Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #14741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Last Saturday DW's grandnieces and her nephew visited briefly on their way back from SIL's house. A couple of months ago when I got the new 13x19 printer I printed out a photo of the older grandniece, then 7, just to see what a huge print like that would look like. I put it aside and didn't think much of it. I just like the image because of the child's sheer exuberance and hamming it up a bit for the camera.

She sees it on the visit and says she'd like to have it, "Sure" but in the confusion of leaving it was left behind. So I framed it for her. Now, she has a younger sister and I don't want to foster any jealousy, sibling rivalry, or any of that and of course if I give one something then it's just unfair to neglect the other. So I framed one of her too.

I E-mailed DW's nephew and his wife with this photo and they're happy to have them. It's the kind of thing that is cute now and priceless 30 years from now.

Great pics - cute kids - a couple of little hams!

How did the checkup go today - was the cold just a cold?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #14742
Administrator

Yesterday was a "get out of the house" day so I went to see "The Purge". Toward the end it took on a strong sense of "The Warriors", but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #14743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
How did the checkup go today - was the cold just a cold?
Yes, the cold is just a cold, slowly getting better, as is normal.

Today is 26 years of wedded bliss with DW. Went to the Bavarian Inn for dinner, our go-to place for a splurge on a meal. Chateaubriand For Two and an ice cream dessert. That's whipped cream on top, chocolate syrup, crushed nuts (I think pecans) and vanilla ice cream.

We're stuffed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dessert-1.jpg (91.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Dessert-2.jpg (83.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #14744

Happy Anniversary Walt!

I started the day with an early 3 mile walk on the beach with the dog. Returned in time to schlep my boys to their 1/2 day sailing camp. (They're having so much fun I signed them up for 2 more weeks. They'll be real pros by the end.)

Later I did some yard work (weeding... yuck...) then went and got the boys. Made quinoa and black beans for lunch for all of us. Tonight it's schlepping one boy to basketball practice, then off to see older boy play a basketball game at the rec center.

I wonder how I ever fit work into my schedule.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #14745

Quote:

Today is 26 years of wedded bliss with DW. Went to the Bavarian Inn for dinner, our go-to place for a splurge on a meal. Chateaubriand For Two and an ice cream dessert. That's whipped cream on top, chocolate syrup, crushed nuts (I think pecans) and vanilla ice cream.

We're stuffed.

Happy Anniversary!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #14746
Moderator Emeritus

Ever since we started considering retirement in coastal California, DW and I have been testing increasingly lower levels of spending to find the bottom limit of our comfort zone. We have finally found it. I am looking forward to loosening the purse string a little bit next month. But now we have a good baseline for planning retirement in this location.

And this is my 10,000th post on this forum.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #14747
Moderator Emeritus

Happy Anniversary, Walt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Ever since we started considering retirement in coastal California, DW and I have been testing increasingly lower levels of spending to find the bottom limit of our comfort zone. We have finally found it. I am looking forward to loosening the purse string a little bit next month. But now we have a good baseline for planning retirement in this location.

And this is my 10,000th post on this forum.
Congratulations, both on the 10,000th post, and on figuring out the bottom limit of your comfort zone (not an easy task).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #14748
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations, both on the 10,000th post, and on figuring out the bottom limit of your comfort zone (not an easy task).
Thanks W2R. And I just realized that today is the 4th anniversary of my retirement!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #14749
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks W2R. And I just realized that today is the 4th anniversary of my retirement!
Woo-hoo! Congratulations on that, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #14750
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bought a new car yesterday. We took our grandson, who is visiting us, along to pick it up. He didn't even flinch when DW took out the checkbook and paid cash. I hope he learns the right lesson from that - i.e. the reason we can pay cash is that we LBOM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #14751
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought an old Sunfish, pretty good shape, just dirty, so much fun to mess around in!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #14752
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're having a few days of nice weather, so I power washed the deck in preparation to stain it tomorrow. The dogs won't be too happy as they'll have to either stay out in the fenced yard or be holed up in the house.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #14753
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up to the alarm clock, well actually about 20 minutes before it was set for - and got up, readied myself for w*rk one last time. Drove to work, and realized it seemed a bit different having that big of a smile on my face when getting out of my truck - when arriving at work. Did some walkabout and shook hands and a few hugs with the folks I've worked closest with over the years (38+ at same location, although company name has changed several times). Exit interview with HR done, went to talk to my manager, turned over my keys - and it's done!

I'm retired now - and lovin' it already.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #14754

Now, THAT is a good day. Congratulations.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #14755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Woke up to the alarm clock, well actually about 20 minutes before it was set for - and got up, readied myself for w*rk one last time. Drove to work, and realized it seemed a bit different having that big of a smile on my face when getting out of my truck - when arriving at work. Did some walkabout and shook hands and a few hugs with the folks I've worked closest with over the years (38+ at same location, although company name has changed several times). Exit interview with HR done, went to talk to my manager, turned over my keys - and it's done!

Congratulations!!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #14756

Quote:

Congratulations!! It's only going to get better from here and that big smile may just be permanent now.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #14757
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Congrats on your retirement!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #14758

Quote:

Congrats Classmate!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #14759

Quote:
Yep, dangerous for the waistline. I like Molinari Delicatessen too.
The best deli in SF, and just a short walk down the hill from where DW and I used to live. We absolutely loved North Beach. Made many stops in Molinari's and spent a lot of time in Caffe Puccini and, of course, lots of time in Specs, Tosca and Gino & Carlo. Great memories.

And, that's why we're coming back! Not precisely the same place but, in the area. Really looking forward to returning ~Jan 2015.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #14760

Quote:

We're stuffed.
Congrats Walt!

DW and I stayed there for our 25th anniversary. It's a very romantic place.

We lived in NoVA at the time, and I wanted to surprise her. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to convince a woman who's lived with you for 25+ years to pack a bag and not know where she's going. But, she was patient with me, and I completely threw her off track when we stopped mid afternoon in Harper's Ferry for lunch and mid-day sight seeing. Although she enjoyed that, she really loved it when we arrived at the Bavarian Inn. When the hostess brought the anniversary band I'd had made along with our dessert as I'd requested, the look on DW's face was priceless. (In hindsight, I wonder how smart it was to give such a piece of jewelry to a 20 yr old hostess I'd never met before.) Anyway, great memories of Shepherdstown and the Bavarian Inn.
Closed Thread