Terrible or just bad food that you accidentally eat

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The thread title is self-explanatory. I will go first.

I often snack on Jack Links and SlimJim sticks. Sometimes I would try some lesser known brands. And we usually keep them on the shelves in the utility room which is dark.

One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats! My wife bought them with the intention of giving them to my children's cats, which my daughter calls our "grandcats".

I did not die from this apparently. Did not taste horrible, but definitely not like any stick I have eaten. Will be more careful next time. :)

PS. I have also eaten some exotic jerky sticks made from unusual meat like salmon, trout, etc... Yes, they are meant for human consumption, but the taste is definitely different and I will not buy again.

I bit into one particular pumpkin seed recently that actually made me gag to the point of almost puking. I have a high tolerance for "tasty" things but this was over the top. I ate pumpkin seeds every day but now I'm afraid of them.

One day, I went in to grab a small stick, and it tasted funny. I took out the wrapping from the trash can and looked at the brand. It was intended for cats!

I have heard stories about retirees eating cat food but this is the first time I've actually known one!

I did not like the taste, else would ask my wife where she got it, and how much it cost. :)

It would be interesting to do A/B test of this stick and Slim Jim with cats to see which one they prefer.

Anything with jalapenos in it (I love Cajun spices and tabasco and so on, but I absolutely detest jalapenos!).

I don't order things at restaurants that are supposed to have jalapenos in them, or heaven forbid habaneros, but sometimes I get fooled. Then after drinking several glasses of water, wiping my eyes, and trying to catch my breath, I ask the waitress and she says, "oh yes! Our chef decided to try something different this time, so he added jalapenos". :sick:

And would you believe I lived in San Diego for 7 years? :ROFLMAO: Never learned to like jalapenos though. My late ex used to eat them like candy.

As for packaged food items meant for animals, my suggestion is to ALWAYS read the label if it is easily available. I do. :angel:

Anything with jalapenos in it (I love Cajun spices and tabasco and so on, but I absolutely detest jalapenos!).

I don't order things at restaurants that are supposed to have jalapenos in them, or heaven forbid habaneros, but sometimes I get fooled. Then after drinking several glasses of water, wiping my eyes, and trying to catch my breath, I ask the waitress and she says, "oh yes! Our chef decided to try something different this time, so he added jalapenos". :sick:

And would you believe I lived in San Diego for 7 years? :ROFLMAO: Never learned to like jalapenos though.

As for packaged food items meant for animals, my suggestion is to ALWAYS read the label if it is easily available. I do. :angel:

W2R, you and I are direct opposites as I LOVE sliced jalapenos and put them on sandwiches and salads. :D

I was in South Africa and bought some ostrich biltoug(like jerky cut the wrong way). Tasted great for 3 seconds, then the taste of rancid ostrich fat permeated the spice. Clearly something that only tourists buy.

I have heard stories about retirees eating cat food but this is the first time I've actually known one!
Well, I did not do it deliberately. There were some crumbs on the cutting board that I thought were left from dinner. Unfortunately, it was dried cat food:(
After spitting it out and washing my mouth, it cured me from eating anything on the cutting board.

Today, at lunch, I drank a glass of unsweetened tea with lemon. It was good. I refilled the glass but I added an ounce or less of "sweet" tea. One sip was all it took. I poured the drink down the sink. Before I got back from the bathroom, someone else had filled a glass with "sweet" tea and took a huge swallow. Salt had been added to the tea instead of sugar. We told the manager and the rest of the tea was poured out.

Many Moons ago I was on a Cameroon Air flight from Douala, Cameroon to Kinshasa, Congo. A stewardess gave me a meal on the airplane. I was sitting next to two other woman and inquired as to what I was eating. They asked me in their broken dialect “Where are you from?” I said the USA. Their response was “your eating a local delicacy.” It was at that point that I knew that whatever it was - would be the first and last time I would ever eat it. I believe that it was Bush Meat or Giant Rat.

Last edited:
Well, I did not do it deliberately. There were some crumbs on the cutting board that I thought were left from dinner. Unfortunately, it was dried cat food:(
After spitting it out and washing my mouth, it cured me from eating anything on the cutting board.

Similar thing happened to me. Went camping with some friends and they brought their dog. There was a plastic container on the picnic table with corn-nuts. Or so I thought, until I tasted it and it was very hard dog food - not tasty and nearly broke a tooth!

What I debate is how old the food in the refrigerator is. Should I eat that 6 day old pizza slice for lunch? Should I throw out that strawberry that is partly moldy or cut off the moldy part?

In general I don't eat processed meats so no experiences there. Occasionally I do have a few slices on pepperoni on a pizza.

Have not had any case of food poisoning from our stuff so I must be doing something right.

While staying in Australia we were buying bread at a bakery and a lady next to me was having difficulty lifting up the cover on a tray of samples of croissant pastries rippled with chocolate. I lifted the cover for her and also snagged a piece for myself and almost gagged when I popped it into my mouth. The dark rippling was not chocolate, it was vegemite.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.

I was in South Africa and bought some ostrich biltoug(like jerky cut the wrong way). Tasted great for 3 seconds, then the taste of rancid ostrich fat permeated the spice. Clearly something that only tourists buy.

Lived on Wildebeest for a week in the Selous. No stomach side effects, but I did smell like a Warthog by week's end.

Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.

Ah come on! You have not seen or tasted some stuff I have seen on TV food shows.

While staying in Australia we were buying bread at a bakery and a lady next to me was having difficulty lifting up the cover on a tray of samples of croissant pastries rippled with chocolate. I lifted the cover for her and also snagged a piece for myself and almost gagged when I popped it into my mouth. The dark rippling was not chocolate, it was vegemite.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite.

Ah, a strange lady gave you a vegemite sandwich?

I did not try it when in Australia, but would. Probably will not like it, but I don't think it would gag me.

Last edited:
Jerusalem artichokes. Had them in the Atlanta airport. Discovered about 2 hours later while in flight that they lead to explosive flatulence. I apologize to the entire back half of the plane.

Not to knock the British and the Aussies, but they were responsible for these two disasters. :LOL:

And each group thinks that their muck is less foul than the other's. :LOL:

Vegemite and Marmite - two of the most disgusting concoctions known to mankind.

Not to knock the British and the Aussies, but they were responsible for these two disasters. :LOL:

We can add Canadians to that distinguished list, or at least Quebeckers, and their contribution to the above MDC. Poutine.

Why were cat food crumbs on the cutting board? Maybe it was an ingredient for dinner?

How did you like the breaded fried fish, or the crouton in the salad? :hide:

Back
Top Bottom