Five Years FIRE'd, Feeling Fine

pjm-7

Recycles dryer sheets
Hard to believe that it has been five years in this beautiful mode called retirement. When I left w*rk at age 56 everyone asked "how did you do it?" When I told them, LBYM, save at least a third of your income, budget, set priorities, all of the things that we know. The response was "ick"!

The time has gone by rather quickly. I spend more time at the animal shelter. I have diversified from just cats to include dogs. I have been taking classes through OLLI (if they have a program in your area check it out). Most of the classes that I take are in history and arts. These are the kind of courses that I didn't have the time or money to take in college because I needed to get the degree and start earning real wages.

It's wonderful to have the freedom to control my time. Yes, I still keep a calendar, but it's for things I want to do, not to schedule another meeting for inane company goals.

I have found that expenses generally come in under budget. I am learning how to loosen the reins on the wallet. I can spend more on travel, such as better accommodations or meals. It's very ingrained to look for the best price for things, but I'm not going to agonize over every purchase.

The thing I'm contemplating is moving. I don't have to move, but I'm thinking about a milder climate. I can deal with snow, I just don't like shoveling it all winter. Also, a smaller, less expensive city would be nice. I have a general area selected that meets my criteria, but I cannot make a conclusive decision. I've moved plenty of times in the past for school or a job. I'm pretty good about making decisions, but this one is so very different.

Otherwise, all is good.:greetings10:

Congrats! Nice post as well.

I'm rounding the corner on Year 2 (retired at 60). "Bliss" tends to fully describe most of my retirement days. My w0rk colleagues questioned my sanity when my plans became known (I question theirs).

That is great and the time goes by fast. It has been 3 years for me and it seems like just yesterday was my last day. I haven't missed the people or the work I enjoyed so much while I was working.

2 years for me by the end of July. Best time of my life so far and never miss working.
Lots of opinions on places to live by forum members if you want some further thoughts.

Congratulations!

I punched my ticket at 51. Honestly, 2 years later I am still trying to find my way. I was working 60+ hours at mega corp. Between that and raising 2 kids I didnt develop much in the way of hobbies. Still very happy with my decision though! I will find my way!

Congrats - always great to hear a FIRE success story.

My 5 year anniversary was late 2018. It's been a blast all-round (although my expenses have been higher than expected for which I blame my daughters) - 5 of the best years of my life. Like you I seen time on classes (hoping to graduate with a PhD in October if I can push the paper work through the university beauracracy in time) and with cats (foster parent for kittens at the local SPCA).

If your budget permits, money spent on experiences is well worth it - travel in particular.

The time has gone by rather quickly. I spend more time at the animal shelter. I have diversified from just cats to include dogs. I have been taking classes through OLLI (if they have a program in your area check it out). Most of the classes that I take are in history and arts. These are the kind of courses that I didn't have the time or money to take in college because I needed to get the degree and start earning real wages.

Nice write up! Good do hear you are faring well.

The liberal arts are just amazing for retirees! Spent my life in tech, but was interested in a wide range of things. Studies Christian history and theology through free online courses. I'm reading stacks of related books from the library.

I have found that expenses generally come in under budget. I am learning how to loosen the reins on the wallet. I can spend more on travel, such as better accommodations or meals. It's very ingrained to look for the best price for things, but I'm not going to agonize over every purchase.

We're been retired for over 4 years. The first 2 years, we spent well under budget due to nerves and tepid market performance in 2015 and most of 2016. The 2017 market surge was a good excuse to start traveling more extensively. We realized that we wanted to enjoy our money when we are still healthy. Overall, I think it has taken almost 3 years to emotionally settle in retirement. The w*rk nightmares have largely abated too.

The thing I'm contemplating is moving. I don't have to move, but I'm thinking about a milder climate. I can deal with snow, I just don't like shoveling it all winter. Also, a smaller, less expensive city would be nice. I have a general area selected that meets my criteria, but I cannot make a conclusive decision. I've moved plenty of times in the past for school or a job. I'm pretty good about making decisions, but this one is so very different.

I hear you! Winter didn't bother me much when w*rking. My drive was short and I was always indoors w*rking. Now, in retirement, I "resent" the cold weather and gloom that keeps me imprisoned indoors, without the paycheck for my trouble. We've decided to enlarge our vacation budget and devote most of it to snow birding escapes.

It's wonderful to have the freedom to control my time. Yes, I still keep a calendar, but it's for things I want to do, not to schedule another meeting for inane company goals.

+1

Eight years in and absolutely no regrets.

Downsized. Thought of buying a snowbird home/condo but changed those plans into traveling during the winter to places on our bucket list. So far so good.

Changed our lifestyle for the better. I expect that we will have another change at some point if and when our health and mobility change. Until then it is go do what we want, when we want, where we want.

Back
Top Bottom