Earned a name change - RE complete

WhenIsItTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Posted previously 47yo, FI, debating RE from mega-corp. Very hard to walk away from work family that's slogged through some huge successes and nice pay package that's still meaningful to net worth. However, stuck to my plan to decide at some point time > more money. Announcement is complete. Really looking forward to flipping #1 priority from mega-corp to family and self. Kids 9 and 11 years old so can seize few more years of quality time before they get independent.

Decision and announcement was very surreal/emotional process. Gave couple months notice, but most consumed during confidential phase by boss ignoring situation and then preparing transition plan. I ended up voluntarily extending notice period :mad: so public notice wasn't compromised completely. At this point, happy its short as very emotional and unproductive. Hard to deal over and over again with "why" and "how" at 47 this is happening. :facepalm: Of course, true answer is worked hard, spent less than earned, and very blessed, but not everybody gets that. Lot's of consistent feedback: surprised, sad to see me go, happy for you.

Big thanks to this forum of like minded folks who were part of my inspiration.

I have a couple more weeks of work. Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.:dance:

Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.:dance:

Congratulations!

Funny thing about Saturdays- I don't really look forward to them! I look forward to the weekdays when there are fewer people in the stores or out and about.

Mazel tov! Fantastic work making this happen - two weeks will fly by in a flash

Congrats! My recommendation to anyone here, is don't give more than a month's notice, and usually, not more than 2 weeks. My office started wanting to notify clients and start a transition plan, even though my earliest planned date was to be 6 months later. Lesson learned. Hopefully, won't ever get the chance to use the lesson again!

I have a couple more weeks of work. Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.

Congrats and good luck!!
FWIW, Like a lot of early retirees, I think the 'every day feels like Saturday' implies a remnant of your (soon to be) old work self.

After a while though, "Saturday" will no longer mean a 'non-working day'; it will mean 'that's when the mall/streets/beach/club/lake is packed with people mid-day'.

For me, when 'every day feels like just another day' is when you are fully, truly retired and free of your old work context. It might take a year or two but that's when I knew I was completely free of my old self and fully retired.

YMMV

Congrats! My recommendation to anyone here, is don't give more than a month's notice, and usually, not more than 2 weeks.

In my old place, "Two weeks notice?! Two hours should be enough time to clean out your desk" was a common response.

Great! You have done well getting out of the game as young as you are.

Congratulations!

Funny thing about Saturdays- I don't really look forward to them! I look forward to the weekdays when there are fewer people in the stores or out and about.

+1 plus usually cook Sat night as it is the only night with large restaurant waits.

In my old place, "Two weeks notice?! Two hours should be enough time to clean out your desk" was a common response.

I understand different roles (especially sales folks) may be treated differently than IT or business folks. The only time I’ve seen this done was when a problem-child employee gave notice (I recall it happening twice in my 27 years). In both cases (at different companies) the employee was paid for the 2 weeks. I think I’d dance all the way out the door if they handed me a box after giving notice!

Edit: the real question, for the OP: what’s your new username going to be? ;) Congrats!

Last edited:
Congrats! It must be exciting to be that close to retiring. I do wonder how I would stay motivated at the office if I was that close to leaving.

Congrats!

And I agree very few people need to provide more than 2-4 weeks notice despite what they want to believe. I gave more just as a courtesy to my boss and asked him to keep it to himself, but he went public immediately, which was bad for all concerned.

Congratulations!

Great point! I have so much to learn!

Congrats! It must be exciting to be that close to retiring. I do wonder how I would stay motivated at the office if I was that close to leaving.

Yes - this is one of the really weird feeling to experience. 20+ years at full-tilt. I announce this to team and closest co-workers and I'm immediately ready just to disconnect. Couldn't imagine a long transition.

Great!

Yep. Once gave 2 week notice and was fired on the spot. I complained to HR and boss had his hand slapped. He then stuck me in a windowless room, dropped about 30 fat files on my desk and told me "OK smarta__, you will spend 8 hours a day reviewing these files, with only lunch and two 15 minute breaks. It will be like this each day for your two weeks." I promptly resigned. Lesson learned.....

Posted previously 47yo, FI, debating RE from mega-corp. Very hard to walk away from work family that's slogged through some huge successes and nice pay package that's still meaningful to net worth. However, stuck to my plan to decide at some point time > more money. Announcement is complete. Really looking forward to flipping #1 priority from mega-corp to family and self. Kids 9 and 11 years old so can seize few more years of quality time before they get independent.

Decision and announcement was very surreal/emotional process. Gave couple months notice, but most consumed during confidential phase by boss ignoring situation and then preparing transition plan. I ended up voluntarily extending notice period :mad: so public notice wasn't compromised completely. At this point, happy its short as very emotional and unproductive. Hard to deal over and over again with "why" and "how" at 47 this is happening. :facepalm: Of course, true answer is worked hard, spent less than earned, and very blessed, but not everybody gets that. Lot's of consistent feedback: surprised, sad to see me go, happy for you.

Big thanks to this forum of like minded folks who were part of my inspiration.

I have a couple more weeks of work. Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.:dance:

I retired 2 years ago at 47 with a 7 and 10 year old. Like you, I did well at megacorp, gave nearly 6 months notice and walked away from significant golden handcuffs. However, I had planned and prepped for many years. It was the best decision ever! I am so glad I have been able to spend this time with my kids before they get too independent. I have also been able to help my parents out more as they age. My golf game is coming back, my guitar playing is way better and I am finally making progress on my 69 camaro. Best wishes to you and your family, congrats!

Congrats - enjoy the kids when you are able ! We never regretted the decision for DW to stay home full time (almost) to care for our two Tax Deductions until they both became high schoolers (coincidentally, the same time the Outsource Reaper came knocking on my door).

Take more videos and pics, do more stuff together as a family (vacations, family visits/get togethers, BBQs, eating out, whatever). Father Time waits for nothing.

Yep. Once gave 2 week notice and was fired on the spot. I complained to HR and boss had his hand slapped. He then stuck me in a windowless room, dropped about 30 fat files on my desk and told me "OK smarta__, you will spend 8 hours a day reviewing these files, with only lunch and two 15 minute breaks. It will be like this each day for your two weeks." I promptly resigned. Lesson learned.....
Are you kidding? Isn't this a form of harrassment? This must have happened years ago? I cannot see this happening today :confused:

Are you kidding? Isn't this a form of harrassment? This must have happened years ago? I cannot see this happening today :confused:

Eh, I can, especially in smaller companies. Either way, my guidance is you never give your notice unless you are ready and prepared to be told "that's ok, you can leave right now."

Good for you - you're going to love it! It did take a while for me to wind down, and I also don't really enjoy Saturdays like I used to. I dread getting out when everyone else is, and avoid it at all costs.

There's something very satisfying about going to a movie on a Tuesday afternoon, or wondering through an uncrowded outdoor shopping area and lunching on a pleasant day.

You'll get the hang of it!

SumDay,
We just went to the movies on Thursday, no crowds. Our theater had a handful of people to see the movie, loving it. With those recliner chairs I have to fight falling a sleep,lol.
To the OP, great job getting to this point in life. I gave 2 weeks notice of retirement and it was two weeks to long. Spent most of my time doing exit interviews, retirement setup and checkout stuff.

May your good fortunes continue into the future.

PS
Maybe I should change my name as I no longer workmyfingerstothebone.

I have 2 days to go (next Weds and Thurs) and it feels pretty weird. A strange combo of delighted and scared! My kids and granddaughter are coming for the Fourth, so I can put off panic for a bit!

Seriously, it’s going to be great. Congratulations to you!

Back
Top Bottom