F.I.R.E Movement

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Never thought of FIRE as part of a movement. But apparently, so :popcorn:.

From the morning news:

There's a fast-growing trend among frugal young Americans: saving aggressively to retire early.
The "Financial Independence, Retire Early," or F.I.R.E., movement encourages people to live a thrifty life and save a high portion of their income in order to take control of their financial independence in the future.
Kiersten Saunders, 34, and her husband Julien, 39, have embraced the movement.
"I would say the genesis for me is really an act of social and cultural rebellion," Julien said. "We are in an environment where consumer culture is really extreme, where work culture is really extreme, and I would have these conversations with friends and family members who didn't enjoy their jobs but kept doing it because they had to. And they still didn't have any savings, and the cycle just repeated [itself] to where they were essentially living their lives in debt

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/financ...lennials-new-plan-for-retiring-decades-early/

I don't think they're looking at retirement the way most of us are.

I think the other misconception about F.I.R.E. is that you have to retire, and that retiring means that you're not doing anything," Kiersten said. "Unfortunately, the language around work hasn't evolved as much as it has in other areas of society. And so retirement for us is meaningful work: Work that we control, work that we can predict and that we have some input into, versus it being cascaded to us from a boss or a boss's boss."

There's a word for the job part other than retirement - downshifting, "to leave a job that is well paid and difficult in order to do something that gives you more time and satisfaction but less money."

Otherwise, I agree with their sentiments about dropping out of the consumer culture. We find it to be a real money saver.

There's a word for the job part other than retirement - downshifting, "to leave a job that is well paid and difficult in order to do something that gives you more time and satisfaction but less money."

Otherwise, I agree with their sentiments about dropping out of the consumer culture. We find it to be a real money saver.

Gearginding - leaving a job for another job thinking it will be different, only to find out it is as much of a PITA as the one you left.

Gearginding - leaving a job for another job thinking it will be different, only to find out it is as much of a PITA as the one you left.

That is certainly something to consider. But if they really reach financial independence, they could try different second careers until they find a good fit.

"...You keep saying that word. I don't think that word means what you think it means..." (Inigo Montoya; Princess Bride)

I've been on the path to FIRE since 1999, and to me, it was never a movement, but a goal. And certainly not as a frugal FIRE.

I had no idea what FIRE was until after I retired.

As far as movements go, I like at least 1 a day.

+1
No paid work again for me.

+2
I'm doing a traditional retirement, ie have fun/do nothing all day, but at a non-traditional, earlier age of 45. I always admired the fun and relaxed pace traditional retirees seemed to enjoy, but I dreaded all the health issues that even money couldn't entirely vanquish. So I figured the best bet was to retire ASAP. So far, so good, 4 years + in.

I had no idea what FIRE was until after I retired.

As far as movements go, I like at least 1 a day.

Yep, I had no idea it was as movement or that others were talking about it. I guy at w*rk bailed out at 57, with help from ACA. That got me seriouly thinking, and I left about a year later. If I knew FIRE was all the rage, maybe I would have pushed harder and escaped 5 years earlier still!

I never heard of the acronym FIRE until stumbling on this board.

Didn't know there were so many variations of the similar objective. The way I see, there are many roads to the same destination.

I don't think they're looking at retirement the way most of us are.

Yep. Those folks are really talking about "career change" rather than FIRE as it's typically discussed here.

+1
No paid work again for me.

+2 (+3?) same here.....I remember completing my 2009 tax returns, my first ones with zero wage income. That was nice, really nice, just like writing, "Retired" for my occupation.

On a similar line, I get a little chuckle when I hear on the news about someone moaning about the dropping labor force participation rate, especially among males aged 21-65 (or something similar). I raise my hand and say, "Me me me me," because of my early retirement! How come I never see any news stories connecting these two dots - IRE n the dropping LFPR?

Back
Top Bottom