Join Early Retirement Today

Need quick thoughts on where to move some cash in Fidelity
Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need quick thoughts on where to move some cash in Fidelity

Short story is have been waiting to decide what to do with some cash in Fidelity brokerage account - from a recent stock sale.

Given movement over past few days, I'd like to move some of it to an ETF or low cost mutual fund - I am pretty much Vanguard in most holdings, but just hadn't moved this, yet.

While I know it is timing a bit, with the reset over the past few sessions it seems a reasonable time to do this since it was what I was going to do once I transferred it to Vanguard - just ran out of time to do it.

Options include buying Vanguard through Fidelity - I don't even yet know how fee structure would work in this case.

I would probably put it in Vanguard VSMAX (Small Cap) or VTSAX (Total Stock Market) ... is anyone working with same equivalents at Fidelity?

Would normally research myself, but the correction magnitude caught me :-)

Thanks!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A Fidelity alternative to VTSAX would be FSTMX.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

For low cost, look at the spartan funds from fidelity.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks ... did quick review and decided to play shorter term angle ... picked up a few shares of the Fidelity Health Care ETF ...I have been wanting some health care specific exposure ... I haven't "played" much since early 2000s ... maybe I'll start playing a bit more ... ETF was easy and free to buy, but Fidelity does have a $7.95 sell fee if within 30 days.

Guess I need to decided whether to keep some bucks in Fidelity or continue the move to Vanguard.

Thanks - if market continues movement down, at least I'll be more prepared.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

(Potentially) made $255 today :-)

Forgot how much fun speculation was ....
Old 10-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

My suggestion would be that if you aren't going to closely monitor your portfolio, then you should by equal portions of a total US stock fund, a total international fund, and either a bond fund or a bond ladder.

Every month or every paycheck or every quarter just add equal amounts to all three and then once a year rebalance back to three equal portions.

I wrote a book about this because so many people asked me where they should put their money. If you aren't going to closely monitor the markets (reading earnings reports, etc.) then you are probably better off establish a simple plan as to how you will invest your money and then spending your free time doing other (presumably more enjoyable) pursuits.
DoWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

Agree on increased monitoring ....have been overcome by life over last few years and kinda just did the work thing .... Have maintained consistent investing practices and a semblance of rebalancing, but more on auto with dollar cost averaging through a couple of plans from megacorp ... Will have more time and increased interest after IFQ ...should be fun to able to spend more time on portfolio and to set aside some mad money to play with :-)

I didn't get as much in as I wanted to when market got whacked this week, but did end up 4% within the two recovery days ...and it was in something I wanted some exposure in ....got some great advice from you all on the forum, as well ...a food week!

Thanks to Everyone!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dollar Cost Averaging is a fine way to "time the market"
DoWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

I like your thinking DoWright. I like to re-balance my accounts every 2 or 3 qtrs. Mostimes I out perform my "managed accounts" which have strict instructions to maintain the investment 1st and make a few bucks if you can. This way I've got professional advice for a chunk and I follow my guts for the rest.
So Stevenson, my advice is diversify between professional and gut/common sense investments. Enjoy it and be glad you have saved. Vanguard and Fidelity are equally competent.
spudowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Thanks, DuWright,

I can probably close this thread out, now ...it was fun to buy simply base on a really down day ...I sold out today ...kinda fun and was my first ETF trading cycle ...very easy with Fidelity ...not crazy about their screens, but all worked ok. Was tough to sell, but if I didn't I wouldn't have any mad money for the next market down day.

I rally appreciate all the thoughts ...I learn something from everyone's comments!