Money card scams targeting elderly

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just read a nice story, for a change, where a local pharmacy suspected their elderly customer was being scammed when she wanted to buy a second Google Play gift card. Manager called the police and the woman was saved from further rip-off.
My DD's mother-in-law (at that time she was already in beginning of dementia) fell victim to one of these, losing $4000. My son in law asked the police to investigate the pharmacy itself, but they didn't do so.
My local pharmacy has a posted sign for customers warning about gift card phone scams, but I don't know if the employees are trained to ask questions when someone orders expensive gift cards. I generally don't like over-legislation, but I wonder if some legal responsibility should be imposed on these retail stores. Maybe a simple requirement that the customer be asked one or two standard questions about the purchase?
https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/f...ues-83-year-old-glen-rock-scam-victim/769397/

If drugstores are going to be liable for selling gift cards to the elderly
I would like the USPS to be responsible for all the alarmist "they are going to take your SS away! send us $ to lobby for you" mail sent to 84 year olds.
Or outright lies such as "Medicare is going to come for your estate to repay your medical bills".
My dad gets 2 inches of this crap in the mail a DAY... and he responds to all of it.

Now the above statements are just over dramatic. I do not want entities filtering my communications. However, the precedent is there with email spam filters... yet Verizon claims they have no idea how to address robo-calls from spoofed phone numbers.

Back
Top Bottom