View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Obviously, there's a deep philosophical difference between the way we see the world. I just want to point out, that you would expect in a country that's 75% white, more of them would give their lives in Iraq so I really don't get your point. It is a fact that a disproportionate number of blacks are in the army as compared to their makeup in the general population. I am sure you know why. They are also dying at a disproportionate number in Iraq. Close to half of blacks live in poverty and only a tiny number of whites do. I was not in any way suggesting that you keep blacks down with low expectations? How did you come to that conclusion? I was arguing for understanding and the need to keep an open mind. I am so done with this topic. Good night Samclem. You and I have never been able to agree on this forum. I represent a different side of the spectrum.
Here are some stats on the Military. People speculate about the reason for the numbers. I think it is related to low income people getting an opportunity and education. The fact that we are in a war today just makes it political fodder.

http://www.prb.org/Source/ACF1396.pdf

I joined the USMC as a kid out of high school. It helped pay for my education. It is one of the most positive experiences in my life. I think the military is a good thing for a young man or woman... especially if they led an undisciplined and unstructured life as a young person. It teaches discipline and responsibility.

The military is not some race conspiracy. The stats are most likely driven by economics. If those people who join take advantage of the benefits (part of their pay) for being in the military they can improve themselves economically.

If the military offers someone the opportunity to get out of an inner city neighborhood and expand their horizons... it is a good thing.