Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Great post! I hope the mc crowd will report back on some of their trips.

I am looking forward to ER later this year and my goal is to visit as many National Parks as I can the first couple of years. 1st trip will be from Illinois to Tucson to visit some friends.

Any suggestions of places I shouldn't miss would be appreciated. The more obscure sights off the beaten path - the better.

Wish the DW would join me, but she has an annoying habit of falling asleep on the back after a couple of hours. I keep feeling her helmet hit me between the shoulder blades...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5035.jpg (681.4 KB, 12 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Great post! I hope the mc crowd will report back on some of their trips.

I am looking forward to ER later this year and my goal is to visit as many National Parks as I can the first couple of years. 1st trip will be from Illinois to Tucson to visit some friends.

Any suggestions of places I shouldn't miss would be appreciated. The more obscure sights off the beaten path - the better.

Wish the DW would join me, but she has an annoying habit of falling asleep on the back after a couple of hours. I keep feeling her helmet hit me between the shoulder blades...
you know with that bike... the correct application of bungee cords could keep her sitting up right! Would be more difficult is you had a dual sport.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We did a nice 6,000 mile route over 6 weeks this past summer, starting in Seattle and going up the Canadian Cassiar Highway (which was incredible) to the Yukon, then back down through Alberta into Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado before heading pretty much straight back to SC through Kansas and Tennessee.

Our route is here: Team Dixie Chickens | Team Dixie Chickens Bus

We stayed at State Parks (called Provincial Parks in Canada) except for a couple of nights at friends' houses and one in a hotel (very exciting to do laundry).
Highlights for us were the aforementioned Cassiar (if you go that way, be sure to also hit Liard Hot Springs up by the Yukon...awesome!) and and the two lane from Wyoming into Utah that goes by the Flaming Gorge recreation area. We stayed at a random Forest Service campground that was stunning!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

The drive trips that I found great and remain my favorites over the years are -
Driving the bridges to Key West
Alt M89 from Flagstaff, AZ to Cottonwood, Jerome, and Prescott, AZ
Rt1 along the coast of California (LA up to Santa Cruz)
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another vote for the Ride Reports forum at Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum. Lots of good reading and great pictures. Well worth a look, whether you're a motorcyclist or not. "Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense" and "Borneo Equator Expedition - Jungle , Swamps and Heatstroke" are among my favorites.
RS53576GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #26

Im leaving on a 3 week mc trip next week with 3 friends. We are leaving norCal thru Lake Tahoe to 395 south and down to Rt 66. We will ride on as much of old 66 as possible. We are going thru NV, AZ and New Mexico. Then North to CO for some exploring and then west to home.....very excited to get on the road, like a kid at Christmas! The guys Im riding with are old/good friends. Who you travel with can make or break a trip - Ive logged many miles with these guys and always have great times. 10 days to launch

If you have not ridden the west coast from San Diego up to WA state.... Its a must do
Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #27

When I first retired in 2000 I took a 10,000 mile 35 state cross country trip from CT to CA. Spent 40 nights on the road. I went the southern route out and Northern route back. I had planned on camping but in the end only camped 3 nights. Super 8’s, Mom & pop motels and Motel 6 were so cheap that it wasn't worth the effort to camp. Got one speeding ticket in Oregon and replaced a rear tire in Sturgis. If your traveling in early May a heated vest is a life saver especially in the high desert and Mountain passes. I met many interesting people along the way. Overall a great trip. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #28

I forgot to mention that we plan to drive thru Death Valley! The plants should be blooming and temps not to hot ( 1st week in April ). We have several spots in the valley we plan to check out.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Is that the motorcycle before the invention of the motor?
I think so. I'd like to get a motorcycle, but I wouldn't take it on a long trip. I like to travel during the winter/ early spring and a motorcycle won't handle weather out of the Chicago area.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I think so. I'd like to get a motorcycle, but I wouldn't take it on a long trip. I like to travel during the winter/ early spring and a motorcycle won't handle weather out of the Chicago area.

I'd like to get a motorcycle too, but they're too dangerous. DW would kill me.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #31

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html

Kirk creek , Julia pfieffer , and lime kiln referred to in the above page are good spots , you probably can't go too wrong with any of them though.

Kirk creek is what I'd pick if I had to pick one...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #32

I second the recc. on the Adventure rider forum. There are several regional forums included there that frequently get requests such as yours. The responses will vary depending on the bike you choose, of course.

There are >280,000 members, so plenty of experience there.

Also, I ran across a campground app that looked useful:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camp...370820516?mt=8

one is available for android, too.

Have fun, and don't forget the cramp buster...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #33

Blue Highways is a fine book, as is Steinbeck's Travels with Charley. Highly recommended, both.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote