Inn at Little Washington

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Coming up on our 40th wedding anniversary. Have booked a room and dinner at the Inn at Little Washington. This is about 50 miles from our home. Yeah, mega pricey, but what the hell. We usually don't do much of anything for occasions like birthdays and anniversaries so decided to just go for it this year. Anyone else been?

Out of curiosity, I had to check this Inn out on the Web. :) Nice!

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Haven't been for a long time, but it was quite the experience back in '89. We didn't stay there, since we were young and not FI. But for our 10th anniversary it was a very memorable meal. Combined it with a visit to Luray Caverns, and had a great day.

Now that I've inherited my Mom's river house on the Shenandoah, we'll use it some during the summers and only be a half hour away. Maybe I'll surprise DW and set up another visit. Thanks for the memory.

Last edited:
I ate there once about 10 years ago, and also had a look at the hotel room area upstairs while I was there. Dinner was very good, but I honestly think the high price is a bit of a gimmick. Service was a nice combination of professional but casual; it didn't feel at all stuffy or intimidating. We ate dinner in the dining room but chose to have dessert outdoors on the patio, which was nice. BTW, I wanted to take my parents there for their 50th anniversary, but they declined. My dad said he wouldn't be able to enjoy it knowing how expensive it was.

I once ate at a Michelin 3-star restaurant in Paris. (That year, there were 21 3-star restaurants in all of France.) It wasn't at all casual. Men had to wear jackets, unlike the Inn at LW. The experience was a bit intimidating. There were more staff serving than there were diners, even though every table was occupied. The original art nouveau interior was stunning. I don't remember what I had anymore (but I can recall other, much less expensive meals in France and elsewhere) except for the amuse-bouche we were served, chopped razor clams in a cream sauce served in their beautiful shells. It was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

I have been three times over the last 30 years. It costs an arm and a leg but Patrick O'Connell prepares fantastic food. If you plan to stay out there I recommend the Foster Harris House, about two blocks from the Inn. Staying at the Inn itself is way too expensive. Foster Harris is beautiful and serves a memorable breakfast. They also offer bike tours of the surrounding countryside if you are into that.

Thanks for sharing this. Next May we're turning DS's college graduation into a week at Massanutten (pre-graduation) then spending 5 days in DC area, doing the monuments thing. We'll definitely reserve an evening for dinner. Hoping to hike some of the trails in Shenandoah National Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Went once with my parents many many moons ago - I think when I was in college so that would be at least 35 years ago. It's interesting how some restaurants can maintain both their quality and cachet for decades while others decline when a chef leaves.

Thanks for all your replies!

Thanks for bringing this place to my attention. I would definitely love it for a major life event. Couse we're 1.2k miles away, but that can be fixed.

It's been on my wish list for years. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The Bavarian Inn is really nice too. I've eaten at both, although neither one very recently. And I've never stayed in either place. But if my memory serves, the IALW is much fancier (and much more expensive) food than the Bavarian. It would be worth the drive down for a special occasion.

The Bavarian Inn is really nice too. I've eaten at both, although neither one very recently. And I've never stayed in either place. But if my memory serves, the IALW is much fancier (and much more expensive) food than the Bavarian. It would be worth the drive down for a special occasion.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep it in mind for when the next time DW needs a lift from something depressing. And bring the checkbook.:LOL:

Coming up on our 40th wedding anniversary. Have booked a room and dinner at the Inn at Little Washington. This is about 50 miles from our home. Yeah, mega pricey, but what the hell. We usually don't do much of anything for occasions like birthdays and anniversaries so decided to just go for it this year. Anyone else been?

Yes! My wife and I stayed in 2012 and we both loved it. The Inn at Little Washington restaurant is incredible and Washington Va. is a very laid back place. You are so right though, it is very pricey to stay there and also to dine, but like you said.."what the hell", it is an experience and the meal was an adventure:) Hope you have a great time!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom