Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
Could someone point "the rest of us" in the right direction to find a similar website for "normal age" retirement and "somewhat" higher than median net worth?
<chuckle> no, make that <giggle>
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would also suggest giving the site some time. We are going to retire when I am 60 and DW, is 65, so not that early.

We use an FA with a negotiated rate.

We do not live lavishly but are by no means frugal.

So we don't fit a lot of the regular profiles here but we love the site and get a lot out of it. Give it a chance......
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

This site has been one the most useful url's I came across. It's not about having millions to retire. It is about people who live within their means in order to retire early, which I figure is less than 62. You can retire whenever you want, depends on the life you want to lead. After ready numerous posts here, I figured a way of life that I allows me to retire at 58 1/2, one year from now. I will be able to some traveling (although spending weekends in Paris is out now), buy a nice car (although the porche or Ferrari or Alfa romaeo is no longer on the table). Bottom line, I will be living a life where every night is Friday and every day is Saturday. Anyone can do it. Just commit to your own personal lifestyle, pick up a couple of suggestions from this website and plan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Joe0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh and is there some kind of glossary for all the acronyms around here. DW?, FI, FIRE? Etc.

Joe0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0401 View Post
Oh and is there some kind of glossary for all the acronyms around here. DW?, FI, FIRE? Etc.
Check this out:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0401 View Post

While your looking at those check out: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=34884

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #27
Administrator

To the OP:

There are certain things that are universal, regardless of the amount of your nest egg or your age. For example

1. How do I identify, track and manage spending in retirement? What expenses can I realistically expect to forego and what additional expenses have I not given sufficient thought to?

2. If I retire prior to Medicare eligibility, how will I bridge the gap in terms of health insurance? What things does Medicare cover and what does it not?

3. What is the best mix of taxable and non-taxable investments?

4. What is the best portfolio allocation for me?

5. What are my plans for my elder years when I may not be physically or mentally capable of caring for myself?

6. What should I do about my heirs? How should I split my estate? Should I bequeath equally or in proportion to need? Should I gift early?

7. How can I best protect my assets from voluntary or involuntary creditors?

8. What should I do with all my time in retirement? How can I relate to my peers who aren't retired?

9. What can or should I do about profligate relatives or friends?

10. Whats the best way to leave my current employer?

11. How do I downsize? Where should I live?

And many, many more. On this board, I learn answers to questions I didn't even know I should be asking. And I only do that by listening to people who are not in my exact situation. An echo chamber benefits no one.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Joe, my post was a duplicate. Gumby's post really documents my perceived value of this forum. I don't know where I can get this type of value anywhere else. This place is a gold mine. Sure there are different viewpoints, those are the ones I learn the most from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Yep - I know I've received valuable advice from this forum on each of the 11 items that Gumby lists. Although I planned my retirement from the information I found here, I now get great post retirement tips almost daily.

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had hunted the various forums before landing here several years ago. I lurked for a few years, too. The ER forums is really a community which will grow upon you as you become familiar with the people and the basic philosophy of economic freedom. It takes a little time to get into the groove. Then it becomes a way of life. I check in about every day to see what's going on around here. I retired almost a year ago, and the ER forums had a lot to do with my money handling and wealth management. Now, for me it's not so much about the money or work part anymore, it's about seeing how everyone else is getting along. The other forums out there are not really quite like this one.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Loaded ? Hell, every time a million dollars is mentioned in a thread, I offer myself up for instant adoption.

I found this site right after I FIREd in Spring 2007. I got a bit blown away by the stock market and financial analysis discussions, but I stuck with it and LEARNED so much. The math I'm used to is calculus, experimental data processing and display, and binary systems, not this straightforward business stuff. Eek!

The only advantage I had was that I had already read Bogle's Common Sense on Mutual Funds. I had skipped over most of the pictures.
I did purchase several of the recommended books. There's a link for those here on the site somewhere. A little help, please ?

So hang in there. Take it a step at a time and spend the time reading the fabulous links posted here. My eyes glazed over on many of them, I assure you. But at least the terminology started to make sense after a while.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Festivus isn't till tomorrow. You're airing your grievances early.
I had no idea what you were referring to. So off I went to Wikipedia.

OMG, I love it.

Today is FESTIVUS !!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

OMG, I love it.

If you had no idea what Festivus was, you need to find that episode of Seinfeld on YouTube or somewhere. It's unforgettable!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

OMG, I love it.

I had to look it up too. This site is so educational and I learn so much here! Of course not all of it is actually useful....
Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #35

Festivus...What are ya...A bunch of Soup Nazi's?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

+1 to Gumby's list.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
As others here have noted, saving part of each paycheck over a long period of time (30 years?) and LBYM during that time span is an easily obtainable goal that the great majority of Americans can cross. The majority of ERers seem to have found this out on their own.

Understanding how SS can work in your favor is yet another dandy than can make ER a breeze.

It's difficult, but it's not really hard.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote