Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #15221

Was all set to head out to the gym, gym key in pocket, after a grocery run and the phone rang.... DW then informed me that plans had changed and I was to be the photographer when her niece brought new grandnephew over to SIL's... So no workout today but DW likes the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rex.jpg (162.6 KB, 12 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #15222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent good part of the day doing research on window replacement (the house kind!). I tell ya, this home maint/reno sucks. In addition to obscene amounts of $ necessary, it takes up a lot of my valuable retirement time .
Old 09-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #15223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went to Filoli House and Gardens in Woodside:

and the Japanese gardens in Hayward.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #15224
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a 9-mile hike. That plantar fasciitis is really not fun. The last 3 miles were really painful. Then we had a picnic at the beach. Cooked a great meal on the propane stove.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #15225
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I am getting the hang of this ER thing. Here it was a Sunday evening, which in my previous life (3 weeks ago) meant a nasty case of Sunday Night Dread. But this Sunday evening would prove to be different. I decided on a whim (retirement is full of whims I am discovering) to go for an evening paddle. So I hoisted my kayak on my shoulder and carried it down to the beach and off I went. Calm, benign conditions welcomed me - and as I glided through the kelp beds I made note of large groups of porpoises, seals, eagles, alarmingly large jellyfish, spectacular cruise ships passing by - capped off by a nice sunset as I made my way back to my beach. BEST. SUNDAY. EVER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (520.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #15226
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Sea Kayaker for so quickly discovering what makes ER so wonderful. And you've just begun!

Yesterday, Sunday, found me at the market for some overlooked supplies. What a shock to the system to be in a retail store with the weekend masses. Am now thoroughly accustomed to my quiet ER, midweek shopping jaunts.

Anyhow, today, Monday, we will be hitting the trail at a nearby canyon area for our weekly conditioning hike. Goal is to do 12 miles, but in that we're still getting back up to speed after two weeks of international (i.e. sedentary) travel, I think 10 is probably more realistic. Really looking forward to having the hiking trail to ourselves given this is the start of the workweek for most folk.

After that the plan is to do some light planting in the front yard, then work on a baby needlepoint project for the remainder of the day.
what did you do today?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #15227

what did you do today?

Hopefully my last day of drywall sanding and I can prime and paint the kitchen by the end of the week. Taking my time, a few hours a day. Then it's time to get in the camper and disappear for a month or so, while the paint drys...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #15228

...assuming DW can choose a paint color by then.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #15229
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Several hours of kayaking on the lake. No wind, 70 F, a few clouds, water was like a mirror, reflecting all the various fall colors. And no one else on the lake.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #15230
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw a group of humpback whales this morning - orcas, greys, and minke whales are fairly common sights... I had heard of humpback sightings in these waters but this was a first for me. An amazing sight, a much bigger sea mammal than I am accustomed to. If I had still been working, I wouldn't have seen this. Another argument in favour of ER! Tried to get some pictures, but iPhone camera just wasn't up to the challenge.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #15231
Moderator Emeritus

Took a 25 mile bike ride, and cleaned my workshop after finishing a basement photo darkroom with my niece.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #15232
Recycles dryer sheets

Not quite retired yet, but today I'm pretending I am. 10 years ago today, I started a great relationship with Ginny. She's a beautiful firefighter edition Harley Davidson Roadking. Brand new off the show room floor back then, she's given me about 40,000 miles of fun and still lookin good. She hasn't given me too much trouble, never left me stranded, and as long as I buy here some bling every once in a while, she seems happy. Today I am taking her for a putt along the same route as the first one we had together. About 90 miles of pretty back roads with a few rolling hills, sweepers, and a few twisties...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #15233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
Not quite retired yet, but today I'm pretending I am. 10 years ago today, I started a great relationship with Ginny. She's a beautiful firefighter edition Harley Davidson Roadking. Brand new off the show room floor back then, she's given me about 40,000 miles of fun and still lookin good. She hasn't given me too much trouble, never left me stranded, and as long as I buy here some bling every once in a while, she seems happy. Today I am taking her for a putt along the same route as the first one we had together. About 90 miles of pretty back roads with a few rolling hills, sweepers, and a few twisties...
How about showing Ginny off with a roadside photo of her for us?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #15234
Recycles dryer sheets

DH & I donated blood yesterday. We go fairly routinely, it's one small way we try to earn our keep in the world.

Then we went to Sports Basement and made very good use of one of the coveted 20% off entire purchase coupons we received for donating. DH got a new cycling vest, which was on sale even before the discount was added, and I bought some shoes I had been eyeing.

Then we treated ourselves to a nice lunch. Gotta keeps up our strength, dontchaknow.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #15235
Recycles dryer sheets

Commuted to w*rk . . . our 'new' morning commute since ER'ing that is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commute.jpg (40.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #15236
Moderator Emeritus

That is one gorgeous photo.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #15237
Recycles dryer sheets

Here ya go Aja!

There she is, in front of the same place that was my first stop 10 years ago! Seeing as you aren't far away, if you are in the Austin area and have time, check out Leon's in Rockne, Tx. One of the best of the old school bar/country stores left in Texas. Just east of FM 20 on FM 535...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (659.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #15238
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry about the flip. Thank God Ginny is not typically the type to do that!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #15239

My lifestyle choice confirmed, #5 on the list!

5 Ways to Just Enjoy Retirement

And this morning I did the last item on this list:

Favorite Leisure Activities of Retirees - US News
Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #15240
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That is one gorgeous photo.
+1 And I wish I was hiking there now
Closed Thread