Thousands of Glass Cooktops Are Being Recalled

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On August 28, Whirlpool Corporation, the parent company that manufactures Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and JenAir appliances, announced a recall of more than 26,000 glass cooktops with touch controls. The reason for the recall is pretty unsettling—apparently, the cooktops can actually turn themselves on. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and JennAir brand cooktops are included in the recall.

Thousands of Glass Cooktops Are Being Recalled for the Scariest Reason | Allrecipes

omni

I've got an older KitchenAid. I had a burner that wouldn't turn off. It has a manual dial switch that I got replaced. The oven has also stayed on a couple of times and I had to switch it off at the breaker to reset it. Both are disturbing and dangerous.

Thanks--DS recently had a JennAir installed, so in full mom-mode I sent this on to him

We had a glass cook-top once. DW said never again. She does lots of cooking and also canning. The glass cook-tops are inferior for canning and difficult to clean she said. So I guess we lucked out here.

Just was staying a friend's place sitting on their kid while they did went to a concert and night out. They've a glass top range. She's a heck of a cook, but what a miserable thing the glass top is. Far happier with (and used to) our 1940's gas stove - $25 at a church sale. Sent this to the friend - his wife deserves a clean new range top, even if it's not gas.

The problem here are the controls. Any all electric appliance can be over-fitted with touch screen controls.

It is pestilence upon the world of appliances, I tell ya!

In recent years, all the problems we've had have been with the electronic boards. We've had microwaves refuse to open the door. We've had ovens that turn off. We've had stoves reset in the middle of the night (thankfully, defaulting to lock out mode).

Stop the madness, appliance makers.

Our current range is glass top. It is a clean look, and if you know a few tricks, you can keep the black ones clean and good looking. However, we eschewed the all touch screen and went with manual knobs. Those are not fool proof either, but better. And of course, the oven is electronic. I admit, if we remodel the kitchen, we'll go to gas. Nothing like cooking with gas, even if the look isn't as clean as the sleek glass top. In the end, who cares? Function over form.

Today, we had a power glitch and the microwave display went funky on us. We had to unplug it to reset.

When will it stop?

Our current range is glass top. It is a clean look, and if you know a few tricks, you can keep the black ones clean and good looking.
What are the tricks? I've use the Weiman glass cook top cleaner. It does...ok. Not great.

What are the tricks? I've use the Weiman glass cook top cleaner. It does...ok. Not great.
My trick is a razor blade. Finish it with a nearly dry polish of Cerma Bryte.

They are glass too, right? The problem as other said is the electronics.

Turning on the burner does absolutely nothing unless there is a pot or skillet on the burner and if said pot is empty it will shut down. So yes glass but different.

Our current range is glass top. It is a clean look, and if you know a few tricks, you can keep the black ones clean and good looking. However, we eschewed the all touch screen and went with manual knobs. Those are not fool proof either, but better.........
When I renovated our kitchen, I put in a GE Profile cooktop, black glass, manual controls (one mini control unit under each knob). Zero problems after almost 10 years. Picked GE because they had the best reliability in CR, and they have been making electric cooktops of one sort or another for eons.

As far as cleaning, had to use a razor blade maybe twice. Otherwise, we use Barkeeper's Friend, I think it's called, only to spot-clean, needed very rarely. Now if someone tended to have things boiling over often, or things like sauces not being stirred often enough, blorping scalding bits into the air and down onto cooktop surface regularly, a glass electric cooktop or range may not be for them (maybe they should be cooking outside for safety :LOL::hide: ).

If something does impinge on the glass surface while heating, a quick wipe with a moist rag or paper towel will take it right off, if done before it eventually bakes on.

When I renovated our kitchen, I put in a GE Profile cooktop, black glass, manual controls (one mini control unit under each knob). Zero problems after almost 10 years. Picked GE because they had the best reliability in CR, and they have been making electric cooktops of one sort or another for eons.

As far as cleaning, had to use a razor blade maybe twice. Otherwise, we use Barkeeper's Friend, I think it's called, only to spot-clean, needed very rarely. Now if someone tended to have things boiling over often, or things like sauces not being stirred often enough, blorping scalding bits into the air and down onto cooktop surface regularly, a glass electric cooktop or range may not be for them (maybe they should be cooking outside for safety :LOL::hide: ).

If something does impinge on the glass surface while heating, a quick wipe with a moist rag or paper towel will take it right off, if done before it eventually bakes on.

We too have the GE Profile glass top stove, and our issues are the top scratches fairly easily, and after 10 years it's becoming a little unsightly. A replacement cooktop is $500 plus installation.

They are glass too, right? The problem as other said is the electronics.
The induction cooktops are glass. I have had mine for 9 years. My husband had to talk me into it, but I love it and it is easy to keep clean. Mine is Electrolux and we have not had any issues with it. It is very responsive and heats up fast.

We too have the GE Profile glass top stove, and our issues are the top scratches fairly easily, and after 10 years it's becoming a little unsightly. A replacement cooktop is $500 plus installation.
We're OK at 3 years with a Maytag. However, we treat it with kid gloves. Every pan is placed carefully. When we get the cast iron skillet ready, we have to be even more careful.

And there's the rub. If you really want to cook like a chef, this won't work. Flambé? Forget about it on many levels.

So in summary. Looks great. Slow to heat up or cool, needs careful and frequent cleaning, need flat pans, and more.

Replaced a combination microwave/range (6' tall, I could have fixed for ~$50) with separate over-the-range microwave and glass-top (not induction) range ~3 years ago.

Since then I've read people complain the glass top shatters on its own after use (imperfectly tempered?)

Naturally the company refuses to honor even extended warranties ("you must have dropped something heavy on it") & the part is so expensive you might as well just buy a new range.

So when the above range breaks I will call up the local used appliance store and have them deliver a refurbished electric coil-top range for ~$300, which includes installation & hauling away the old one.

Last edited:
We've had a few glass cooktop ranges over the years. Never had a problem other than the time that DW stood on it to dust the cabinets above and cracked it. :facepalm: Even then, IIRC it still worked but we replaced the cooktop anyway because it looked bad.

Generally easy clean up with a damp dishcloth or the softscrub type cleaner.... occasionally use a razor blade. No scratching in our experience.

Our Maytag stove with a glass cooktop is more than 20-year-old. I replaced a burned out coil once. Other than that, no problem. We would not go back to a cooktop with a coil.

No problem with the thing turning itself on; it has control knobs, not a touch control. The knobs cannot turn themselves from the Off position to On, unless aided by a poltergeist.

Back
Top Bottom