Andrew Luck just FIRE’d

Popeye

Full time employment: Posting here.
I guess he can live on his SWR. Bad timing for Colts fans!

INDIANAPOLIS -- In a shocking development Saturday night, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck announced his retirement from the NFL, saying constant injuries have taken away his love for the game.

Luck, who turns 30 on Sept. 12, had met with Colts owner Jim Irsay earlier to tell him of the decision

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27456682/luck-retires-calls-decision-hardest-my-life

Ahhhhh! Autocorrect ruined my title!

What do you want the thread title to be? One of us can fix that for you.

Luck's retirement from football at age 30 comes almost 20 years ago to the day that Lions' great Barry Sanders retired - also at age 30.

Sanders stated: “I'm just really not feeling like playing. It's just getting to that point. It's not the same game. Really, I've been battling for the last few years. As I've gotten older, the game has changed in my mind.”

Luck stated that his decision was based on chronic injury issues where Sanders's was a case of burnout.

Shame on those Colts' fans who booed Luck's decision to walk away from the game. I wonder how many of those same fans have been hit by a 300lb. defensive lineman?

Always liked Luck, thought he could have done more with a better supporting cast. Sad to see him hang it up a little early for a QB, wish him the best.

I disagree.... from everything that I have read, he retired and was not fired... it was his decision and not a decision made for him.
I think the OP means he "FIRE'd", not that he was fired.

Too bad that injuries shortened his playing career. When he was healthy, he was real exciting to watch.

Plus, points since he still uses a flip phone :).

I think the OP means he "FIRE'd", not that he was fired.

oh... ok. I read it as "Fired" just like it shows up on my laptop screen... silly me. Perhaps he should have put "FIREd".

Does the OP really expect us to be that interpretive when we have yet to finish our morning coffee?

I disagree.... from everything that I have read, he retired and was not fired... it was his decision and not a decision made for him.

Yeah. I totally mis read the corrected title. I thought it should read “Andrew Luck FIRE’d”.

Luck's retirement from football at age 30 comes almost 20 years ago to the day that Lions' great Barry Sanders retired - also at age 30.

Sanders stated: “I'm just really not feeling like playing. It's just getting to that point. It's not the same game. Really, I've been battling for the last few years. As I've gotten older, the game has changed in my mind.”

Luck stated that his decision was based on chronic injury issues where Sanders's was a case of burnout.

Shame on those Colts' fans who booed Luck's decision to walk away from the game. I wonder how many of those same fans have been hit by a 300lb. defensive lineman?

I’d cut them a little slack. At this point it is an emotional reaction. They are just two weeks from starting a new season. It would have been nice for him to decide about 6 months ago so that the team would have a chance to do something for quarterback.

Of course, this is the same franchise that packed up and left Baltimore in the middle of the night all those years ago. So maybe it is football karma for the owners.

I’d cut them a little slack. At this point it is an emotional reaction. They are just two weeks from starting a new season. It would have been nice for him to decide about 6 months ago so that the team would have a chance to do something for quarterback.

Of course, this is the same franchise that packed up and left Baltimore in the middle of the night all those years ago. So maybe it is football karma for the owners.

I think the Karma may be for letting Colts legend Manning go with his injuries to make room for Luck. Now Luck's gone due to injuries just before the season starts.

Starting quaterback in the NFL is not a job where you generally give 2 weeks notice. He should have let the team know he was retiring before training camp started. Otherwise he should honor his contract and play. OTOH, he is stuggling with injuries and should be set for life financially so why keep hurting yourself.

They are just two weeks from starting a new season. It would have been nice for him to decide about 6 months ago so that the team would have a chance to do something for quarterback.

He was probably thinking he would be pain free and ready to play by now.

Talk about leaving money on the table...

Besides the $12.8 million in bonus money, Luck might have also lost out on up to $500 million in future earnings, at least that's the estimate from Colts owner Jim Irsay.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...etirement-might-have-lost-out-on-500-million/

The Colts can ask for a prorated part of his signing bonus back. I’ve seen his career earnings reported as $97 million so he may be ok to cover that!

[/QUOTE ]

Just about everyone who retires early leaves money on the table!

Granted, not as much as he did but it sounds like he just had enough physical abuse.

Maybe he'll join us here!

Yeah. I totally mis read the corrected title. I thought it should read “Andrew Luck FIRE’d”.

Seemed like there was agreement to clarify the title. I changed it to read FIRE’d. Hope everyone is okay with it now.

Besides the $12.8 million in bonus money, Luck might have also lost out on up to $500 million in future earnings, at least that's the estimate from Colts owner Jim Irsay.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...etirement-might-have-lost-out-on-500-million/

It's all relative. I retired at 52 and left a lot on the table as many here. But working to 65 and banking a lot more dough would not change my life for the better(I'm 65 now). I'm happy and content with what I have......

I think the Karma may be for letting Colts legend Manning go with his injuries to make room for Luck. Now Luck's gone due to injuries just before the season starts.
A few boneheaded decisions by the organization. I can understand his decision but the timing stinks for the team. Of course if he was hurt for the season on the first series the team would be ok with that situation.

I remember reading "Instant Replay" back in the day. Seems like Kramer wrote about burnout.

My own retirement was very sudden, driven by my VPs ignorance. I saw some of my peers make quick decisions based upon the stupidity of others in leadership positions. Perhaps there's more to the story?

Much better...thank you.

I was impressed by Jacoby Brissett while he was in New England and hope he does well for the Colts.... except when they play the Patriots.

Last edited:
The guy has injuries and obviously wants to stay as healthy as possible so he can enjoy his life and the bounty that pro football provided him. His retirement makes sense to me. If he's bright he can find ways to increase his wealth without getting knocked to pieces.

His body took a beating because for his first few seasons the Colts failed to draft/sign good offensive linemen to protect him.
As for giving the team notice, he could have stayed on the active or injured reserve rosters and collected a big salary without playing. The team will be affected for the short term but will be better off for the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom