Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Do you want Timbits with your Croissan'wich?

Aaaaaand... Burger Thing turns Canadian, with maybe a side of Irish Holding Company and a pinch of Dutch. Taxes? Not any more...

What's not to like, eh?
... would you like some bits with that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by munnyman View Post
I had a $50k bond mature about 5 years back and put about $35k of it into THI for 1000 shares...for an odd reason to most, perhaps...as I got frustrated waiting in the drive through lines every morning. Figured if the lineups were this consistent there might be a good investment...so i've held it. Glad I did. It's in my RRIF and I'm happy. Read a report a while back that Tim's has 77% of the fast food coffee biz in Canada. Actually, I prefer McD's coffee, apparently better than what they sell in US?

I think McD coffee ain't too bad really. Starbucks has many types of drip/brewed coffee but I only like their Pike Place one. The Americano is rancid due to their bitter acidic espresso beans.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

With our recent trip to Canada, eh? I was able to visit a Tim Horton's (more than once) and it was ok, nothing spectacular but decent doughnuts. The funny thing is we stopped at one late at night and their parking lot and the one next to it was full of cop cars. I guess the sterotype is true in Canada as well
Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
The funny thing is we stopped at one late at night and their parking lot and the one next to it was full of cop cars. I guess the sterotype is true in Canada as well
Was there any other choice late at night? Often the reason is that no other place to eat is open other than the doughnut shop.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I once took a course where we had to accompany the police on their nocturnal rounds. I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I once took a course where we had to accompany the police on their nocturnal rounds. I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.
I believe those sorts of discounts are fairly common. When I lived in Los Angeles, the El Pollo Loco restaurant next to my place of work gave 50% discounts to LAPD officers, while my place of work gave a 25% discount (which, considering the mark-up of the goods we sold, was a generous discount).

Many retail businesses, understandably, like to have police officers as a regular presence.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Was there any other choice late at night? Often the reason is that no other place to eat is open other than the doughnut shop.
That is true, it was nearing midnight IIRC and it might have been the only place still serving food not just doughnuts.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #28

Quote:
That is a good idea, something I would do too if I was a business owner of something similar or a convenience store/gas station.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.
That's pretty much an industry standard for that reason. The Dept. I worked for was vehemently against the policy since we had strictly enforced rules against accepting any sort of gratuity, including free coffee. It could get awkward with me wanting to pay for it and the poor clerk, under standing orders to give it to me, and a line forming behind.

When it got to that point I'd take the free coffee rather than make a scene about it. Really, I did get paid enough that buying my own coffee wasn't a hardship.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The Canadian government has given its blessing.

Canada Gives The Union Of Burger King & Tim Hortons Its Blessing – Consumerist

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That's a travesty, IMO. A lot of people have a fondness for Tim Horton's, me included. Whenever visiting Canada, I always made a point of going to Timmy's. It would make no difference to me whether Burger King existed or not.

I know Timmy's is just a chain of coffee/sandwch/donut shops, but I like the no-nonsense coffee and sandwiches you could get there. The coffee was neither the overly strong stuff you get in places like Starbucks, nor the bad tasting "mud" that still languishes in the coffeepots of some diners. It, like the sandwiches, was just good, sensible fare. Trust the Canadians to come up with a chain that serves sensible food, and bless 'em for it!

I'm feeling a little sad today. Burger King are nothing special, and Timmy's is. They will surely spoil the Timmy's brand, given time.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm feeling a little sad today. Burger King are nothing special, and Timmy's is. They will surely spoil the Timmy's brand, given time.
That's what I'm afraid of too.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I do wonder if it will kill the Timmy's cult following, sort of like how Krispy Kreme became nothing.
I am always amazed when travel into Canada, that folks will line up at Tim Hortons, while other places have zero line up (M'cDs , A&W), at breakfast time.
Personally, I find the M'cD coffee good or better, and skip Tim Horton.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Don't like Burger King or Tim Hortons.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have never been to Tim Horton's. I am going to Canada next month. What should I try there? (I am afraid I am not a coffee drinker or a donut eater...)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #36

Tim Horton's better open some shops in Florida. All the Canadians are down here!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I have never been to Tim Horton's. I am going to Canada next month. What should I try there? (I am afraid I am not a coffee drinker or a donut eater...)
Coffee and donuts (or muffins or bagels) are the signature products at Tim Horton's. If you don't want either of those, you could have soup and a sandwich for lunch, or a breakfast muffin. You can check out the menu at Tim Hortons
Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Aside from donuts and muffins, Tims give the impression of providing healthy stuff.

Tags
tim horton burger king