Small Town News

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I love reading small town newspapers and church bulletins. Reading any of these wonderful publications makes me feel like I have gone back in time.

Here is my current favorite that appeared in a South Texas publication recently:

"Fill Dirt is available at the cemetery provided you can load it and haul it away yourself. Please contact Carolyn, Cemetery Secretary." Nuf said.

Do you have a favorite?

My local paper once a week list the police activity for the local towns, probably a bit tamer than one would see in the Chicago/New York papers.

2:06 p.m. Information. A man with black hair was walking on roads. The caller was concerned for his safety.
10:21 a.m. Animal Found. A cow was reported on the roadway east of the traffic circle.
6:28 p.m. Animal Problem. Officers were asked to remove dead javelina on a sidewalk near the start of the parade route.

7:45 p.m. Suspicious Circumstances. A white Ford Focus was reported parked near an air pump at a gas station for “a while.” The vehicle was disabled.
2:32 p.m. Parking Violation. A caller said that someone was parked in her private parking spot. 2:55 p.m. The vehicle had been moved.

I love reading small town newspapers and church bulletins. Reading any of these wonderful publications makes me feel like I have gone back in time.

Here is my current favorite that appeared in a South Texas publication recently:

"Fill Dirt is available at the cemetery provided you can load it and haul it away yourself. Please contact Carolyn, Cemetery Secretary." Nuf said.

Do you have a favorite?

Descriptions sometimes with pictures of Tractor Pulls in North Missouri and Iowa. Grin - on the er ? sports page.

heh heh heh - on the way to The Farm there is a place to get 'free' fill dirt provided you call ahead. :cool:

Small town America is pure and simple, there is nothing better. Lol

There is a wealthy town nearby that has a lot of police officers. The police blotter is local legend. Here are a few entries:

10/4/18 4:37 p.m. A large Husky dog was reportedly circling a woman's chickens on Westview Court. The dog also tried to bite the woman, she told police, before it headed home. Officers contacted the pooch's owner and warned him about allowing the dog to run wild.

10/4/18 9:50 p.m. An anonymous caller returned home to find a neighbor wandering around outside in his boxers with his, uh, parts hanging out. The man wasn't touching said parts, the caller reported; he was just walking around, looking like he might be on drugs. And what's more, the caller said, the man often walks around naked inside his abode too. Responding officers contacted the man, who told them he had just returned from a run and was walking around the parking lot to cool down.

10/15/18 12:24 p.m. Marijuana and alcohol was taken from a home by someone who may have used a key hidden near the front door. The home's owner told police she believes her grandson may be involved.

10/5/18 7:34 a.m. File this one under 'You Just Can't Win': When construction crews start too early in the morning, they usually generate noise complaints to the LOPD. So when a team from Indigo Construction arrived on the job about 45 minutes early, they planned to sit in their truck on North Shore Road and wait until 8 a.m. to start work. Problem solved, right? Nope. A neighbor still called police, saying a "suspicious vehicle" was parked on the narrow road and making it difficult for school buses to get by.

10/5/18 8:01 p.m. In what appears to be an ongoing problem for a frustrated resident on Mapleleaf Road, six young hooligans knocked on her front door twice within 15 minutes and then ran off. They were last seen heading toward Fernwood Drive.

10/5/18 11:51 p.m. An elderly woman called to report that the lights in her apartment weren't working and she didn't know what to do. She tried to call the manager, she said, but got no answer. Responding officers provided assistance.

10/6/18 4:45 p.m. A pet owner told police that her small dog was almost run over at Second Street and A Avenue by a fast-moving skateboarder with a tattoo on his neck and his black hair tied up like a sumo wrestler. Neither man nor beast suffered any injuries.

Facebook post on our community page:

"In search of someone to remove dead animals

Need someone to come remove a dead animal that was hit on the road and made it into our parking lot."

I need to know what kind of dead animal it is but I don't want to be disrespectful to the poster or the animal. [emoji111]

I need to know what kind of dead animal it is but I don't want to be disrespectful to the poster or the animal. [emoji111]

Yes, whoever might respond to the ad will want to know - are we talking about a chipmunk or a moose here?

IOW, do I need a plastic bag or a 1-ton truck?

Love 'em! One local paper must have had a slow news day quite a few years back. Obviously they needed one more headline to fill the front page. So they just went with the top entry in the police log:

"Woman reports finding shoes on front lawn."

And... That was it. No more detail.

The thing about local papers is most people actually read them. Cover to cover. Even the ads are for local products and services we might care about. What's not to love?

About 15 years ago I drove from Indianapolis to Cincinnati for work listening to the radio. At one point well outside any city I found a local station that played bluegrass music for a while and then an announcer came on and started talking. It dawned on me that he was reading the obituaries out of the little local paper.

My mother’s hometown (population about 1500) paper was a weekly and would list who visited whom from out of town. I loved reading those, and got a kick of the “articles” as someone had to call the paper to say who was visiting.

I used to travel by car extensively in the South and Mid Atlantic for work. Get up in East Tennessee and SW VA, and you get bluegrass on public radio all day. Go down in middle Mississippi and parts of Alabama and Georgia and you get The Blues. Many places throughout the south you get Swap Shop on the radio. Get around Middle Tennessee and Central KY and you listen to AM-650 WSM Radio playing 50's and 60's hard core country music. Around Atlanta, it's AM-750 WSB Radio with Clark Howard, Neal Boortz and traffic reports every 6 minutes.

They were all great to listen to for a traveling salesman/road warrior seeking a little of the local flavor of the communities.

There is a wealthy town nearby that has a lot of police officers. The police blotter is local legend. Here are a few entries:

10/4/18 4:37 p.m. A large Husky dog was reportedly circling a woman's chickens on Westview Court. The dog also tried to bite the woman, she told police, before it headed home. Officers contacted the pooch's owner and warned him about allowing the dog to run wild....

Loved the post! Takes me back to a simpler time of some of the small towns where I have lived.

Cheers!

When my family had a place on the Oregon coast and we were in middle and high school we would read the “local” paper. In the back there would be little blurbs about Betty Lou who took time to visit family in Iowa and all that. Pretty cute stuff. I also love reading the police blotters which gives you a pretty good feel of being a small town cop.

My favorite years ago was the local radio stations "swap shop". Some of the callers were hilarious. "Got a self push mower for sale". "Want to sell my Chevy Escalator". etc.

Ypsilanti, MI - Circa 1987-88 - small article entitled "What was He Smoking" - A 20 something male called Police to report his duffel bag, with approx. 2lbs of Marijuana inside, had been stolen. Upon questioning him they proceeded to the suspected thief's home and recovered the duffel bag and the weed. The plaintiff then identified the bag and contents as his and was promptly arrested.

Same time period - Greater Detroit Area - A man was arrested at a highway Rest Stop when a woman noticed a flash of light between her legs while using the old fashioned " two holer " Ladie's restroom. It seems they found a young man, in full rain gear ( Think: Gorton's Fisherman) , chest waders, and a military gas mask armed with an expensive 35mm flash equipped camera at the bottom of the toilet enjoying his new Hobby.

Not quite as "Home-Spun" or wholesome as the small town anecdotes...But entertaining, to say the least.

:)

Births, deaths
Marriages, divorces
Arrests, criminal/civil suits
Nursing home, hospital, church news
Local sports
Classified/commercial ads

Great bird cage liner...

My mother’s hometown (population about 1500) paper was a weekly and would list who visited whom from out of town. I loved reading those, and got a kick of the “articles” as someone had to call the paper to say who was visiting.
Yes this stuff is still printed in the weekly newspaper in the area I live. Small town life is great and all that has been mentioned about the small town press above is still true where I live.

Whenever we went to visit my grandmother, we always made the local paper.

Adjustments.jpg

I went to a tiny southern private college in a cow field. Our newspaper was adorable. One entry I loved. 3:32pm 2 airline tickets reported stolen. 3:52 pm airline tickets found. :) Rowdy campus life, eh?

About 15 years ago I drove from Indianapolis to Cincinnati for work listening to the radio. At one point well outside any city I found a local station that played bluegrass music for a while and then an announcer came on and started talking. It dawned on me that he was reading the obituaries out of the little local paper.

That reminds of a time I was driving through the empty quarter between Wisconsin Dells and Eau Claire, Wis. The only thing I could get on the radio was station WCOW (yes, for real).

Announcer: "And now it's time for the obituaries, brought to you by Smith & Jones Funeral Home of Sparta.

"There are no obituaries today.

"The obituaries have been brought to you by Smith & Jones Funeral Home of Sparta."

^ LOL! Here everyday you get the obits and birthdays for the people in the area on a small radio station. They also have a show each day you can call in and sell, buy or looking for items.

Back
Top Bottom