Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I've never understood gamers nor the attraction to such games after puberty. I know, I know...it's an age thing. My DS (age 33) has an excellent job (requiring a TS security clearance), wife and family life. Yet he plays into the night at times (according to his DW)...

It's a different strokes thing.

I can't understand why anybody would want to watch pro sports. At least with video games you are an active participant. It drives me crazy when relatives are watching a game and shouting at the tv as if the players could hear them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

The 4X PC games are my favorite and have been since I bought my first PC in 1985. They can eat up many hours/days for me in a blink of an eye.
Currently replaying Civ5 solo games waiting for the new Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in Oct.
Will be interesting to see what happens when I retire: will have to choose between lounging by the pool with a cold one and playing all day long (guess I won't need late night sessions anymore as my daytime will be free also?).
Lucky for me my wife doesn't mind me playing (play in the living room with the tv on and her sitting on the sofa watching a show so we still interact while I am playing).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Planescape:Torment etc.
Planescape 2 is coming out next year. In a similar vein, Wasteland 2 is releasing in September.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
The 4X PC games are my favorite and have been since I bought my first PC in 1985. They can eat up many hours/days for me in a blink of an eye.
Currently replaying Civ5 solo games waiting for the new Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in Oct.
Will be interesting to see what happens when I retire: will have to choose between lounging by the pool with a cold one and playing all day long (guess I won't need late night sessions anymore as my daytime will be free also?).
Lucky for me my wife doesn't mind me playing (play in the living room with the tv on and her sitting on the sofa watching a show so we still interact while I am playing).
This warms my heart. I went on Civ V binge this weekend. I was getting frustrated trying a new multiplayer Space simulator that my buddy wanted me to try. So I did the same went and did the same thing gave Civ V a send off,while waiting for the new game to arrive.

Lately, I have found I haven't played as much game as I did a 5 or 6 years ago, I thought it was maybe turning 50 a few years ago. So I am inspired to know that W2R who is in her 60s and quite a few other woman my age are are still playing.

It is funny I have been reading these forums quite regularly since I joined and this the first game thread, I've seen. But I am not all surprised that there are a fair number of gamers, the complex games I think have a similar skill set as solving financial problems.

So folks, I encourage you all to share new games idea. If we can keep a jokes thread alive for years, we should be able to do the same thing for games.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Planescape 2 is coming out next year. In a similar vein, Wasteland 2 is releasing in September.
Wow, that's awesome - Planescape was the best RPG, plot-wise, I've ever played. I was geniunely moved at the end of that game, the writing was so good. It's hard to describe to folks that don't play these, but you really get attached to some of the characters if the writing and voice acting is done well.

Wasteland I never played, but did get into the later Fallout games. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads-up.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Starting with Pong in the 70s (yep, played on that big old console TV with the little bitty screen), I've loved video games. Got in trouble frequently for being late 'cause I lost track of time in the arcade. Nowadays, it's mostly Facebook and other PC-platform games, although I do have a Wii when I get the urge for a little Rock Band or some such. Not so much into true full combat games, though, and they seem to dominate these days.
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #47

Games became almost a problem for me so I don't play. I got so wrapped up in Doom (yeah, that goes back a ways) that I once realized that "Hey, I've got to get ready to go to work in 45 minutes" and later started to get early warning signs of carpal tunnel syndrome so I deleted all games and have stayed away since.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Games became almost a problem for me so I don't play. I got so wrapped up in Doom (yeah, that goes back a ways) that I once realized that "Hey, I've got to get ready to go to work in 45 minutes" and later started to get early warning signs of carpal tunnel syndrome so I deleted all games and have stayed away since.
Doom was great. Used to run it from floppy discs.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

So, what is/are some of your all-time favorite game/games? The ones you just couldn't stop playing, and you still occasionally dust off just for a trip down memory lane?
The first 5 that came to my mind are (in no particular order):
The Sid Meier’s Civilization series.
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
The Age of Wonders series
The Battletech series

Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Doom was great. Used to run it from floppy discs.
I liked Doom. But loved the Descent series, in fact I still play Descent 2 periodically, even though it is very old.

Also a big fan of the Civilization and Age of Wonders series, but the game I currently play the most is Europa Universalis IV.
Jaded salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
So, what is/are some of your all-time favorite game/games? The ones you just couldn't stop playing, and you still occasionally dust off just for a trip down memory lane?
The first 5 that came to my mind are (in no particular order):
The Sid Meier’s Civilization series.
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
The Age of Wonders series
The Battletech series

The first 3 are among my all time favorites.
I also like the Fallout Series, and Skyrim (not a big fan of the others in the series)
X-Com both the original and the remake.
The remake of Master of Magic Fallen Enchantress is worth a look.

I've purchase many of the Paradox Games like Europa Universalis but they are so long, I seldom finish them.

Among more recent games I've purchased are State of Decay, and interesting combination of RPG and resource management game, and zombie killers.
The Witchers 2, and BioShock Infinite both of which I sucked at but are good games.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote