Join Early Retirement Today

moving target
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

moving target

My plan is to exit this year around 10/1/14. We have no pension, and may not have severance either, so likely just resign with 2 weeks notice.

My planned retirement annual expense has been $95,000. With DOW almost all time high, my net worth increased, so is DW's expense projection. She has stedily increased it and now suggests $105,000/yr before we both ER. FireCalc says I can do $107,500/yr with 100%, though I want some more cushion in case DOW turns around.

I feel like my finder is on the trigger now. Any hint of job dissatisfaction might cause me to walk any minute, though I need to consider DW's moving target also.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could always go back to work if it doesn't work out, correct?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Everybody has different needs & desires. Hard for me to relate to the annual expense numbers. Ours are currently about $43,000 and that's with a $1223 mortgage payment each month. Our retired net income will be more than that, but that's our current spending level, 2 months away from retirement.

By the way. congrats on achieving that level of retirement resources with out benefit of a pension. Mine includes 2 pensions, or else I probably wouldn't be able to retire at 56.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You could always go back to work if it doesn't work out, correct?
I may not want to, once I walk. I am 58.

DW is 52 and a PMP. She said it should not be too hard to get an IT Project Manager contract job somewhere.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I may not want to, once I walk. I am 58.

DW is 52 and a PMP. She said it should not be too hard to get an IT Project Manager contract job somewhere.
Probably so, as with me in engineering.

But I was offered a part time job at Lowes a few days ago (they want old men who could fix things). I declined, for now.

We are living on SS and my RMDs (hate that) and it amounts to about $70K annually which is plenty given all debts are gone and the houses and cars are paid off.

The keys to making it in ER or "retirement" is a lower expenses to the minimum and have no long term debt. Plus, you should work on maintaining good health.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
gone traveling

Seems to me your planned expense doesn't really need to increase just because the DOW goes up. Just tell your DW, she doesn't get to increase her IT project budgets just because the company made more money
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Feels good to have the option to walk away on your own

I remember when I left, during the final days, I had a few people come up to me and say they wished they could walk but because of finances or "no permission" from the spouse, could not.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think as a practical matter many of us splurge a bit when investment results are good and dial back and tighten our belts when investment results are languishing. It's human nature. As long as your spending is elastic enough to dial back if necessary there is not much need to fret.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Seems to me your planned expense doesn't really need to increase just because the DOW goes up. h:
It's the "wealth effect". Really loosens the purse strings on a lot of consumers.
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote