horror! Next you'll be saying you don't like grits! (Actually I understand Yankees not liking grits) be careful where you say that- you might get deported back above the Mason-Dixon line...

Gasp- the horror! Next you'll be saying you don't like grits! (Actually I understand Yankees not liking grits) be careful where you say that- you might get deported back above the Mason-Dixon line...

OK, I'll say it here....I don't like grits either.

My DW (St. Louis native), who I met and married while in Texas, likes both black eyed peas and grits. But she has lived here since the 1970's, so she is almost a native Texan. Me, not so much.:blush:

Take it from a Yankee living in the south....they taste like dirt.;)
I have to admit, poorly cooked blackeyed peas DO taste like dirt. I avoid them at certain restaurants. My grandmother made wonderful peas- I make pretty good ones too. The secret is bacon of course...

Back
Top Bottom