Marijuana in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all of the interesting and thoughtful responses.

There appear to be a lot of variables involved with marijuana. Potency, and differences in strains - some of which reportedly promote relaxation, others which are more energizing.

I know people who do brilliant software engineering while under the influence of potent marijuana. Which amazes me - back in "the day", for me personally, pot and any kind of analytical work was definitely a disastrous combination.

No, I was more the type to get stoned occasionally and become kind of shy and stupid - but highly appreciative of music, art, and nature!

I may need to research the Washington State driving-under-the-influence-of-pot rules more carefully. I do remember that medical marijuana users were opposed to the initiative legalizing recreational use. Their objection was based on allegedly over-strict and non-evidence based new DUI rules. (I don't know if those rules, now in effect, are being enforced as written.)

I have encountered some reports that marijuana can have a protective effect with regard to Alzheimer's, though some would find that highly counter intuitive. But, opining re: the health impact of pot overall, is way out of my scope of expertise. Certainly taking smoke into one's lungs can't be good.

Once again, thanks to all for taking the time a reply. You give me plenty to ponder, and re-ponder...........

No, I was more the type to get stoned occasionally and become kind of shy and stupid - but highly appreciative of music, [-]art,[/-] and nature!

Sounds like me back in the day

If (or perhaps I should say when) my state (CA) fully legalizes it, such that I can walk into a dispensary or store and buy an edible or a few joints without having to sign anything, then I can see myself enjoying it very occasionally. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. I suspect that I'll do it for fun a few times after it has been legalized for recreational use in CA, and then most likely never touch it again. Heck, anything over a half-glass of wine alters my consciousness more than I'd like it to!

...Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. ...
1. Pay cash too. (Don't use your debit card.)
2. The high, even at today's higher potency, supposedly lasts one to two hours at most--a lot shorter than alcohol intoxication. Additional "hits" equal a longer effect, obviously. (Dunno why a cop, even a DRE one, would suspect you're under the influence the next day should you get into a fender-bender for any reason. An accident with serious injuries may result in a blood test and that may result in a different story altogether. How often does that happen in your life?)
3. Here in Washington state the salesmen are usually pretty good at explaining the different strains and their effects. "Altering consciousness significantly"? Unless it is a strain that affects (relaxes) the body more than the mind, at most you just over-think stuff, not hallucinate or "get weird." (You may get paranoid, however. Neil Young then suggests you eat a few black peppercorns--per an interview on the Howard Stern Show.)

From what I hear. :angel:

Last edited:
2. The high, even at today's higher potency, supposedly lasts one to two hours at most--a lot shorter than alcohol intoxication. Additional "hits" equal a longer effect, obviously.
True, but I was thinking about the length of the state of altered consciousness from edibles, which would be my preferred method of ingestion. I am a big lightweight too. I still remember a visit to Amsterdam about 10 years ago. Half of a space cake put me out of commission most of the night and made me feel uncomfortably "out of it" much of the next day too. Thankfully, my SO wasn't affected, and was able to drive us back to Paris.

Is sitting around smoking pot, eating and watching TV a complete waste of time? When you are 18 you think you have a lot of time. When you are 60 you ain't got that much time left.

Never smoked pot, but have smoked cigarettes for a short period. I've also tried hookah pipes, and enjoyed them. Hookahs are known to be almost as dangerous, if not as dangerous, as cigarette smoking. Is the same not true for a marijuana vaporizer? They work on similar principles albeit through different means...

If (or perhaps I should say when) my state (CA) fully legalizes it, such that I can walk into a dispensary or store and buy an edible or a few joints without having to sign anything, then I can see myself enjoying it very occasionally. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. I suspect that I'll do it for fun a few times after it has been legalized for recreational use in CA, and then most likely never touch it again. Heck, anything over a half-glass of wine alters my consciousness more than I'd like it to!

Yeah, they will put you on a list and throw up road blocks all over the state looking for you. :LOL:

In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp. I did in it my 20's, stopped until retirement in my 50's. What's not to like?

I think the idea that something could be listed as a Schedule 1 drug and legal some states is crazy. Sometimes states rights issues seem silly to me.

In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp. I did in it my 20's, stopped until retirement in my 50's. What's not to like?

I think the idea that something could be listed as a Schedule 1 drug and legal some states is crazy. Sometimes states rights issues seem silly to me.

+1.......Gee, I would never guess you might enjoy, BestSTASH!:cool:

Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp.

I've never done it but would readily try it .. IF it were truly legal. But will be damned if I'm gonna risk a run-in with the criminal justice system just for a "Test Buzz" .

The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.

One of the benefits of edibles in places where it has been legalized like Colorado is that the THC content is listed on the packaging so you know what you're getting. I did read a report where lab test showed a lot of inaccuracies in the amount of THC listed on edibles but that should improve over time. I could see it becoming similar to taking a drink where you know what the alcohol content is and have a pretty good idea what the effects will be and be able to control it. And like alcohol no doubt many will abuse it.

Yeah, they will put you on a list and throw up road blocks all over the state looking for you. :LOL:
I know, I know - it's irrational of me!

The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
If you're ever in the Bay Area, you can try the park next to my house when school gets off in the afternoon :LOL: (or the area on the east end of the Golden Gate Park, known as "hippy hill", at around 4:20 every afternoon).

Last edited:
I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.

That is a very good point. Like they say - "Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"

Many people seem to accept alcohol but think Weed is evil - I think the opposite is true.

Peace

I've never done it but would readily try it .. IF it were truly legal. But will be damned if I'm gonna risk a run-in with the criminal justice system just for a "Test Buzz" .

They would probably give you the electric chair, razzy!:facepalm:

That is a very good point. Like they say - "Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"

Many people seem to accept alcohol but think Weed is evil - I think the opposite is true.

Peace
Together in moderation my friend.;)

I have never tried marijuana (or even smoked a regular cigarette) but if I had a medical condition that would be improved by it's use, I would try it, particularly if it were legal here. I don't see it as any worse than a prescription drug or alcohol, all of which can have dire consequences in excess.

I'd bet there's a late teens, early twenties guy walking out of his parents' house and up to some cars, right in your neighborhood, or in the next neighborhood over. I've seen that in three different neighborhoods. In two of the cases, the residents of the neighborhood were convinced that the kid was selling. As for the third case, I just watched him and thought, "yep, that's gotta be it". The problem is that you might have a hard time convincing him you weren't out to bust him, hehe!

23 states allow medical marijuana and getting approval for it can be easy. Start by getting comfortable saying this phrase with a straight face: "Is medical marijuana right for me?" In WA, I was able to get a prescription very easy by looking up "green wellness" naturopathic clinics, scheduling an appt for MMJ evaluation, and stating I had knee/joint pain and was tired of taking Aleve chronically (puns happy accidents, for a multi-level reference for ya). Office visit appt fee is around $200 and there is an annual renewal appt fee, so its not free, and there is some amount of rigor in the evaluation process. In WA the prescription means you can grow your own in addition to buying from collectives. Very satisfying growing your own produce! Now in WA, it is recreationally legal as well, however you still need the Rx to grow your own, unless you get approved as a licensed producer.

I'm here to tell you, pot is almost as enjoyable in retirement as it was during the career. I now spend half my time in a misdemeanor state, and the other half in a state that will probably legalize or decrim in another year or two. It will be nice to be able to not have to worry about the police, and even better to know that they'll be able to spend their time on real criminals.

And to the poster up above who said something about sitting around watching TV, that's not what happens (unless you want it to). Especially if you're smoking a sativa strain instead of an indica. I use it while hiking, kayaking, playing music, cleaning out the garage, going to movies, working in the yard, hanging out at music festivals with my friends (you know who you are), whatever I choose. Not all the time, just when I feel like it. It improves my focus, and is just a lot of fun. I don't use when I'm woodworking, climbing ladders, other times when it would be stupid.

So I would say go for it, and if you like it do it. If not, don't. That's all most of us ever wanted, the ability to choose without the fear of jail. Definitely don't worry about the feds, they won't be going after individual users.

I'm here to tell you, pot is almost as enjoyable in retirement as it was during the career. I now spend half my time in a misdemeanor state, and the other half in a state that will probably legalize or decrim in another year or two. It will be nice to be able to not have to worry about the police, and even better to know that they'll be able to spend their time on real criminals.

And to the poster up above who said something about sitting around watching TV, that's not what happens (unless you want it to). Especially if you're smoking a sativa strain instead of an indica. I use it while hiking, kayaking, playing music, cleaning out the garage, going to movies, working in the yard, hanging out at music festivals with my friends (you know who you are), whatever I choose. Not all the time, just when I feel like it. It improves my focus, and is just a lot of fun. I don't use when I'm woodworking, climbing ladders, other times when it would be stupid.

So I would say go for it, and if you like it do it. If not, don't. That's all most of us ever wanted, the ability to choose without the fear of jail. Definitely don't worry about the feds, they won't be going after individual users.
And we all shine on...

Why do any of you want to sit around smoking pot? Ok, if you want to do this once a month and balance it with helping in a VA clinic and working with homeless that is fine but I cannot help but read into these message that you all want to vegetate in front of the TV. Do you all not see the horror?:nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom