Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #15661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I needed more stuff on the walls - So I took a few of my old train shots and had canvases made. DW came up with the easel idea for one of the canvases.
That's good - it'd be a shame to put that in a closet somewhere.

DW wanted another farm photo framed and put in the family room. It's an 8x10 in an 11x14 frame for a smaller area between a sliding door and a window. But this way the two main pieces of artwork match in color tone. This makes DW happy.

The first one is a 13x19 photo in an 18x24 frame over the couch. I shot both a few years ago from FIL's back yard when he was still living in his house.

These didn't take any insight or talent. The lighting was so perfect that it was one of those moments that just screamed "Take a picture, dummy!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Farm_photo-2.jpg (96.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Farm_photo-1.jpg (94.9 KB, 26 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #15662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Spent yesterday running #10 wire from the roof of the RV to a location inside where I'll mount the charge controller for my solar array..............
I notice that we have the same refrigerator vent. I can testify that a mouse, in fact a whole family of mice, can fit through the grid mesh.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #15663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I notice that we have the same refrigerator vent. I can testify that a mouse, in fact a whole family of mice, can fit through the grid mesh.

Just what I wanted to hear lol...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #15664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just what I wanted to hear lol...

I cut a section of 1/4" mesh hardware cloth the same size as the door and stick it on the hole while it is stored, temporarily replacing the door. It is under a cover, so no water gets in.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #15665
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's good - it'd be a shame to put that in a closet somewhere.

DW wanted another farm photo framed and put in the family room. It's an 8x10 in an 11x14 frame for a smaller area between a sliding door and a window. But this way the two main pieces of artwork match in color tone. This makes DW happy.

The first one is a 13x19 photo in an 18x24 frame over the couch. I shot both a few years ago from FIL's back yard when he was still living in his house.

These didn't take any insight or talent. The lighting was so perfect that it was one of those moments that just screamed "Take a picture, dummy!"
Nice looking frames/photos, Walt! I like the farm scenes, and your railroad roundhouse shot. I need to find a roundhouse around here. The only one I've found is a brewpub - and that's not bad either.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #15666
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday it was nearly 70 degrees so scrapped our other plans and decided to spend some time on the river. Paddled for about an hour on the South Branch of the Potomac. That's DW coming up river with the Hanging Rocks in the background. The river in front of our property is very slow moving so reasonably easy to go upstream for a while, then float back down. There was a strong wind today so made the upstream portion a bit harder.

We saw a couple of bald Eagles, some small hawks and a number of Pileated Woodpeckers as well. The Bald Eagles appear to have a next up on top of the rocks. They are common in this area. Tried to get a picture of the eagles but too far away to get one where you could tell what they were.

It was also the first day of hunting season here, heard shots all day and a lot of hunters in the woods and in town.

Also picked up a building permit so we can start a new house for my wife's sister/husband/father who are living in our guest cabin until its done. I'm going to act as the general contractor and do some of the work, hope to be complete by early spring but weather will be a big factor. Will break ground next week if it goes as planned. Busy day!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #15667
Give me a forum ...

Got up late, around 8:30, still went to the Y for an hour of workout, then breakfest at the greasy spoon. Came home checked email as usual. I must be slipping, no admonishments from any moderators of any forums. Deleted without reading about a dozen computer generated birthday greetings. I am sure they were just ever so lovely, touching and personal.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #15668

I'm not RE yet, but since I'm using vacation time all this week it is sort of a dress rehearsal for what's to come next year. I think I will like it.

This morning I ran some errands. It was nice to have relatively empty stores. After lunch I ran the lawn mower over the front lawn to mulch up the leaves that were there. The mowing was a "win" all the way around: The leaves got shredded up before getting snowed on tomorrow, and will put nutrients back into the soil. I burned some calories and got the blood flowing in my legs on a non-running rest day. And since DH did not have to do that chore, he saved some steps on his arthritic hip (which hopefully will lessen the pain tonight).
Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #15669
Recycles dryer sheets

Another great 90 minute cardio session at the gym. Probably in the best shape I've been for about 10 years. Leaving for Baja in a couple of days. Debating whether or not to pack my leopard skin speedo. Probably not... haven't had the pleasure of seeing a Mexican jail from the inside, best keep it that way.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #15670

1. Set up my DW's 403b rollover to Vanguard
2. Went grocery shopping with her (planked salmon tonight)
3. Cleaned two S&W 38's and a Heritage 22cal Rough Rider
4. Watched coverage of the Ferguson crap (#3 and #4 NOT related)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #15671
Give me a forum ...

I remembered to log on...

I've been super busy the past few weeks getting the pre-winter prep stuff done. Mr B and I had visitors for 10 days, friends who are enroute to Denver for the birth of a first grandchild. It was fun but odd for me to host guests for that long. I'm used to having my daily schedule all to myself. The guy dug holes for 2 peach trees and 3 seedless Concord grapes that I ordered this fall. Everyone pitched in and helped cook. I reserved filling the dishwasher to myself to keep items out that I wash by hand and make sure nothing too large was put in. Collision avoidance with the rotating internal sprayer arm was achieved. Mr B did the emptying.

I've spent the last 4 days on eBay, bidding on and buying beanie babies to give away for the holidays. The older ones go for very cheap and are much more well made than anything I could possibly find in local stores. I focused on buying teddy bears and woodsland animals. I scored several lots of multiple BBs, some with free shipping. So far, I have 138 BBs on their way to my house.

I ran across a real live Santa at the local VFW who visits nursing homes and veterans posts, playing the role to the max. What a character. He told dirty jokes non-stop for 2 hours. Bad Santa is very grateful to get whatever I am willing to give him as gifts to distribute to bring a smile to faces, both young and old. I'm saving a few for my VFW buddies with grandchildren. Or so they claim to.

I'll keep a few BBs in reserve for last minute cheering up duty.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #15672

Quote:
Easily. DW and I have been out for +3 months at a time with no friction. We spend half the year in it, traveling. Used to have a '95 Class B. Still would have, were it just me. But in a truck camper, I could manage full time. And fully enjoy it.

Thanks seraphim. After my house is done, I'll be looking into this in more detail.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #15673

Spent the day installing solar panels on the truck camper, and hooking up the wiring. By the time I was finished, it was dark, so I don't know if the "0 volts 0 amps " reading is because it's pitch black outside, or I screwed up wiring...

...guess I'll know in the morning.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #15674
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up about 5:30 am (cursed from previous career). Dog woke up about 6 am and cannot be denied her early morning potty run outside. Coffee and paper and before we knew it, it was about 9 am. Took the dog out for her morning exercise run - gun dog can't be denied her morning hunt. Wind chill was 15F, but DW and I jogged the run to keep us warm and it's always fun to watch the dog run leash free and hunt along the trail. Dog didn't find any rabbits today but that didn't damp her enthusiasm. Quick trip to COSTCO and Whole Foods (couldn't believe how crowded it was - doesn't anybody work anymore?) and then left to pick up my Mom at my sister's house, about 90 minutes from my own home. Mom is spending Thanksgiving with us. Got home from snatching Mom about 4 pm. DW cooked a great dinner, and three glasses of wine and NCIS, followed by NCIS New Orleans later, I'm signing on here to see what's up for the day. I couldn't believe how many people were out and about today, again, don't they have real jobs? Anyway, great day, time for late night reading with DW.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #15675
Give me a forum ...

Oh the weather outside is frightful....

So far we have about 4 inches of snow and it's still falling, a nice light sparkly snow at a steady rate. Perfect weather for building a blazing fire.

My first shipment of Beanie Babies arrived.

I'm having fun posing them in...shall we say...unusual positions to use for naughty xmas emails to good friends.

My friends know I'm a bit out there and have an unusual imagination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FireNov2014.jpg (178.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #15676

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

My first shipment of Beanie Babies arrived.

I'm having fun posing them in...shall we say...unusual positions to use for naughty xmas emails to good friends.

My friends know I'm a bit out there and have an unusual imagination.

I think you attached the wrong picture😉

Old 11-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #15677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I think you attached the wrong picture��
Nope, I meant to show my blazing fire.

I'm saving my BB pix for just the right moment.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #15678
Give me a forum ...

Just resting a bit now before going out to the kitchen to make paella to bring to my brother's Thanksgiving lunch. We do not host this big family meal this year, but will do the Christmas one, or the New Year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #15679
Give me a forum ...

I just pulled the aluminum foil off Mr Turkey for the last hour of cooking. The meat stays so much moister and cooks more evenly when the entire turkey is fully covered during the first 2 hours of cooking.

Stuffing is in the convection oven and potatoes are getting peeled as I type. Yes, I made a timetable list and set/reset my little dual timer for when dish prep and put in oven times need to be known.

System process control at its best.

This is what happens when you let an engineer loose in the kitchen.

I am STARVING but have at least 1 more hour until sit down time. GROAN!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #15680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
System process control at its best.

This is what happens when you let an engineer loose in the kitchen.

I am STARVING but have at least 1 more hour until sit down time. GROAN!!!!
Ya but......how good is the system process control if the engineer's stomach is rumbling for an hour?

Closed Thread