Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
My HSA plan (Florida) went up 18.8%, the Affordable should be changed to Unaffordable.
BCBS Bluecard plans rose 25%, while BCBS Bluecard Medicare rose 2%. It would be nice if there were more scrutiny of their operations.

I think our population is becoming aware just how costly healthcare is in the US.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
BCBS Bluecard plans rose 25%, while BCBS Bluecard Medicare rose 2%. It would be nice if there were more scrutiny of their operations.

I think our population is becoming aware just how costly healthcare is in the US.

Tell me about it... If we just kept it the way it was where only healthy people could get insurance, my premium wouldn't be jumping from $88 to $375!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
My HSA plan (Florida) went up 18.8%, the Affordable should be changed to Unaffordable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's astounding. Everyone's health insurance premiums had been declining year over year before the ACA.
Mine is up 42% effective Jan 1st. I've never had an increase like that. I'm still looking for my $2,500 per year savings.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Don't the medical loss ratios still apply, like 85% of premiums must pay out for claims?

Or does the 85% include the insurer overhead?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

My BCBS supplemented plan went up $187. It was $304 for 2014. This is ridiculous and we are looking for another plan.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My BCBS supplemented plan went up $187. It was $304 for 2014. This is ridiculous and we are looking for another plan.
Is this an ACA plan?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Is this an ACA plan?
Yes

The cost shown are after the adjustment.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Don't the medical loss ratios still apply, like 85% of premiums must pay out for claims?

Or does the 85% include the insurer overhead?
The MLR includes some expenses related to adjudicating claims but does not include overhead as I recall. The remaining 15% is for cover overhead and profit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

My bronze ACA plan (BCBS) premium is going up just $10.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
My bronze ACA plan (BCBS) premium is going up just $10.

As I stated in another thread somewhere, our Anthem bronze HDHP was going up 34%, from $900+ to $1200+.

We'll save a little bit, not much, with a new carrier.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Tell me about it... If we just kept it the way it was where only healthy people could get insurance, my premium wouldn't be jumping from $88 to $375!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
. Good plan! Don't get old and stay healthy! That was my plan too, but somehow, I messed it up!
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

We switched from one bronze plan to the other yesterday, since the one we were on suddenly changed features to make it HSA incompatible (aargh!).

Got the online app done about 5:30pm. Seemed to flow more smoothly than last year.

By 6pm got email that first payment had been scheduled.
By 8pm got email application had been received.
By 10pm got email about acceptance of the application with new member ID and group number.

That was fast!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #153

The unsubsidized monthly premium went up from $380 to $480 per month for my ACA PPO, but HC.gov site tells me my subsidy also went up $100 per mo, so I will probably stick with the same PPO in 2015. Haven't actually tried to enroll yet, though. I have spent a lot of time checking out Medicaid, since at my current income I would qualify, but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Medicaid, no matter what HC.gov says.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

For those who got HSA-eligible plans, are you finding that the premium is slightly higher than the equivalent non HSA plans?

Not enough to really matter much, just a couple of bucks.

But I'm looking at two Bronze plans on Covered CA from the same carrier. The deductibles are $5000 and $4500 for the HSA plan.

But for Doctor Visits, the regular plan is $60 copay after deductible is met while the HSA plan is 40% Coinsurance. So if the doctor charges $200 (don't know what they charge), you'd be paying $120 under the HSA plan or double the amount?

Though I do see that for things like lab tests, it's 30% coinsurance vs. 40% coinsurance in favor of the HSA.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For those who got HSA-eligible plans, are you finding that the premium is slightly higher than the equivalent non HSA plans?

But I'm looking at two Bronze plans on Covered CA from the same carrier. The deductibles are $5000 and $4500 for the HSA plan.

But for Doctor Visits, the regular plan is $60 copay after deductible is met while the HSA plan is 40% Coinsurance. So if the doctor charges $200 (don't know what they charge), you'd be paying $120 under the HSA plan or double the amount?

Though I do see that for things like lab tests, it's 30% coinsurance vs. 40% coinsurance in favor of the HSA.
The premiums are slightly lower for our HSA plan compared to the non-HSA bronze. Of course the up front medical costs will be slightly higher as copays are not allowed.

Coinsurance does not kick in until the deductible is met for the year. You'll be paying $200 in the above HSA example.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

I mean once I met the deductible.

But if I was going to the doctors that much, I guess the difference between $60 and $120 isn't that grand in the scheme of things. Or for that matter paying $200.

Though it would get me close to the OOP max, after which I guess I wouldn't pay.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I mean once I met the deductible.

But if I was going to the doctors that much, I guess the difference between $60 and $120 isn't that grand in the scheme of things. Or for that matter paying $200.

Though it would get me close to the OOP max, after which I guess I wouldn't pay.
That's right.

And I suspect the $60 copay for Drs visits are limited to X per year. They usually are.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #158

Quote:

The lower deductible on the HSA plan ($4500 vs $5000) would explain the slightly higher premium.

I do not have access to an equivalent non-HSA plan. The HSA plan I chose has a $5000 deductible and the closest non-HSA plan available has a $6350 deductible.

The 40% coinsurance is applied to the insurer's allowed amount (ie. fee schedule rate), not the provider's billed charge. The provider and insurer may have negotiated a rate lower than the charge. For example, the charge for an office visit is $200, the insurer's allowed amount is $125, and you are responsible for $50 (40% of $125) after the deductible is met and before the maximum OOP is reached.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #159
Administrator

Quote:

I'm not seeing that at all. In fact, BCBS Fl HSA plans are less expensive than the non-HSA when adjusting for deductible. Looks to me as if they are pricing to market.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote