Showtunes

Oh oh, I see Porky waiting in the wings.....

My mother used to sing me that song. She never mentioned that it was about a man and a woman, and I always assumed it involved siblings!

Amethyst

My mother used to sing me that song. She never mentioned that it was about a man and a woman, and I always assumed it involved siblings!

Amethyst

That was a reference to a shooting challenge. PBS had a good show (American Experience, maybe?) about Annie Oakley. I recommend.

I remember seeing Annie Get Your Gun at a community theatre when I was a little girl. It was all great fun and we went home singing that song. I certainly internalized the message!

No doubt it's heresy, but I am not a fan of "Memory." Its sentimentality and melody are so out of line with the rest of the show, it's positively jarring. T.S. Eliot must still be spinning in his grave.

Amethyst

I would love to see that show (never have). If it's good music, it's all right with me.
Live performances are the best, even when the music isn't your preferred type - at least for me.

Live performances are the best, even when the music isn't your preferred type - at least for me.

When I was in grade school, I appeared in a production of The Music Man (on clarinet). We were told to play lousy :)

That means you squeak a lot (easy to do on woodwinds).

Last edited:
The 1936 version of Showboat with the great (and blacklisted) Paul Robeson is a huge favorite of mine. He did a number of versions of Ol' Man River as time passed and his feelings developed - not a shy man about making his own mind up and acting accordingly. As a result, and probably because of our enhanced sense of political correctness it is very difficult to find a copy of that version though it speaks volumes on race issues - in fact I just learned it has been released on DVD this year. Good for us being able to view it again.

My gal and I sing this one back and forth to one another:

Not sure if this counts as a show tune, since it's from an opera, but I always loved Summertime from Porgy and Bess. I probably break out into it a dozen times/year for no particular reason.

My favorite version is this Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald version. My parents had the record and I remember listening to it in when I was still a toddler.

And speaking of un-PC tunes, I've always had a weakness for this one from the original Producers, probably my favorite musical of all time.

Not sure if this counts as a show tune, since it's from an opera, but I always loved Summertime from Porgy and Bess. I probably break out into it a dozen times/year for no particular reason.

That's a musical number (a classic one) and I think quite appropriate for this thread!

I'm going to throw this out as a follow up to harley's post of "Summertime". This is definitely not a show tune.

It's not some guy playing Gershwin, it is Gershwin, from a piano roll.

The tune is called "Sweet and Lowdown".

http://youtu.be/BX9MCyO6smk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom