Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting article in USA Today about staying fit in retirement.

Retirement: The payoffs of an active lifestyle

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...vity/70726862/
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 52 but most days feel much older. Of course I'm still working full time, getting up at 4 a.m., commuting 2 hours and not exactly eating all that healthy. Can't wait to retire, get off this treadmill and have time to get back into shape.
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm speeding up at 56.

Four years ago I was sick and heading toward an early grave thanks to a sedentary retirement lifestyle and the standard American diet. Metabolic dysfunction and plenty of mobility issues woke me up to the fact that the remaining years were going to be short and miserable if I didn't fix it. I started studying everything I could about health, fitness and nutrition and began to make radical changes. What put me over the top was hiring a personal trainer and training 4-5 days a week with him. That eventually transformed to adding in extra training sessions on my own so now I work out every day, most days twice a day, and recently experimented with three sessions in one day.

It's all an n=1 experiment for me to see how healthy and fit I can become. The experience has been phenomenal. I've progressed to the point where physically I've fixed almost all of the mobility issues and my overall fitness and athletic ability is better than when I was a 19-year-old Marine just out of boot camp. A couple of years ago my biggest compliment was a twenty or thirty-something coming up to me in the gym and saying "I want to be as fit as you are when I'm your age". Now, they say they want to be as fit as me at their current age and they want to work out with me or have me help train them.

It hasn't been cheap, and I spend a lot of time on it, but the rewards are worth every penny and second of time I've invested.

The two lessons I have learned are: First, even though I thought I knew how to train - I was so wrong about so many things that I would never have achieved anything close to my results if I had not broken down and hired a trainer. Second, high-intensity athletic training is the best way to improve health, fitness, metabolism, mobility and increase longevity and life satisfaction. Every year I get stronger, faster, healthier and happier.

I've steadily increased my travels in the last year and walking and getting around are not an issue at all.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How do you get your Dr. to test for female hormones? Mine act like "if you don't have hot flashes, your hormones are obviously OK." I have had several blood tests in recent years, and the only hormones I recognized on the read-out were Vitamin D and thyroid.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I started not sleeping well at night - something that had gradually worsened over a few years, and when my progesterone was found to be low and out of balance learned poor sleep was a symptom among many others. And I just thought I had "poor sleeping habits" or just spent too much time reading my iPad at night. Take progesterone and suddenly I'm sleeping through the night after years of not doing so.

I was also very low in Vitamin D and a few other essentials which I have been correcting through vitamin supplementation and my health and sense of well being has improved.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

At almost age 68 I am slowing down. I can tell a big difference since I retired over three years ago. I still walk two miles a day but some days I have a hard time. I keep on going though.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I'm speeding up at 56.
That's a very impressive story. Congratulations!

I couldn't see myself putting that much effort into it, but I know that many can. As long as you enjoy it and see the benefit from it, you're doing the right thing.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting follow-up: I talked with a couple of HS girlfriends who recently took similar trips and I would consider them about the same level of fitness/activity. They both said they did feel the difference on their trips and they attributed it to slower recovery in the sense that they took no days off. So it wasn't just us.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How do you get your Dr. to test for female hormones? Mine act like "if you don't have hot flashes, your hormones are obviously OK." I have had several blood tests in recent years, and the only hormones I recognized on the read-out were Vitamin D and thyroid.

Amethyst
I think you need to find a new doctor. Mine is somewhat aggressive about testing for and treating hormone imbalances. He only prescribes bioidentical hormones however.

Mine new immediately that I was likely estrogen dominant because I had suffered from fibroids, and recently my endometrium had started to thicken. These are signs of "estrogen dominance", fairly common in premenopause, and with some long term health risks - same as taking estrogen supplements without progesterone.

I did the blood spot test from ZT Labs and the results showed progestone quite low and estrogen normal. My doctor aims to maintain a certain ratio, thus my progesterone supplementation.

The ZT Labs blood spot (from a finger tip) or saliva tests are best for measuring hormone levels. Drawing blood to send to be tested is apparently not reliable enough.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #69

Quote:
I think you need to find a new doctor. Mine is somewhat aggressive about testing for and treating hormone imbalances. He only prescribes bioidentical hormones however.

Mine new immediately that I was likely estrogen dominant because I had suffered from fibroids, and recently my endometrium had started to thicken. These are signs of "estrogen dominance", fairly common in premenopause, and with some long term health risks - same as taking estrogen supplements without progesterone.

I did the blood spot test from ZT Labs and the results showed progestone quite low and estrogen normal. My doctor aims to maintain a certain ratio, thus my progesterone supplementation.

The ZT Labs blood spot (from a finger tip) or saliva tests are best for measuring hormone levels. Drawing blood to send to be tested is apparently not reliable enough.
OK, a guy here. But, FWIW, DW is OBG, and therefore following hormone research for almost 30 years. She finally quit the "monthlies" recently at 54. Based on what she has read (and subjective "scatterbrainedness"), she is doing progesterone transderm patch, 6 months after stopping.

ETA: She deems "bio-identical" to be akin to voodoo or homeopathy. :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Audrey. I'm looking for someone else, although it is a hit-or-miss ("hello, can you tell me before I make an appointment, what is Dr. X's attitude toward HRT?")

As for the Internet, either it's crack/quack sites hawking dubious supplements, or extremely generic verbiage from MDs (even the NIH papers don't want to commit to anything). Frankly, I think women's hormones, like everything else about the female reproductive system, are ridiculously taboo, considering half the human population is female.

Amethyst

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Thanks, Audrey. I'm looking for someone else, although it is a hit-or-miss ("hello, can you tell me before I make an appointment, what is Dr. X's attitude toward HRT?")

As for the Internet, either it's crack/quack sites hawking dubious supplements, or extremely generic verbiage from MDs (even the NIH papers don't want to commit to anything). Frankly, I think women's hormones, like everything else about the female reproductive system, are ridiculously taboo, considering half the human population is female.

Amethyst
My doctor suggested reading "What your Doctor doesn't tell you about Menopause" by Dr. Lee. Dr. Lee is a proponent of natural progesterone (as opposed to Premarin or progesterone that is not bioidentical) when I asked him about the progestone I am taking. That book may answer some questions for you or at least give you the background you need to find the answers.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

It is likely that I am slowing down at age 67. Between figure skating, workouts, Ju-jutsu, kayaking in the summer, lumberjacking year around at the mancave's 14 acres I have not had time to notice it.

Do feel a lot better compared to when my workouts consisted of commuting to and from w*rk in hell hole charm city, dealing with union crap all day, attending useless meetings, generating reports that no one gave a damn about.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #73

No. Not at all. I believe "aging" or "stamina" or "energy" is a function of diet and exercise, as well as anything else we choose to ingest. I've been lifting weights since 20 and been on a strict healthy diet since late 20's. What most people consider as "eating healthy" I do not. Masseurs have said mine is the body of someone in their 30's and I have never looked better physically.

I was just thinking this week how I'll be 60 in about a week and feel like about 37. This business about one's metabolism slowing as one gets older is nonsense--mine sped up when I turned 50. As to stamina, this year I've been going out dancing (hard for cardio purposes) for up to 4 hours at a time without stopping.

While I love getting older, since the age of 30 I have constantly tuned out the noise regarding age as a limitation. Many people choose to see getting older as moving into "end of life". I choose to not see it that way at all, but to see it as expanding into the next phase of life.

Age is a mental disease, socially contagious, and one which must be mentally inoculated against, IMO.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

We know we're slowing down as we get older......otherwise 50 and 60 year olds would still be playing major leage baseball. On the other hand, diet and excercise will keep us healthy and slowing down less than those that don't. People tell me I don't look my age....am in better shape than most my age but I know I can't do today what I could do 10 years ago. I go a little slower on my treadmill, lost a little balance.....don't run up the steps two at a time any longer.....but I feel great.......FOR MY AGE.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
We know we're slowing down as we get older......otherwise 50 and 60 year olds would still be playing major league baseball. On the other hand, diet and excercise will keep us healthy and slowing down less than those that don't. People tell me I don't look my age....am in better shape than most my age but I know I can't do today what I could do 10 years ago. I go a little slower on my treadmill, lost a little balance.....don't run up the steps two at a time any longer.....but I feel great.......FOR MY AGE.
This is so clearly true. Over 20 years ago Sabremetricians pretty well proved that major league ballplayers were mostly over the hill by the time they were 30. What are the chances that some 60 year old retiree is not?

Zero. I am now 74. I gauge how I am doing by how well I can keep up with the sidewalk traffic coming up the hill out of the public market, about a 1 1/2 mile walk pretty much all up hill but far from the worlds steepest hill. In fact, far from Seattle's steepest hill. Hint: I have lost a bit, even in the ~10 years that I have been living here. And since I think that there are somewhere between 0 and very few 84 year olds making good time up this hill, I'd say I will likely lose more over the next 10 years.

Another thing is how often I want to do anything very strenuous. If I keep things moderate, daily is best, it keeps me grooved. But when I start pressing, I am looking for a day off. For a while anyway my plan is to row moderately every day. and add whatever walking or other non heavy duty exercise as the opportunity arises. The last 2 weeks I've been doing about 10k
per daily session. Today I went up to 11k, and after a week if I feel good I'll go to12k. I arrived at this strategy because when I go to bed early after this type workout, I sleep much better than my background level, and I love to sleep long and well.

As far as looking good, I'm biased, but if I were a young woman, I would not be tempted. Not even a tiny bit.

Ha
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is so clearly true. Over 20 years ago Sabremetricians pretty well proved that major league ballplayers were mostly over the hill by the time they were 30. What are the chances that some 60 year old retiree is not?

Zero.
Jeez, crushing my dreams. I'm out there all season hoping for the scouts to notice me and sign me to a contract. My 52 MPH fastball and knee-to-knee infield range has to be useful to some team, right?
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

8 months into my ER, I think I can probably say that I am now in the best shape of my life...did I look better without a shirt when I was 28? Probably...but my current 43 year old self could easily out pace the younger version in, let's say, a 12km run...that I did this morning in one hour flat.

I am not sure how long I can keep this level of fitness up - no matter how dedicated I remain with the weight training and cardio I know that I will hit a "wall"...that being a certain biological age. I'd like to think I have ten years of high physical capability left in me. I'll need it...my next ten years are AMBITIOUS.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Definitely. I used to consistently drive 5 to 10 over, now I drive right at the speed limit.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Talking
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
Jeez, crushing my dreams. I'm out there all season hoping for the scouts to notice me and sign me to a contract. My 52 MPH fastball and knee-to-knee infield range has to be useful to some team, right?
I suggest you try the Cubs...